Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Dan, We might be the only two but I bemoan the day Orvis started this whole business about "unconditional" warranties. Doesn't every one get it that we are paying roughly 20% more for our rods that feature "you break, we fix" guarantees? I'd much rather pay less and treat my rods properly. I've said it before; I want Malt Whiskies to come with this warranty..."I just bought this bottle two weeks ago and now look at it! Empty and useless; I demand a refill!"

  2. Likes Rip Tide, recriger, Guest1, djamtime, dabluz liked this post
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Exaclty! It has done bad things to the industry and to the price of rods. There is a great deal of abuse that goes on with those "unconditional" warranties as well. As a result, those of us who treat our gear right are paying for those who don't. Socialism in fly rods.

    I don't remember if it was this forum, probably was since I really don't use any others to speak of, but there was a guy who said he accidentally "wink wink" broke his rods every couple of years just to keep his rods new. I went off on the guy and basically called him a crook. There wasn't a lot of support for his view, but if I remember right there was at least one that said that "was within the rules so why not?" That kind of stuff drives me insane.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Meridian, Texas
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Albright Products

    I have an A5 9' 5wt which I bought 5 or 6 years ago. I broke a section due to my own spupidity and Albright replaced it immediately. I also have several other 5wt rods such as Sage ZAxis & SLT & Winston B3X & WT, and think the Albright casts right up there with them. I see they are selling a A5NS rod, which I assume is an A5 with upgraded hardware for $149.95 online. I don't see how one could go wrong on that deal.
    barham

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Quote Originally Posted by barham View Post
    I have an A5 9' 5wt which I bought 5 or 6 years ago. I broke a section due to my own spupidity and Albright replaced it immediately. I also have several other 5wt rods such as Sage ZAxis & SLT & Winston B3X & WT, and think the Albright casts right up there with them. I see they are selling a A5NS rod, which I assume is an A5 with upgraded hardware for $149.95 online. I don't see how one could go wrong on that deal.
    barham
    Yes, I believe it is the original A-5, but with an upgraded nickel-silver ("NS") reel seat. And I agree it is an excellent value at that price. But its ostensible MSRP is $750, and I have a hard time believing it's in the same peer group as the best rods with genuine $750 MSRPs.

    (When the A-5 was first introduced, it was a direct competitor against the Redington Wayfarer at the exact same MSRP -- which was $195. And at that time, they were sold through retailers with the corresponding dealer mark-up, not directly to consumers online.)

  6. #15

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Of course, the principal of "original" Redington, pre-Farbank (Sage), which introduce the very nice Korean 5-piece series of rods, became a principal (long gone now) at Albright. Basicly the same rod from the same source (different name). One must expunge from ones' conciousness the made-up MSRP which never existed and no such rod was ever sold at or near that absurd price. Compare rods by price-point if you must but the price paid not fabricated. And the screaming deal at Albright is not the albiet nice A5NS but the #5 & 8 EXT or whatever the post EXS is now called. At a buck and a half, compare it to $350 rods like ECHO3 for example.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Of course, the principal of "original" Redington, pre-Farbank (Sage), which introduce the very nice Korean 5-piece series of rods, became a principal (long gone now) at Albright. Basicly the same rod from the same source (different name). One must expunge from ones' conciousness the made-up MSRP which never existed and no such rod was ever sold at or near that absurd price. Compare rods by price-point if you must but the price paid not fabricated. And the screaming deal at Albright is not the albiet nice A5NS but the #5 & 8 EXT or whatever the post EXS is now called. At a buck and a half, compare it to $350 rods like ECHO3 for example.
    It could well be. (Although they are $180. The A-5's are $150.) But here's the thing.

    The old EXS models were fantastic rods. They retailed through retailers for $400 or so and really were comparable to competitors that listed for $hundreds more. They got generally good reviews from retailers, customers and trade press alike.

    Just before said principal parted ways with Albright, they developed a model called "Tradewind" that was based on the EXS tapers, but was meant to be priced lower because it didn't have the same high-end nano technology and hardened quartz finish. However, he left before they were brought to market, and after he left the company liquidated all the Tradewinds at Sierra Trading Post because they didn't want the Tradewinds to compete directly against the A-5's. (I bought two of them for about $100 each. I like my 6 wt Tradewind a lot, but I have trouble getting the distance I want out of the 8 wt.)

    Then, a few years later, the company brought out two new "EX" labeled rods, a 5 wt and an 8 wt, which they claim to have "evolved" from the EXS. Curiously, though, they share with the aborted Tradewinds the absence of EXS's high-end nano and quartz design components. Are they truly a more sophisticated update of the older EXS series, or are they only retreaded Tradewinds with spiffier hardware? (And if they are so advanced, why make no other models than 5 and 8 weights?)

    I'd like to believe the company hype that these are even better rods than the EXS's were. But here's where the phony MSRP's come in. ($900 for the EX? Please. Said principal ended up at Hardy, whose widely acclaimed rods from Korea list for under $700 and are considered by some reviewers to be the best in the world.) They make it hard to believe that anything else the company claims is reliable. You are probably right that they are probably a better rod for $180 than the A5NS's are for $150, but it would be a lot easier to believe if, instead of listing bogus MSRP's for both series, they compared the A5NS more honestly against actual $200-$300 competitors and the EX models against actual $300-$400 competitors.

    From a business point of view, I can't understand the product positioning strategy. To me it seems a lot more sensible for a company to make a believable argument that it offers the best product in a given price range, than an unbelievable argument that it routinely offers extraordinary discounts for a high-quality, luxury-priced product when better competitive products carry lower list prices.
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-28-2013 at 12:02 AM.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Albright Products

    If you think their rods are only worth what they are getting at the closeout prices, you are wrong. I understand the argument that their MSRP prices are silly, and as I addressed before, I agree. But don't think for a second that the closeout price is what they really should sell for.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    If you think their rods are only worth what they are getting at the closeout prices, you are wrong. I understand the argument that their MSRP prices are silly, and as I addressed before, I agree. But don't think for a second that the closeout price is what they really should sell for.
    No, I've got two XX's and three EXS's, plus those Tradewinds I got from STP, so I don't think they make ****. I think they offer very good quality for the prices they really charge, perhaps the best, or at lest among the best. I just don't understand why they don't promote themselves that way. Are they at least as good for the price as other Asian importers like Redington, TFO, Greys,and Powell? Yes, and perhaps better, because they often can beat those competitors on price. But instead they try to pass themselves off as something they really aren't, and it makes the whole company seem somewhat dishonest.
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-28-2013 at 12:31 AM.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    it makes the whole company seem somewhat dishonest.
    I can't argue that. I'm sure they have someone high up in the company that thinks this is a good idea, but it clearly isn't. Look at the last half of this thread or virtually any thread where they are the subject. It all kind of goes like this. Then there is the whole "why buy before the closeout sale" training they are doing to a lot of people. It's a very self destructive sales strategy. No argueing that. But the quality of the stuff I have seen so far is all way more than worth the money.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Albright Products

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    It's a very self destructive sales strategy. No argueing that. But the quality of the stuff I have seen so far is all way more than worth the money.
    Yes, it's a huge distraction and casts a completely unnecessary dark cloud over the company and its products. They could be building an honest reputation for good products at attractive prices. Instead, the merits of their products tend to get overshadowed by questions about corporate integrity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Guideline products
    By hodge4394 in forum How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 05:32 PM
  2. Great Products
    By Pocono in forum Other Gear
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
  3. Orvis Products on Sale
    By MBWCC in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM
  4. patagonia products
    By thonyb in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
  5. Quality products......
    By fyshstykr in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •