Advice on road selection TFOs

dallee

Reaction score
Gang, I am in the market for a new fly rod. 90% of my fishing is warm water ponds/rivers/small lakes for big bream. We have small stocker trout in the winter months but they are usually smaller then the big perch I catch, lol.

So I am in the market for a new 2wt rod and was thinking about going with the TFO in either the Professional or Finesse series.

Does anyone have any experience with the two and can you tell me the pros/cons comparing the two?

I was about to buy the finesse model 2wt which I believe was 7'3" long but they were out and the gentleman at basspro said I should get the professional model in a 2wt as they were basically the same and they had that one in stock.

Well I figure if they were basically the same then there wouldn't be the two different models but I don't know.

Looked on TFO's web site and about the only thing I could tell was the professional may have a little more distance (but I don't know how much) and the Finesse has more accurate precision.

I think if the finesse can cast a decent distance and has more "feel" to it I'd prefer it but to be honest I am not so sure the precision is needed perch fishing like it would with trout.

Well there you have my long winded question. Any help is appreciated as I really don't have a clue which one to go with. Price doesn't matter for the difference in price. Already have a reel for it.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I can't speak for the 2wt but I had the Finesse in a 1wt. I sold it really fast. I won't blame it all on the rod , my casting stroke certainly isn't perfect by any means. I found the finesse to be to soft. If there was a 3mph breeze I couldn't cast 15 feet of line. I would probably love a Finesse in a 3/4wt. But the super light didn't work for me.

I like slower rods but the finesse to me had zero backbone and couldn't generate any line speed. I know I know a 1wt is about delicate presentations not line speed , but this was to far to the wrong extreme for me.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Don't know if this will help ya , but i have a Redington CT , 7 1/2 two weight. I like it a lot,,but,,you aint' gonna lay down long cast,,,or at least I'm limited to about 45 ft on a good day.

Iv hefted the one wight TFO's...there's not a lot of rod there,,even if it IS small trout or panfish you are after.

newby

Reaction score
I have a TFO Finesse 7'3" 2wt and it is a great rod- though very different from the pro. It can throw a small streamer, hopper droppers, and nymphs with ease, obviously not meant for heavy stuff but it handles it well for a 2wt.

When you are talking about 2 and 3 weights wind is something that is always going to be a pain in the butt to deal with, though with a faster rod it may be a little less noticeable.

Wait until they have both. Ask to cast both. Try each in a 3wt as well. See what feels best to you.

dallee

Reaction score
I really appreciate it guys. Seems from the comments they are for sure "not about the same"

I really wish I could try them but all our fly shops were ran out of business when Academy and Gander Mountain came in to town and if you've been to either you know fly fishing equipment is very marginal at best.

I think I'm going to try and find a shop in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex where I can cast them both.

Kind of thinking now that the finesse might not work. If I can only get 45' cast which is only 15 yards, I don't think that will work on some of the ponds I fish where I am standing on the bank.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I really appreciate it guys. Seems from the comments they are for sure "not about the same"

I really wish I could try them but all our fly shops were ran out of business when Academy and Gander Mountain came in to town and if you've been to either you know fly fishing equipment is very marginal at best.

I think I'm going to try and find a shop in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex where I can cast them both.

Kind of thinking now that the finesse might not work. If I can only get 45' cast which is only 15 yards, I don't think that will work on some of the ponds I fish where I am standing on the bank.
I agree, stores like Gander Mt don't have a decent fly rod selection.

Also if you need any sort of distance 45' + a 1 or 2 wt would not fit the bill. Even a 3wt IMO loses effectiveness and some accuracy at 50+ feet. Personally I don't find the ability to get extra distance until I get in to my 4wts.

dallee

Reaction score
I agree, stores like Gander Mt don't have a decent fly rod selection.

Also if you need any sort of distance 45' + a 1 or 2 wt would not fit the bill. Even a 3wt IMO loses effectiveness and some accuracy at 50+ feet. Personally I don't find the ability to get extra distance until I get in to my 4wts.
Yep, know what you mean. I am now rethinking everything and plan to go an cast both and just go with the one that feels the best for me.

After I made my last post I rethought it all. I was thinking 45' wasn't good enough when I was making my post but since then thought the same thing you noted. Probably ain't going to get much more than about 45' out of anything in the 2wt category.

Just got through reading a review of the Orvis Superfine 2wt and they were saying the same thing. About 40 or so feet is about tops.

I think the 1wt and 2wt I fish with now aren't casting as far as I just assumed I was.

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
Yeah, 1-2 wts aren't distance rods. I am not a good caster but can throw 50 ft of line with my Redington CT 2wt with a little effort on a calm day. But how many times are there perfect conditions on a Texas lake or creek?

Those light rods are presentation casters for short distances and small fish. As a native Texan, I've wanted to like the TFO's but I always seem to pass them up. If you want a light, moderate action rod that will throw some line but make a smallie feel like a monster, I'd suggest 4 wt like a Redington CT which can be had for ~$80 right now (fishwest.net) and includes the rod tube that a TFO doesn't. I have the 8' 3wt 6pc, what a cool rod?

Big fan of the Redington's and their warranty!

yonder

Reaction score
I have a finesse 2 weight and I like it very much....but I only use it on the upper blue lines for brook trout here in N.C. It is a softer, say more flexible rod than the professional. TFO has outstanding customer service......trust me I know....but for lake fishing for bluegill, etc.......I would take aggie outlaws advice and pick up a redington CT before they are gone.....I picked up two of these in 3 and 5 weights.....I consider them to be medium action rods, similar to the finesse series.......but at half the price with a rod tube. Just my humble opinion, of course......:)

trout4me

Reaction score
Yeah, 1-2 wts aren't distance rods. I am not a good caster but can throw 50 ft of line with my Redington CT 2wt with a little effort on a calm day. But how many times are there perfect conditions on a Texas lake or creek?

Those light rods are presentation casters for short distances and small fish. As a native Texan, I've wanted to like the TFO's but I always seem to pass them up. If you want a light, moderate action rod that will throw some line but make a smallie feel like a monster, I'd suggest 4 wt like a Redington CT which can be had for ~$80 right now (fishwest.net) and includes the rod tube that a TFO doesn't. I have the 8' 3wt 6pc, what a cool rod?

Big fan of the Redington's and their warranty!
Thanks for the tip - I just ordered a 6pc 3 wt from fish west. I wanted a light wt short rod that I could stow in my jeep so I could hit streams anywhere anytime.

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
I love the CTs and that 3wt 8' doesn't feel like a 6 pc rod. It's fantastic for the price and size!