St Croix Rio

dabluz

Reaction score
I really don't have the money for this.....maybe in early summer I will. The local fishing shop has some 9 foot 5 wt four piece St Croix Rio rods for 125 dollars. Is this a good buy? The next model up from the Rio sells for 200 dollars (almost twice but with rod case).

When compared to a Fenwick HMX of the same length at 200 dollars (however 2 piece), the HMX is stiffer.

I can buy a Reddington via the internet for about 140 dollars.

Which would be the best buy?

dhaynes

Reaction score
Can't tell about the price as it's not clear if you're quoting U.S. or Canadian dollars...

As for the Rio... I have one and think it is a very nice medium action rod. Compare the 9' to the 8.6'. You may find that it actually performs better than the 9 footer. I thought the 9' rod to be too soft...For comparison, they sell for about U.S$100 for a 2 pieced and about U.S.$110 for a 4 piece new...

Don't know much about Redington, but the CT (Classic Trout) has gotten a lot of very favorable comment and they carry low prices as they have been discontinued....

roofish

Reaction score
Definately not a rod expert, but I was given a St. Croix Avid 7' 3wt & if it's anything like it I'd buy 1, I LOVE MY AVID :)

dabluz

Reaction score
The rod has to be at least a 4 piece rod. It must be at least 8 1/2 feet long and 5 wt seems just about right for my use. I very rarely fish any streams. The smallest body of water I fish would be a small river. It seems that every time I go fishing.....it's windy...lol. I already have a 7 wt and a 9 wt rod and from what I learned from a previous conversation, I will find that the difference between a 7 wt and a 5 wt is quite noticeable.

I see so many rods priced in the 120 to 150 bracket but there are none in my region. Yes, the St-Croix Rio Santo is nice but it is not as fast as a Fenwick HMX.....so maybe a bit too slow for my taste.

Yes....I can test the St-Croix before buying. I will check out the other rods to see if I can order them.