Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

I am thinking on an additional a light rod for dry fly fishing and I have these two rods in my personal thoughts:

1. Orvis Helios, 7´6", # 3wt.
2. Hardy Sintrix Zenith, 8", # 3wt.

Does anybody have personaln experiences with one or both of these rods? Unfortunately I have no dealer close to my home, so that I would be pleased to get some information from you in advance :fishing:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I have not tried either of those models, but in longer 5 weight rods I found the Helios 2 to be a little more delicate at short distances and the Hardy to be a little more precise at longer distances.

The reality is, Orvis and Hardy are two of the best brands in the business, and Helios 2 and Zenith are their best rods. You won't go wrong with either one.

boomslang

Reaction score
Don't send your money to Asia to later borrow it back with interest. get the Orvis.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

p.s. there is no such thing as "best rod"....

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Thorsten, I have no experience with the #3's. In the 8 1/2'/#4 I have compared them and give Zenith the edge and, as line size gets into the 5's < the Hardy's increase their advantage. Orvis's strength has long been in the little, light line delicate small stream rods, however, and, especially in H2, you can't go wrong with either.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I see you want a 3wt dry fly rod,,

Consider the Orivs most seriously. Personally, I'd eye the Orvis Superfine Touch for a most outstanding dry fly rod.

If in the end, you decide against an Orvis, consider the Winston's.

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

Many thanks for your comments - that´s GREAT!!

I already have one RST (German brand) #3-4 wt. rod and an Orvis Frequent Flyer #3 wt. rod.
The RST rod was a one-off production in 1995 and is a little bit too "rough" and handles also a 5 wt. line, but for nymphs it is OK (I guess they shorten a 5 wt. rod). The Frequent Flyer is a very nice rod, but I use the Frequent Flyer just for travelling and it also a little bit too long (8´6").

Because of that I am looking for a real sensitive, shorter rod for the fine dry fly fishing (or very light nymphs), which has a first-class workmanship
:fishing:

runningfish

Reaction score
I know you are asking about a 3wt not a 5 or 7. However, since I just recently bought the Helios and the Zenith, I feel I should chip in. I bought a Helios 7wt for bass. The 7wt Helios is a great rod, powerful, precise and easy to cast just like my helios 5wt. However, as much I liked the helios 7wt, I returned it and bought the Hardy Zenith 7wt instead.
The Zenith is more like the NRX and the Helios blended together, the tip is more sensitive, and unbelievable strong material (I am pretty much gullible), cost less and light as well.

If I had the money I would keep the Helios 7wt as well. My personal preference is going for the Zenith.

thorsten

Reaction score
I know you are asking about a 3wt not a 5 or 7. However, since I just recently bought the Helios and the Zenith, I feel I should chip in. I bought a Helios 7wt for bass. The 7wt Helios is a great rod, powerful, precise and easy to cast just like my helios 5wt. However, as much I liked the helios 7wt, I returned it and bought the Hardy Zenith 7wt instead.
The Zenith is more like the NRX and the Helios blended together, the tip is more sensitive, and unbelievable strong material (I am pretty much gullible), cost less and light as well.

If I had the money I would keep the Helios 7wt as well. My personal preference is going for the Zenith.
Hello,

Thanks for that detailed statement. I saw, that the Hardy rod is more heavy than the Orvis rod. It would be interessting if the weight is an appreciable difference.

shimloom

Reaction score
Just recently purchased the Hardy Zenith 9' 4wt. All I can say is WOW. This rod is just crazy good. I have no experience with the Orvis and I know they make a fine product. All I can tell you is that is I have the Zenith and the Hardy 2000 UL CC and GPX line, what a dream to fish.

Craig

burk48237

Reaction score
As the rep I haven't had the privilege of throwing the 8-3. But I had an 8-4 sample for quite a while and while the rod was very comparable to my Winston TMF in close. But the more line you get out the stronger it feels. Wether you need this in 3 weight dry fly rod is debatable. But I suspect that that extra reserve will show some advantages roll casting, and probably extend the usability of the rod on windy days. I personally only own one 3 weight (an old Hardy glass for small creek work). I use to own two others (a Winston LT 8'9" and Scott G 9") But wind was always the great foil that kept my three weights in the quiver.

boomslang

Reaction score
If you really want a delicate dry fly rod, the Winston WT model is an excellent choice. Orvis superfine would be another good choice. From the Hardy/grey's line - the streamflex 3WT are pretty decent. zenith would not be my choice for a light line dry fly rod.

jastrout

Reaction score
Burk 48237 . Now I know the comparison that I was looking for the Hardy 804. You are spot on as I enjoyed the 905 that George Anderson raved about but that 8' 4 was incredible. I had my hands on a TMF and let it slipped by but the Hardy felt as sweet in close and definitely stronger and just not pure dry fly.

thepharmacist

Reaction score
I own a zenith 490 and 590. The other day I cast the 8ft 4 and could not believe how much difference there was between my 9 footer and the 8 footer. The 8 foot rod is way way softer. I'd imagine the 8 foot 3 would be totally soft and awesome and sounds like what you are looking for.

runningfish

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for that detailed statement. I saw, that the Hardy rod is more heavy than the Orvis rod. It would be interessting if the weight is an appreciable difference.
Hello,

I also compared the weight aspect between the helios and the zenith before I bought them. And my take is that don't let the slight weight difference keep you away from a good rod regardless which one that you eventually pick.

Again, based on the 7wt not the 3wt.

The helios 7wt is 2 7/8oz which is 2.87oz, the Zenith 7wt is 3.24oz or 3 1/4oz, the difference is only ±0.37oz. Add the reel, backing and fly line and I can't feel that ±0.37oz.
It is like comparing Michael Ballack to Mezut Ozil, different size but just as good. ;)

By the way, Orvis Superfine Full Flex is a good addition to your short list.

Me personally will take on Tenkara if I had to fish that light.

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

....It is like comparing Michael Ballack to Mezut Ozil, different size but just as good. ;)

:lol2::lol2::lol2::thmbup: That is really a very lucid explanation - THANKS!!

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR COMMENTS!!!

At the moment I have really no glue which rod I will chose, but your comments really help me, because I really can see that all my own thoughts were reflected. It becomes also more and more clear that I need to go to fly fishing shops to hold both rods in my own hands, to be sure about my decision, even this will require some efforts. But I will use that rod for the rest of my life so that these efforts will be amortised after a while.

I will keep you informed about my project :secret::thmbup:

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

Here a short update of my plan to buy a fine rod for dry fly fishing (or fine nymph fishing) at small rivers (I posted this article in Paul´s thread too):

Last Thursday I went to a dealer who sells Hardy and Orvis. Unfortunately he did not have the 3wt. rods in his store, just the 4wt. rods.

But anyhow I was focused on the Hardy first. But when I have seen the finish of the Hardy rod I was a little bit dissabpointed with the finish of the Hardy rod. At the end cap of the rod was too much glue, which was welled out. And the upper part of the reel retainer was made out of plastic. The Hardy rod was made in Korea, but even my Orvis Frequent Flyer rod are made in Korea, but they have a much better finish. It seems that Hardy was not very carefull with their controll of their incomming goods :(

The Orvis (mid flex) rod was much better made, a really nice rod. And even the 4wt rod was good for the fine dry fly fishing. When I think on the 3wt. I am pretty sure that this is what I want - A fine rod for small rivers for fine dry fly fishing :)

I also checked a Sage full flex 3wt. rod, but I feel better with a mid flex rod. The full flex was to soft in my opinion.

My conclusion: I am going to buy an Orvis Helios 7´6"/3wt. midflex rod when I will be the next time in the USA. Here I will take the combo with an Orvis Mirage LA I reel in gold :fishing: