Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First fly rod

Default Re: First fly rod

Dan, you made me laugh out loud!

This is my last post on the subject. As several have noted already, the sage one is an extremely fast rod. it is in no way a beginner's rod. timing, don't you know, is everything when casting a fly rod, and that is most often an acquired talent. Few that have never cast a fly rod before would be very happy trying to learn to control that beast.

Since the OP doesn't have the luxury that you had, 1move, of taking his girl to the store to cast some rods, we have all been suggesting rods that a beginner might like to learn on. If they made a Sage One with training wheels, I'd be all over it for her.

Bye now.
    Gary

2. Likes 1move liked this post
    Blog Entries

and its a wrap......

ARFE

4. Likes gt05254, 1move liked this post

WAIT!....... Don't forget the Able nippers.
    Sorry. I just couldn't help it.

6. Likes Guest1 liked this post

LOL Bigtime.
    Gary

When you say "friend" what do you really mean? For me to buy a "friend" a $750 rod she better be amazing hahahaha

I'd look more at Redington or something like that, still a great quality company, but at faction of the price and would be easier to learn on.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
    When you say "friend" what do you really mean? For me to buy a "friend" a $750 rod she better be amazing hahahaha

I'd look more at Redington or something like that, still a great quality company, but at faction of the price and would be easier to learn on.
    Reminds me of a Parrot joke I once heard...."For $50 I want you " (It's not a family friendly joke. PM me if it gets the better of your curiousity.)

Yes and the key words being "easier to learn on".

I agree with Gary,even though it's a Very Nice Gesture to buy a close friend Nice Beaut Top of The Line Gear as I can see you want her to have The Best Available however being a Newcomer to Flyfishing it's very hard for someone to pick up,use & be happy with a Rod,Setup which will take a Bit of getting used to as it would have been better to get her Casting,then let her Choose what she likes & really suits her.
    I've seen it before where people,it's happenned to me,where Family or Friends been given a very Good Quality Product,they either change it for another one or eventually sell it as they have no use for it.
    Brian.

11. Default Re: First fly rod

I vote for a cheap LL Bean (Streamlight) or Cabelas rod (Three Forks or Stowaway, both on sale right now).

It would seem that the OP is getting the ONE from Trout Unlimited, and passing it on to his friend. Certainly a nice gesture, but even the seasoned casters here and elsewhere say that the ONE takes some getting used to, and that it's not the best rod in close. She'll likely be casting/fishing the usual 15-25 feet of line that most freshwater anglers do (at least I enjoy those distances), and fans of the ONE say it's not great at that range. Even George Anderson says he prefers the Z-Axis over the ONE at distances of less than 40 feet, and past that the ONE begins to shine.

Buying a premium rod for a beginner is not an impossible task, and a Sage ZXL is one of the most forgiving rods I've ever enjoyed. I've put in hands that have never touched a fly rod before (streamside), and spincasters found themselves casting with ease in a matter of minutes.

Casting lessons are a good idea as well.

13. Likes jaybo41, troutnut4 liked this post

Actually I would be signing her up for the Trout Unlimited Membership which includes the rod, reel, and line. The answers I received here are appriciated and I'm still considering them all since they all add to my decision on which rod she will end up with.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast