Best Trout Rods ?

attila

Reaction score
What's your best trout rod ever ? I don't know much about glass or boo but my vote is for the Orvis Far&Fine 7'9" 5wt. But Im fishing streams in the eastern US. What's yours ? List as many as you like :)

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The rod that my father built and gave to me on my 16th birthday
A Lamiglass 7.5' 4wt.... it was a pretty spiffy rod at the time and I still use it 40 years later.

shimloom

Reaction score
Well I just got a Hardy Zenith 9' 5wt that I haven't used yet, but, I'm sure from all that I have read it's a winner. Have a G.Loomis 3wt 8'8" Whispercreek GLX I love. Caught a 16" brown on it last year, that was a ride.

Craig

mikel

Reaction score
Orvis Superfine 6'6" 2wt...full flexing magic wand. Not sure how old it is as I found it used, but I've loved it for the last several yrs.

noreaster

Reaction score
Pretty subjective question. I'm not experienced with that many rods to really know.
I really like my old school Sage RPL Graphite III. It's a 5wt 7 foot 9. It's great for the small rivers and streams I like to fish. It's long enough to fit in tight spots and has enough reserve to reach out on breezy days that are so often here on the Island. Plus it has tremendous sentimental value.

The more I grow with and learn about fly fishing, the more I'm coming to realize that it's the rod that chooses the fisherman and not the fisherman who chooses the rod. I think it has more to do with our flaws than with our skills.:)

mikel

Reaction score
Just to be clear....the question is what's YOUR best trout rod ever...not what is THE best trout rod ever....right?

S

sbreech

Mine would be my Orvis Superfine 4wt with a Nautilus FWx 3/4 hanging on it. It likes the Orvis Wonderline WF4F line. Enough rod for any trout around here, and fun enough for the smaller. Full flex, plenty of feel.

caseywise

Reaction score
i have 2 that i love-
1. sage vt2 7'9" 4 weight with a lamson ula2 reel and airflo tactical trout wf4-f fly line
2. albright gp 7'6" 4 weight with a english made system 1 reel and orvis silver label wf4-f fly line.
love both rods for totally different reasons. also the reels balance the rods well and, i think most
importantly, the lines allow the rods to really do their thing;)
two totally different rods, but i love em' both:D

casey

fyshstykr

Reaction score
My Loomis 9' 4wt IMX that I built around 92-93ish. I have many other "Trout Rods", but I reach for this one far more than any other.:)

attila

Reaction score
Just to be clear....the question is what's YOUR best trout rod ever...not what is THE best trout rod ever....right?
Yes that is correct.

I'll add a few to my list:
1-7'9" 5wt Orvis Rocky Mnt. F&F
2-Diamondback All-American 805
3-St.Croix Legend Ultras 804 & 8.5' 4
4-Pflueger 7.6' 4/5 (cheap but great rod)
5-Scott SAS 7.6' 4wt

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I thought of not responding as it is hard for me to say what my favorite rod is but here is my take. a. Sentimentally, it is an 8 1/2'/#5 I built from a Scott blank that Harry himself picked out for me in 1989. b. Performance wise, Sage ONE 9'/#5 is an incomparable tight loop, high line speed, full size river, dry fly rod...period. c. Rod that means the most to me, would be my brace of Redington Nti "Nanos" a 9'/#5 and 8 1/2'/#4 both paired with Ari't Hart reels and SA XXD/Expert Distance Taper lines with Orvis braided butt leaders. These two 1990's rods and their 8-weight bonefish sibling informed and re-educated me about all the wonderful Scott, Sage and Loomis rods that came before and after them.

My Far&Fine and Scott #5 from the late 1980's

wt bash

Reaction score
Sadly I don't own it but I got to fish with a George Maurer 7' 4wt taper that couldn't be touched by any other rod I have fished/owned. Crispy and light at the tip but plenty of power down through the butt, tossed a 12/15' leader but could reach out to impressive lengths when you timed her right.