Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: impact of rod color?

Blog Entries

Default impact of rod color?

so, having rods of various colors I'm trying to correlate the impact of color on results, in terms of casting distance, number of hookups and the ability to land fish quickly (so as not to hurt them). It may be that the impact of color is only felt in the casting stroke, though I've heard others intimate that rod color, coupled with colors of rod socks and tubes can skew the results over time.

It's understood by some that color, whether of rod, sock or tube also drives the geographic orientation...for instance, green rods made in the west, which is really nearer the middle, but who cares....are best fished in the east because of the larger water molecules in the west. (that's what "big water is, right?)

Personally, I prefer brown rods in shorter lengths (6'6"-7'6") while grey, matte black and blue dominate my longer rods. It's suggested that the rate of refraction needed to move the rod thru the color spectrum slows the line speed to allow for a dry dropper....although yarn is clearly superior to thingamabobbers on a falling barometer.

Have there been studies that I've not found that explain, once and for all, the impact of the interrelation of rod color and line color? Combining this data and applying chi square test for statistical relevance revealed nothing, especially when factoring metal vs wood reel seats.

That doesn't even scratch the surface of wader and shirt color in the equation. Blue shirts with tan waders can provide the same reaction as tan shoes with pink shoelaces, although that song came from the '60s...and tie dye was left out of the study.

Can anyone help?

Default Re: impact of rod color?

???????????????????? you just made me have an acid flash back!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

This is the second satirical thing related to fly fishing that I have seen in as many minutes today.

This was the first

Fly Tyin' with Uncle Ken: The Wooly Bug - YouTube
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

4. Likes rubberguy, mista_bob liked this post
    Blog Entries

i must say i've never heard of any thing about that.
    maybe someone else can chime in with an answer but i have no idea.
    i agree with bill though....pretty trippy

ARFE

Yes........I can help...........but first.....we are going to need some gunpowder.......some chewing tobacco.....a can of crisco....and a live rooster.......
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    Yes........I can help...........but first.....we are going to need some gunpowder.......some chewing tobacco.....a can of crisco....and a live rooster.......
    How big a rooster and how much gunpowder?

8. Likes mcnerney, fyshstykr liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
    This is the second satirical thing related to fly fishing that I have seen in as many minutes today.

This was the first

Fly Tyin' with Uncle Ken: The Wooly Bug - YouTube
    Let me make it a hat trick:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdkojxrEsM]Meet Hank Patterson! Your Fly Fishing Guide. - YouTube[/ame]

Satirical? You mean, he's not serious about that?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Blog Entries

Clearly, I did a poor job of explaining the issue and any attempt to clarify would only make things worse, but I feel compelled to try.

The true question is in the impact of overlining with willow color and underlining with yellow or orange, since the rod weight impacts distance and accuracy in the shade matched to the reel exponentially. See?

Then, when switching from LFW to RHW because of shifting wind and current conditions the anglers finds himself in a consolidation conundrum, of sorts.

If willow color (wc) is in the LHW mode and the shade is agressively asserting itself, then (((wc*lhw)/wind)/.033)=angler IQ

I think it's pretty simple, as long everybody agrees that the 9504 Zaxis is the best 5 wt ever made, except if you're not a sage guy....then it's probably a featherlite if you consider cost/utility in Texas as opposed to Tucson, where it's snowing on the match play.

Blog Entries

I do believe I have now seen or read or heard it all. My response would be a simple question "HUH?!?" or perhaps, "DUH?!?" Whatever, I'll just go fishing now...

I say you pay attention to those Hank videos as he has some 'GUD', as in gee you dee gud, info that might help...Good luck in your quest.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast