Travel 5 Weights

flyfishingbum

Reaction score
I'm interested in an 8' 6" travel rod that is a 5 weight. I'm interested in one of the following...

- Orvis Frequent Flyer
- Cabelas Stowaway
- Albright A5-NS

I would like a rod that is definitely a mid-flex, not a tip-flex - something that has some feel for short casts, reach casts, etc. (I've also looked at a Redington Classic Trout 6 piece but that was a bit soft.)

Which of the above rods is mid-flex?

I know it isn't a 5 or 6 piece rod, but I have been looking at the Echo Carbon 5 weight in the 8' 6" length. What is the action on this rod like - is it a mid-flex?

Is there maybe something else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for the insights!

moucheur2003

Reaction score
The Orvis Frequent Flyer is described as a mid-flex on their website. I believe it is the same blank as the old 7-piece Trident TL, which I bought when it was discontinued a few years ago. If so, it is a bit tip-heavy because of the extra weight of all the ferrules. However, this may also be true of the others you are looking at as well -- it's also true of a 6-piece TFO Pro 9' 6 wt I have, for example. I find you can correct that problem by balancing it with a heavy reel (mine is a Redington AS).

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have cast both the Orvis and Albright rods you are asking about: the Orvis is, and I say this without prejudice, terrible. The Albright is surprisingly nice and not too fast.

logic1

Reaction score
I have an Albright N5 6 weight that I use for streamers, nymphing, pretty much everything. I got it for a spare/travel rod and have ended up using it most of the time. Not a super fast rod and very affordable.

mi_trouter

Reaction score
Personally, I'd look for a Redington Wayfarer. 5 pc. Discontinued but often on ebay. Or, trout unlimited gear reduction (donate tab) as an outfit. $175 Outstanding 5 pc, med fast rods. I own them in 3 through 8 wt for travel. (which I do 30 plus weeks a year)

copy & paste from tu.org:
Redington Wayfarer Fly Rod & GD Reel Combo - 9', 5 Wt., 5-piece Rod

Donation amount: $175.00
Retail value: $200.00

Package contains one 9', 5 Wt., 5-piece Wayfarer fly rod with Redington GD 5/6 titanium reel, WF-5 fly line, 100 yds. of 20 lb. Dacron fly backing, and a rod/reel case.

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
Well, the Stowaway is on sale for $99 right now. It made the choice easy for me, a new 8wt is on the way!

caseywise

Reaction score
s&s,
just curious why the orvis was that bad.
i've considered this rod for extended hiking/canoe trips,
and i would love to hear your critique;)

casey

mrfzx

Reaction score
Good luck with the Stowaway. My personal experience with them has been less than great, but maybe I am too picky.:rolleyes:

mysticm

Reaction score
Another one to consider is the Redington CT 9' 5wt, 6piece version. Extremely portable, very low priced these days and has a pleasing action (mid to soft flex)
I have the 8' 3wt version of this rod and love it.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find a CT 5 wt 6pc? I also have the 3wt which is a nice rod.
The inventory of discontinued CT's seems to be winding down, but keep an eye out on the auction website for any stragglers.

The same rod has been renamed the Tempt for this model year, and it lists at retail for $190. You should be able to find them at most Redington dealers.

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, why do you need it in so many pieces? I took a 9' 5 wt. with me on an airline flight last Fall and carried it on. A 6 pc. 8' 6" rod should fit in your pocket almost. :confused:
For me, I like packing the rod in the suitcase for travel and backpack for backcountry fishing. The size difference is significant to me but the performance difference is negligible on my 6 pc CT.

The inventory of discontinued CT's seems to be winding down, but keep an eye out on the auction website for any stragglers.

The same rod has been renamed the Tempt for this model year, and it lists at retail for $190. You should be able to find them at most Redington dealers.
I spent $82 per rod on my new CTs. I just can't bring myself to pay double!

Good luck with the Stowaway. My personal experience with them has been less than great, but maybe I am too picky.:rolleyes:
These get overwhelmingly positive reviews online. I'm curious to hear your criticisms.

Reaction score
Hi, I was in possession of all three rods. "And the winner is....... Albright" Since Five years is this my absolute favorite Rod. Smooth, nice Swing Weight and affordable! The other multible Piece Rods are too stiff and irksome!:( Look at Yellowstone Angler Shooter Out 5# 2009. i can agree with that! Got now 4 A5 !
Gruss aus der Schweiz,René

Pocono

Reaction score
I have a 7 piece March Brown Hidden Waters 9'0" 5 wt. that used to travel with me all the time in the saddle bags of my Triumph Bonneville. It's a nice rod, certainly medium action and packs down to about 13", I think.

I bought it about 4 years ago; I haven't heard a lot about the company recently. But, they look like they're having a pretty good sale right now............

Fly Rod Sale

Pocono

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Back in my wilderness back packing days I had a 5 piece fiberglass Scott Pow-R-Play with an LRH and it was a surprisingly fine outfit which employed ingenious hollow spigot ferrules intended to enhance the taper (hence the "Ply" in the name). I travel a lot on airplanes to fish and carry multiple three and four piece rods as carry on luggage in a 6" diameter hard carry tube. I suppose where I traveling via motorcycle (in which case my trip would be at least as much about the bike as fishing) a 5, 6 or 7 piece rod (I think the old Hardy Smuggler is 7 pieces) such a compromise would be within reason. However, if fishing is my intent rather than, "I'll try to squeeze a morning on the local creek in...", I am going to stick with a 4 piece rod.

Much better than they used to be, 4 piece models are the dominant design today but that does not mean the ferrules do not affect the action. Simply cast a 4 piece Zenith next to its 1 piece equivalent and it will blow your mind! I did that with my beloved Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 next to its 8'10"/#4 one piece sibling at Somerset this January and, though I will continue to plane travel with the 4 piece, I have my heart set on the 1 piece version for travel by car (it easily will fit in my old VW Passat Fish Wagon). Yes the old Redington, newer Albright 5 piece rods are not bad back-ups, I have two: a 5-weight which is pretty good and an 8-weight which is less so, but even with improved and computer aided design, the more ferrules the worse the rod. A 9' 4 piece rod easily fits in my wheeled duffel and, if not in yours, you should be shopping for new luggage not a compromise rod. If I still had the physical ability to back pack up into either head water area of the Bob, I would strap an 8 1/2' 4-piece rod to my pack because, if I were lucky enough to ever fish the upper Flathead or better yet, Sun, ever again I would want a great rod, not a compromise, along for the experience.

barham

Reaction score
I agree with Logic1; I have had an Albright A5 5wt 9' which casts right up there with my Winston B3x and Sage SLT. You can buy the newer version, which is the same as mine, for about $150.00.
barham