St.Croix Avid Series

troutnut4

Reaction score
With time on my hands I have been giving my search engine a workout. I came across an article in the latest "Midcurrent" gear newsletter on the newly introduced AVID series green trout rod by St.Croix. Does anyone have any light to shed on this rod. Looks interesting from a price point ($25 - $300). What do you think of it? Is it :thumbsupu or not? Base your opinion on fishing streams and rivers for small trout, say a 4 weight 8 ft. or 8'6" if you have tried one out.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I had the sub 8' 3wt and like a dummy I sold it. I really liked it and minus some fit and finish I put it in the real of my ZXL 376-4. It was a great little dry fly rod for small streams.

Wish I hadn't sold it

plecain

Reaction score
I have the 9' 4wt version.

I use it a lot for mid-sized trout. It casts well for what I'd call a 'moderate' rod. If you like a really fast rod, this isn't the one for you.

The original post said 'newly introduced'. Mine is a couple years old, but has the same part number as current Avids. Are they really any different now?

troutnut4

Reaction score
I had the sub 8' 3wt and like a dummy I sold it. I really liked it and minus some fit and finish I put it in the real of my ZXL 376-4. It was a great little dry fly rod for small streams.

Wish I hadn't sold it
You can always correct your mistake. There's more where that came form.:smile:

comeonavs

Reaction score
You can always correct your mistake. There's more where that came form.:smile:
Oh trust me I would but I have added since I sold it a 1,3,4 wt TXL as well as the 3wt ZXL but My wife asked me to get birth control for my rod tubes...they magically reproduce in front of her eyes.

These are all 1,3,4 wt rods....one 6wt in there

troutnut4

Reaction score
Oh trust me I would but I have added since I sold it a 1,3,4 wt TXL as well as the 3wt ZXL but My wife asked me to get birth control for my rod tubes...they magically reproduce in front of her eyes.

These are all 1,3,4 wt rods....one 6wt in there

In some circles that might be called a disease instead of an addiction. Wow, I love it. Congrats.:thumbsupu:thumbsupu:thumbsupu

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I have a St Croix Imperial, 4wt, 9ft. It's what they call a fast action....well built rod,,but I am not fond of fast action rods. So, it sets home and I fish my Orvis med action Access or a Redington CT. I can't say about an Avid,,cept I'm sure it'll be well built. Action ? no clue.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have the 9' 4wt version.

I use it a lot for mid-sized trout. It casts well for what I'd call a 'moderate' rod. If you like a really fast rod, this isn't the one for you.

The original post said 'newly introduced'. Mine is a couple years old, but has the same part number as current Avids. Are they really any different now?
The difference from the older versions (prefix AFT) to the newer version (A) is the color change from grey to green, which they think is now in fashion and I could be wrong, the rod is a little slower than the previous one. :D

stl_geoff

Reaction score
the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

If you can get a good deal on one you wouldnt be disappointed.

comeonavs

Reaction score
the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

I definitely agree with you. It has been a few years since I sold the Avid but every time I think about fishing that rod I get misty eyed and nostalgic. I've often wonder if in my case absence makes the heart grow fonder but your comments reaffirm what I thought of that rod.

So.... Is it possible to fish one rod in each hand at the same time, because if so ill need an Avid back.:eek:

roofish

Reaction score

I have an Avid 7' 3wt as well.

I asked if anyone had a UL they'd be willing to let go really cheap to an old Disabled Vet, who wanted to try UL.

Considereing I had never used anything but a Traditional II 9' 5wt from Cabelas.

& this very generous individual offered me a what I though was a great deal.

& then he pm'd me & said "send me your address & it's yours".

I read that pm & closed it not really absorbing what it said.

About an hour later still at my keyboard, it dawned on me. So I re-read that pm & sure enough that's what it said.

Dumbfounded & Extremly Greatful. I replied & sure enough it came in the mail to my door.

As far as the action of this rod, well as already stated I'm no rod expert, but this rod.........

Gets plenty of Action
....I Love it & will never forget the very generous & kind person who Definately made this old Vets, I would say Day.

But the fact is every time I go fishing he makes my day. Thank you Dennis :)

Last edited:

flyfishingbum

Reaction score
I have a 9' 5 weight Avid - great rod for trout fishing in smaller rivers. It is definitely a mid-flexing rod. It handles an medium-sized indicator, bead head nymph, and small split shot nicely. A big indicator, large lead-weighted nymph, and big split shot is too much for it.

BigJim2x

Reaction score
southern Minnesota just left of the Driftless
I like St. Croix rods and have an Imperial that's great for chucking streamers. I to am looking for a softer action for the creeks and streams in my area so... I just scored a new old stock 8' 3wt on ebay for 1/2 the price of a newer model - besides, I like the gray better than the green. A winner all around.

Jim

axle27

Reaction score
I have an Avid in 9ft 5wt. It is a bit slower than what I'm used to. I've had other Avids and struggled to make them work they way that I wanted (one being an 8ft 4wt.). But, on a trip last fall, I literally stopped in the middle of the stream and asked myself "What does this rod want from me to work for me effieciently?" I changed by casting stroke right there and it came into it's own.

The Avids are excellent rods at a great price point. Were I you, I'd get one and throw some line.