Fenwick fly rods..... any experience?

Cangetcold

Reaction score
Would like some input on this rod....
I have been looking at a Fenwick HMX 9ft 8wt. It’s being offered as a package at a local shop at a very attractive price bundled with a “good enough” reel and line. However I can’t find any user reviews for this rod.

I mainly use a Sage DSII 9ft 6wt and mainly fish trout in large lakes. What I am looking for is a stiff rod that will allow me to get distance in wide rivers or in wind and to use where there is the off chance to catch salmon. I would also use it as backup to the Sage for the lakes.

Where I am located (Reykjavik Iceland) the Fenwick package is priced at about a fifth of what I would possibly evaluate as comparable rods. Although saving 80% is great then standing on the bank of a river with an expensive permit and a broken rod is not… :smile:

headhunter

Reaction score
2 piece rod...not a favorite of mine for logistical reasons.

Casts fine...not the best...not the worst.

Okay rating is what I would give it.

For winds and longer casting look into a 2 hander...might make more sense than using an 8 weight.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Would like some input on this rod....
I have been looking at a Fenwick HMX 9ft 8wt. It’s being offered as a package at a local shop at a very attractive price bundled with a “good enough” reel and line. However I can’t find any user reviews for this rod.

I mainly use a Sage DSII 9ft 6wt and mainly fish trout in large lakes. What I am looking for is a stiff rod that will allow me to get distance in wide rivers or in wind and to use where there is the off chance to catch salmon. I would also use it as backup to the Sage for the lakes.

Where I am located (Reykjavik Iceland) the Fenwick package is priced at about a fifth of what I would possibly evaluate as comparable rods. Although saving 80% is great then standing on the bank of a river with an expensive permit and a broken rod is not… :smile:
fenwick was once a cutting edge fly rod company...it is not now... me thinks it's just a name purchased by third world opportunists...how expensive is your permit?? how often do you spend...let me suggest my opinion... if I am going to spend 1600 on three days of guided, bonefish, tarpon, bonefishing in the Keys, 1000 plus on lodging and food and 500 getting there...I would put chinese in my hand under those financial circumstances...sounds to me that you need(as a single hand not spey rod) a at least a saltwater 9 and probably a 10 wt...you might search some of the online fly retailers for old models or demos...if you PM me I will tell you where I have purchased with success...winston, sage,