Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: All around 4wt

Default Re: All around 4wt

Quote Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
    Thanks guys! I ended up getting the Sage One 490 paired with the Ross Evolution LT. Absolutely dreamy. Cannot wait to hook up...

Thanks
    Randy
    Where did you end up buying the rod? Just curious about the issues you had trying to demo the rod.
    Last edited by fishngolf16; 04-02-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Coy
    "Share your passion with others"

From my fly fishing mentor Steve.

Thanks
    Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

3. Likes fishngolf16 liked this post

I went with a Winston B2T 8'-6" 4 wt. What decided for me was spending some time casting several rods. I paired it up with a Hatch 3 plus reel and use SA Mastery Trout line and find the rod to be a very versatile trout rod.

Randy,

You should have waited and cast some of my Hardy Zenith rods!
    The 8'6" Zenith impressed Steve, and you know that can be hard to do. I tested a few lines on that 8.5 rod and the two that stood out to me are the Cortland Precision Platinum and the Trout Boss. I think the longer tapers feel the best on this rod. It is the smoothest casting rod I have ever cast. The entire line up is darn good. I took this rod out on the ponds at Anglers Covey with the Sage One in the same size and found that the Trout Boss (TB) is too light for the ONE. The GPX felt a lot better to me. The One was certainly stiffer and with the lighter TB line it had very little feel in close. The GPX made it feel better up close but I would hate to have to use a heavier line for a smaller size rod, used primary for throwing dries. Overall, I think the ONE is a great rod but for me, I think the Zenith has all the bases covered and then some. The GPX line was too heavy for this rod. It throws it off just a bit and is a noticeable bounce in the rod tip is too much for me. To me, an 8'6" rod should be matched to a standard size line. If you match it up with the right line, it just shines and it's such a joy to cast. That is all.......for now.

6. Likes trout champ liked this post

I fish both the Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 and 9'/#5 and the ONE of this same size. All three rods eschew over lining. The RIO Gold works very well on both 5-weights (I did try RIO Grande on the ONE and it was a de-sensitizer). The #4 Zenith loves the SA Textured Trout(Stalker)...this combo is a killer technical spring creek presenter. On a bit larger water, the ONE is a truly remarkable technical rod; not as sweet and more demanding than Zenith but its line speed, loop formation and communication is unparalleled. As a side-bar, my 9'/#4 is NRX rigged with SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper...these three rod series represent the high line-speed cream of today's carbon rods. I just rigged a Trout BOSS #5 on a reel but have not tested it yet, very soon though.

Juan,

I plan on casting the Zenith soon. Buying fly rods is a sickness and one, or in my case a dozen or so, are not enough. I hear the one piece rods are killer...

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234