Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Best Trout Rods ?

Pretty subjective question. I'm not experienced with that many rods to really know.
    I really like my old school Sage RPL Graphite III. It's a 5wt 7 foot 9. It's great for the small rivers and streams I like to fish. It's long enough to fit in tight spots and has enough reserve to reach out on breezy days that are so often here on the Island. Plus it has tremendous sentimental value.

The more I grow with and learn about fly fishing, the more I'm coming to realize that it's the rod that chooses the fisherman and not the fisherman who chooses the rod. I think it has more to do with our flaws than with our skills.
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

2. Likes wt bash, kayo, biggie_robs liked this post
    Blog Entries

Just to be clear....the question is what's YOUR best trout rod ever...not what is THE best trout rod ever....right?

sbreech Guest

Mine would be my Orvis Superfine 4wt with a Nautilus FWx 3/4 hanging on it. It likes the Orvis Wonderline WF4F line. Enough rod for any trout around here, and fun enough for the smaller. Full flex, plenty of feel.

Even though the rod limits me to fishing the Eastern States, my favorite would be the Orvis Far & Fine.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

i have 2 that i love-
    1. sage vt2 7'9" 4 weight with a lamson ula2 reel and airflo tactical trout wf4-f fly line
    2. albright gp 7'6" 4 weight with a english made system 1 reel and orvis silver label wf4-f fly line.
    love both rods for totally different reasons. also the reels balance the rods well and, i think most
    importantly, the lines allow the rods to really do their thing
    two totally different rods, but i love em' both

casey

ARFE

My Loomis 9' 4wt IMX that I built around 92-93ish. I have many other "Trout Rods", but I reach for this one far more than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Just to be clear....the question is what's YOUR best trout rod ever...not what is THE best trout rod ever....right?
    Yes that is correct.

I'll add a few to my list:
    1-7'9" 5wt Orvis Rocky Mnt. F&F
    2-Diamondback All-American 805
    3-St.Croix Legend Ultras 804 & 8.5' 4
    4-Pflueger 7.6' 4/5 (cheap but great rod)
    5-Scott SAS 7.6' 4wt
    Last edited by attila; 03-08-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

I thought of not responding as it is hard for me to say what my favorite rod is but here is my take. a. Sentimentally, it is an 8 1/2'/#5 I built from a Scott blank that Harry himself picked out for me in 1989. b. Performance wise, Sage ONE 9'/#5 is an incomparable tight loop, high line speed, full size river, dry fly rod...period. c. Rod that means the most to me, would be my brace of Redington Nti "Nanos" a 9'/#5 and 8 1/2'/#4 both paired with Ari't Hart reels and SA XXD/Expert Distance Taper lines with Orvis braided butt leaders. These two 1990's rods and their 8-weight bonefish sibling informed and re-educated me about all the wonderful Scott, Sage and Loomis rods that came before and after them.

My Far&Fine and Scott #5 from the late 1980's

10. Likes caseywise liked this post
    Blog Entries

nice s&s!!

ARFE

Sadly I don't own it but I got to fish with a George Maurer 7' 4wt taper that couldn't be touched by any other rod I have fished/owned. Crispy and light at the tip but plenty of power down through the butt, tossed a 12/15' leader but could reach out to impressive lengths when you timed her right.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast