Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Recommendations for a 1 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    although it probably has Tenkara written all over it, I'm not going to go there at this point.
    You're right. It has tenkara written all over it. You won't be able to fish it better with a rod and reel, no matter how light.
    Tenkara Bum

Default Re: Recommendations for a 1 wt.

Orvis Super Fine Touch 761-4, soft tip but enough backbone to push a fly when you need to. It's great on the 6" brookies.

I recommend a Sage TXL-F with a click reel. I have the 6'10" 3wt and love the rod. Just remember those small 1wts will be extremely tough to roll cast.

sbreech Guest

Either Orvis Superfine 1wt or Sage TXL (now Sage TXL-F). For some really enlightening information from some very well vested UL fly fishermen, check out Ultralight Flyfishing

5. Likes Pocono liked this post

I've been fishing an Orvis 1 wt rod regularly for the past 15 years and have never felt undergunned for trout up to 16". For the sake of being honest, I have gone mostly reel-less for the past 3 years, but that's another story.

One thing I will say, there is no need to restrict yourself to only the small stuff fly wise. A one weight rod will comfortably fish a size 14, maybe a size 12 or 10 unweighted fly.

If you think you are going to be hooking into some larger fish, be sure to use an appropriate sized leader so that you can aggressively fight the fish.

If you are interested in doing some reading, there are some interesting articles published here -
    Ultralight fly fishing for most warmwater, coldwater, plus some saltwater species -- with Bill Byrd

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

7. Default Re: Recommendations for a 1 wt.

I fish places like this...

For fish like this...

Or places like this...

For fish like this...

I've owned, fished, or lawn casted...

Orvis Superfine Touch 761-4
    Sage TXL 1710-3
    Sage TXL 1710-4
    TFO Finesse 691-4

I still own the TFO Finesse 691-4. Paired with the TFO BVK 0 reel, it's perfect.

My impressions of the above rods...

http://ultralightflyfishing.com/foru...hp?f=68&t=5876

Thanks for all of the input.

At the end of the day; which was yesterday, I decided to go with a 2 wt glass rod. I've always liked the feel of glass for fishing smaller trout.

I went to an Expo up in York, ME yesterday and cast 2 Hardy rods; the Aln (90% glass / 10% carbon fiber) and the Classic Lightweight (Flyweight) (10% glass / 90% carbon fiber) and the Scott rod. Of the 3, the Scott just seemed so right; in close at 5'. and out there at 35'. So, that's where I ended up.

I paired it with a Hardy Flyweight reel, DT2F line, a 6' furled leader from Joni and it's hitting the water with me tomorrow on the East Meadow River in Haverhill, MA.

Let's hope there's some action on this freshly thawed stream.

Pocono

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12