Rod Length Controversy

troutnut4

Reaction score
I recently read an interesting article in "Mid Current" regarding the difference (slight), that length makes in a fly rod. The article was written by Philip Monahan and he interviewed a number of experienced people including some that you might recognize depending on your location. This might be interesting to you as well and your comments to the article are welcome.:welcomean
The site is Mid Current Fly Fishing and the address is news@ midcurrent.com

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Here's a link to it. I had to search around for a while because it's not in MidCurrent's "news" section, it's in the "ask the experts" section:

What’s the Right Length for a Trout Rod? | MidCurrent

Once I started reading it I realized I had read it before. It's been up on their site for a while.

I tend to agree with the Orvis guy who said that the 8' 6" is often the sweetest rod in any particular series, because it has the right combination of both length for line control and lightness for balance. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best for any particular purpose, though. As you go longer than that you are adding more material to the stiffest, heaviest part of the butt section, which makes for a clumsier rod, but you will gain reach and mending ability. As you go shorter you may gain finesse and delicacy, but you will lose distance.

Tom Morgan, the legendary former rod designer at Winston, offers his own thoughts on rod length and line size here:

Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Yellowstone Country Water

L

Liphookedau

Back to the Old Story "Horses for Courses".
I have at Present Rods from 7'9" to 10ft,they are of course for different applications,I am in The process of Building a 10'6' Switch Rod,even though i find difficulties in Netting Fish with my 10' Rods I am curious to see how they go over here..
For years I used an Old Heavy Fibreglass in a 9'6" then I moved back to an early 8'6" Carbon Fibre,now with The introduction of Light High Modulus Carbon Fibre as Larry Kennedy mentioned The Longer Rods have become Lighter I find The best length for my style of Fishing to be 9'6".
Many people now use The Switch & The Spey Rods because they are not only Lighter Than The Old Salmon Rods of yesteryears,greater Length Casts Can be still Made,larger Flies are mainly used,more Water can be covered & made axcessable.
Brian.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
That lightness they are talking about in the difference between 8' 6" and 9' is nonsense. In fact I don't believe for a second that an 8' 6" in any series of rods will out perform the 9' unless they just botched the rod in some unimaginable way. And yes, longer is better. Longer and longer and no I am not compensating for anything! :D

Meatco1

Reaction score
It's not the length of the rod that matters, it's how you wave it that counts!!!

Respects,

Richard

Last edited:

dpreller

Reaction score
yeah i used to like shorter rods the way they feel etc then i was convinced by a friend of mine and flyshop owner to use some longer rods on our tailwater trout for easier mending and dealing with difficult currents. now im definitly sold on them for those situations. still like a short rod on small streams and such but for tricky currents nymphing mending etc a longer rod does a great job. i own four nine footers now in four through 7 wt and only one 7 1/2 4wt one 8ft four wt and a 81/2 3wt.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
as long as it's a "2 hander"....
'Tain't necessarily so. One of the 'biggest mistakes' I see new folks make is 'over rodding' for the fishing they intend to do. For 'pure fishing' most folks should stick with a 12'6" to perhaps a 14 foot rod.

Are there times when shorter, or longer, are appropriate? Indeed there are, just like when a 10wt rod (salmon fishing) would be in order.
:fishing:

glcaddis

Reaction score
My personal favorites are in the 8 to 8'6" range. I have a 7'7" that I love for small stream, tiny flies, and small trout. I have a 9' rod that I use when fishing from a drift boat with dries and nymphs. I have another 9'6" rod that I use for streamers. But, if you told I could have only one rod, it would an 8'4" 5 wt.

FrankB2

Reaction score
There's nothing that feels more comfortable in my hand all than an 8'6" rod. I do own 9 foot rods, but they were bought for power (Sage Z-Axis being one).
I've never cast a Z-Axis less than 9 feet, but one of the guys at Leland Outfitters told me the 8'6" 5wt Z-Axis was a fantastic casting rod. I do more fishing than casting, but he seemed to really like the shorter length.

wt bash

Reaction score
These threads are getting as tired as a fat cop chasing a crackhead! I don't care who said what to who about how long the optimum rod should be, I fish with what I want and that happens to be shorter rods.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor

petee

Reaction score
What controversy :)? You're going to use whatever length rod works for a given situation. I'm not going to use a 9' 1wt. on a 3' wide brushy creek just because its a 1 wt. Just like I wouldn't use my 6'6" 2wt Bamboo in the ocean.

Granted a longer rod works great for mending and bigger waters, but a guy still needs to learn to cast whatever rod is in their hand for that particular situation. Just like golf clubs. You aren't going to use you driver for every shot just because its the biggest club in your bag ;-)

Last edited: