Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SAGE ONE: Looking for thoughts...

Default Re: SAGE ONE: Looking for thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    With the current offering yes. They have had other rod/reel combos with their lifetime membership offering in the past. I'm sure at some point they will change the offering again.
    Yes, but it will never be to an 8wt. Delicate little trout...

Mike

I checked out TU's website a month ago and the offering then was a Scott fly rod, I believe a 8'6" 5wt G2 with a Hatch reel, so the offerings do change every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    I cast a 9'0" 5 wt. One when they first came out in the Summer of 2010. I cast it side-by-side with my Sage Z-Axis and, in the end, I kept the Z-Axis and let the One go. I think I posted a short review on the One back at that time.

Last Winter for a project, I built a Sage One 6 wt.; for heavier streamer fishing and when the wind picks up. It's a very nice blank.

Pocono
    George Anderson compared the ONE with Hardy's Zenith, and wasn't excited about the Sage until they got to the 6-weight: Sage One Fly Rod Review - Yellowstone Angler

I've thought for a long time that not all rod designs would work well in all weights. That's based on actually fishing some of Sage's rods in various weights, and wondering, "Why did they ever make this rod in that weight?"

That's not to say the ONE in a 5wt isn't going to be a fantastic rod. I have zero experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    George Anderson compared the ONE with Hardy's Zenith, and wasn't excited about the Sage until they got to the 6-weight: Sage One Fly Rod Review - Yellowstone Angler

I've thought for a long time that not all rod designs would work well in all weights. That's based on actually fishing some of Sage's rods in various weights, and wondering, "Why did they ever make this rod in that weight?"

That's not to say the ONE in a 5wt isn't going to be a fantastic rod. I have zero experience with them.
    Frank - The guys who own the fly shop I frequent are of the opinion that the 6 wt. is the best of the bunch.

Thanks everyone for the input and links.

Sounds like I won't be retiring the Helios. If the action of the ONE is the least bit different, maybe a bit stiffer/zippier, I can use it as a streamer rod.

I looked at the Winston and Scott when they were offered, but both of those were considered 'medium/midflex actions' so I felt that was too close to the Helios. I never casted either a Scott or a Winston, I know different manufacturers have different actions, although they try and use the same terminology to describe actions.

I also picked up a CF Burkheimer Vintage DAL trout 9' 5wt. It's their full flex rod. I wanted something in the same length as my Helios but a slower action. I like to change things up now and again.

I think that'll do it for 9' 5wts.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

How do you like that fine full flex rod ? I bet that is a sweetheart.

Blog Entries

I have a sage one 9-6, 5 wt. I love it. I can cast further with much less effort compared to my other rods. As with so many things in fly fishing, opinions vary greatly from one individual to another. I have always been a Winston guy, but this new Sage One has impressed me. I have had great success throwing indicators as well as dropping tiny 24s to rising trout. The extra distance I can get has actually opened up much water that I have previously had to pass on for being out of range.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input and links.

Sounds like I won't be retiring the Helios. If the action of the ONE is the least bit different, maybe a bit stiffer/zippier, I can use it as a streamer rod.

I also picked up a CF Burkheimer Vintage DAL trout 9' 5wt. It's their full flex rod. I wanted something in the same length as my Helios but a slower action. I like to change things up now and again.

I think that'll do it for 9' 5wts.
    I think you will like the Burkheimer. I have the 595-4 and it is my favorite single hand rod. I have not cast the 590, but I sold my Sage ZXL and XP once I bought the 595 and fished with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
    How do you like that fine full flex rod ? I bet that is a sweetheart.
    I wish I had the full flex burkie yesterday. I was fishing some tight spots on a local spring creek and would have liked a rod that loaded with less line on it.

Alas, I'll have to wait a couple more weeks. I ordered probably a week and half ago.

From what I've read I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

Shotgunfly, In reading my earlier reply and mini-review of ONE #5, do not get the wrong impression...the Helios has not been imagined that fishes in the same league as ONE. Nor is ONE a streamer rod; it is the most technical dry fly rod extant. As I said, I continue to thoroughly enjoy fishing Z- or Zenith but, if I am getting serious, ONE has no peers. I too have heard that the "sweet spot" in the ONE line-up is the #'s 6 & 7, this is due in part to the heavier lines being more obvious in the rods communication. The #5 is, again, in a class by itself.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Oh, and rig it with #5 RIO Gold (new version) this is the line the rod was designed to use and my tests using alternatives confirm this. It will cast a Grande or XPS fine but they rob ONE of some of its scalpal-like precision.

12. Likes shotgunfly liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast