Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel 5 Weights

1. Default Travel 5 Weights

I'm interested in an 8' 6" travel rod that is a 5 weight. I'm interested in one of the following...

- Orvis Frequent Flyer
    - Cabelas Stowaway
    - Albright A5-NS

I would like a rod that is definitely a mid-flex, not a tip-flex - something that has some feel for short casts, reach casts, etc. (I've also looked at a Redington Classic Trout 6 piece but that was a bit soft.)

Which of the above rods is mid-flex?

I know it isn't a 5 or 6 piece rod, but I have been looking at the Echo Carbon 5 weight in the 8' 6" length. What is the action on this rod like - is it a mid-flex?

Is there maybe something else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for the insights!

Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

The Orvis Frequent Flyer is described as a mid-flex on their website. I believe it is the same blank as the old 7-piece Trident TL, which I bought when it was discontinued a few years ago. If so, it is a bit tip-heavy because of the extra weight of all the ferrules. However, this may also be true of the others you are looking at as well -- it's also true of a 6-piece TFO Pro 9' 6 wt I have, for example. I find you can correct that problem by balancing it with a heavy reel (mine is a Redington AS).

I have cast both the Orvis and Albright rods you are asking about: the Orvis is, and I say this without prejudice, terrible. The Albright is surprisingly nice and not too fast.

4. Likes Guest1 liked this post
  5. Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

I have an Albright N5 6 weight that I use for streamers, nymphing, pretty much everything. I got it for a spare/travel rod and have ended up using it most of the time. Not a super fast rod and very affordable.

Personally, I'd look for a Redington Wayfarer. 5 pc. Discontinued but often on ebay. Or, trout unlimited gear reduction (donate tab) as an outfit. $175 Outstanding 5 pc, med fast rods. I own them in 3 through 8 wt for travel. (which I do 30 plus weeks a year)

copy & paste from tu.org:
    Redington Wayfarer Fly Rod & GD Reel Combo - 9', 5 Wt., 5-piece Rod

Donation amount: $175.00
    Retail value: $200.00

Package contains one 9', 5 Wt., 5-piece Wayfarer fly rod with Redington GD 5/6 titanium reel, WF-5 fly line, 100 yds. of 20 lb. Dacron fly backing, and a rod/reel case.

7. Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

Well, the Stowaway is on sale for $99 right now. It made the choice easy for me, a new 8wt is on the way!

Blog Entries

s&s,
    just curious why the orvis was that bad.
    i've considered this rod for extended hiking/canoe trips,
    and i would love to hear your critique

casey

ARFE

Good luck with the Stowaway. My personal experience with them has been less than great, but maybe I am too picky.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Another one to consider is the Redington CT 9' 5wt, 6piece version. Extremely portable, very low priced these days and has a pleasing action (mid to soft flex)
    I have the 8' 3wt version of this rod and love it.

11. Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

Anyone know where to find a CT 5 wt 6pc? I also have the 3wt which is a nice rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast