Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Trout Rods ?

Default Re: Best Trout Rods ?

Tom's article is what gave me the idea for this thread

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
    I once had an Orvis Far and Fine 5wt that would lay a line out like angels were bringing it down from Heaven on pillows of clouds. Once you had a fish on, you could feel current flow across it's nose. Far and away the most sensitive, all around wonderful'est, best'est awesome'est rod I even owned. Alas, I sold it during a dark time in my life. BUT, I just ordered an Orvis Superfine this very morning.
    Mine is the Rocky Mountain version I wanted to get a Super Fine as well but theyno longer make the 7'9" far n fine. What were you thinking Orvis ?!?
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

After consideration, my "best trout rod" would have to be my Tenkara Iwana. I can't possibly present a fly more delicately and with a better drift than any conventional rods. It allows me to fool even the most stream-wise trout.

However, I feel considerable satisfaction and joy casting with conventional equipment. In fishing the streams and small rivers of New England my favorite trout rod would be a 7' 5 weight Orvis Battenkill Impregnated bamboo rod. Built in 1965, it's still showing its worth.

My next choice, would be fiberglass. My glass favorite for trout is a 7' 3 weight Diamondback Glass. Other preferred rods: 7' 5 weight Browning Silaflex 222970; 7'6" 4-5 weight Cortland Leon Chandler; 7'6" 5-6 weight Cortland FR-2000; and 8' 6 weight Fenwick FF-7.

My favored graphite options for trout are all LL Bean rods: 6'11" 4 weight Streamlight; 8'6" 4 weight Travel rod; and 9' 5 weight Orion 3.

I just realized, that's 10 rods. Do I get penalized for having that many favorites for trout?
    Last edited by standman; 03-09-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by standman View Post
    Do I get penalized for having that many favorites for trout?
    Yes, you have to ship me the glass rods. I'll PM my address to you. Thanks for your contribution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikel: "Yes, you have to ship me the glass rods."

I appreciate your consideration for my "dilemma", but I think I'd rather send you my arm...non casting of course.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234