Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Fly Rod?

Default Re: Wet Fly Rod?

As long as it's an Orvis,,who cares who makes it ?

LOL,,ok ok,,,put th rope up,,all in humor
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    In the old days before fiberglass and graphite, a rod with "dry fly action" was a crisper (and often shorter) rod made from the better strips of bamboo, so that you could dry your fly easily with quick false casts and they lay it down again precisely. Rods made from inferior bamboo usually didn't have the same crisp action, but were perfectly adequate for lazy, repetitive, down-and-across casting, and so were said by sunny-talking salesmen to have "wet-fly action". .
    Actually the wet fly action rods were made that way on purpose and were very good for mending

When I was a youngster, my grandfather taught me how to fish, and he fished REALLY "old school" with "cast" of 3 wet flies, a long leader, and a 9' cane "wet fly action" rod.
    It's a deadly way to fish that's pretty much forgotten.
    Anyway, the rod had a soft action unlike anything most people would be willing to fish today which made it very easy to mend
    They weren't so great for casting, but with a rod like that, you could make your flies dance
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Before choosing an outfit, I set my budget at $500.00 maximum. To include rod, reel, backing, fly line and leader. Rod and reel are listed, but backing, fly line and leader are not. The rod and reel cost just under $400.00.

Rod - TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse 8'9" 3 wt.

Reel - Cortland Sterling Mid Arbor Reel, 3-5 wt.

This outfit allows me to fish longer and is easier on my wrists, shoulders and back. I have landed a 6 pounder with this rig using soft shackle, short casts and tip up with a tight line. Plenty of other fish as well.

Hope you get a set up to your liking. Plus the fish as well - WIN/WIN!

Good Luck,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

When I was a youngster, my grandfather taught me how to fish, and he fished REALLY "old school" with "cast" of 3 wet flies, a long leader, and a 9' cane "wet fly action" rod.
    It's a deadly way to fish that's pretty much forgotten.
    There's an outfit in Central PA that still teaches this particular technique. It's called Wet Fly Waterguides.

I fished with Dave Allbaugh about 3 years ago on some of the better known Central PA water; Spring Creek, Penn's Creek, the Little Juniata, etc. Once you get the hang of casting a trio of flies without putting your leader into a knitting ball, it's pretty easy; down and across open casting stroke, one or two quick mends and let it drift into the center with slight intermittent lifts (at least that's the way that they do it). At several points I had multiple fish on the line at the same time and on one lucky cast, I had takers on all 3 flies. They start with 3 different flies; find out what the fish are biting on and then switch to 3 of the same fly. I still have some of their custom leaders that accommodate 3 flies.

Here's their website if you're ever in the Central PA area and want some wet fly action.

Home

The person who put me onto them was member "Greenwood". He's fished with them several times in the past. He's also a wet fly guy; particularly soft hackles.

Pocono

We always fished the same 3 flies. One dark, one medium and one light.
    I really don't remember what they were except that the dark one on the point was a black gnat.
    I think the coolest thing was that the top fly, called the bob, was held out of the water and with the action of the rod and the other flies acting as anchors, you could 'dap' it on the surface.
    You wouldn't believe how deadly that is.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes fishiowa, shimloom liked this post

Great info here! I knew that if I asked I would get lots of great advice. I was thinking of just using one fly, however, I think the two fly or even three would just be cool. I like the idea of keeping the third fly just on or above the surface. Thanks for all the great advice!

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I think the coolest thing was that the top fly, called the bob, was held out of the water and with the action of the rod and the other flies acting as anchors, you could 'dap' it on the surface.
    You wouldn't believe how deadly that is.
    That is interesting! Will definitely give that one a try this season; thanks.

Pocono

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12