Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Default Re: Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Quote Originally Posted by thorsten View Post

My conclusion: I am going to buy an Orvis Helios 76"/3wt. midflex rod when I will be the next time in the USA. Here I will take the combo with an Orvis Mirage LA I reel in gold
    Since the Helios 2 rod has a "black nickel" (dark gunmetal-gray) reel seat, I would suggest getting the Mirage reel in the matching black nickel finish, rather than gold. If you are going to fish mostly small streams with it, the flashy gold is also more likely to frighten fish accidentally than the darker finish.

2. Likes thorsten liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    Since the Helios 2 rod has a "black nickel" (dark gunmetal-gray) reel seat, I would suggest getting the Mirage reel in the matching black nickel finish, rather than gold. If you are going to fish mostly small streams with it, the flashy gold is also more likely to frighten fish accidentally than the darker finish.
    Does that mean that Orvis will stop manufacturing the "normal" Helios rods with the golden reel seats? That would be sad, that finish looks more beautiful in my opinion
    Furthermore, I can not find a 3wt. rod in the Helios 2 series
    Best regards from Germany,

THORSTEN

Quote Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
    Does that mean that Orvis will stop manufacturing the "normal" Helios rods with the golden reel seats? That would be sad, that finish looks more beautiful in my opinion
    Furthermore, I can not find a 3wt. rod in the Helios 2 series
    My understanding is that Orvis will retire the original ZG Helios models gradually as they introduce the equivalent new Helios 2 models. They are still in the middle of the changeover, with some H2 models already on the market and others not yet released. But yes, the gold ZG Helios reel seats are being replaced by "black nickel" reel seats in the H2 models. So if you want a gold reel seat, buy an original ZG Helios rod while supplies last.

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    My understanding is that Orvis will retire the original ZG Helios models gradually as they introduce the equivalent new Helios 2 models. They are still in the middle of the changeover, with some H2 models already on the market and others not yet released. But yes, the gold ZG Helios reel seats are being replaced by "black nickel" reel seats in the H2 models. So if you want a gold reel seat, buy an original ZG Helios rod while supplies last.
    Hello,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS!!

I will wait until I am in the USA in October, so that I will get the chance to check the Orvis rods by myself. I hope that Orvis will also manufacture a 3 wt. Helios 2 rod. The argument with the shiny golden finish is not uninteresting and so I would also take the black finish. Yesterday evening I searched a little bit in the internet and I found on the website of RST (German manufacturer) an interessting rod:

New RST M3 delight, the carbon bamboo fly rod | RST-Fishing

The manufacturing plant is close to a customer of mine and I will get a chance to visit the company in June.
    Best regards from Germany,

THORSTEN

Though I have not cast the specific model in question, all the H2's I have cast have seemed markedly superior in taper to the original Helios series. Thus, unless the gold colored finish is a principal deciding factor, I would recomend the darker finish on the H2's and go with the matching reel color as per Moucheur's suggestion.

7. Likes thorsten liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123