Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recommendations, thoughts on a streamer specific trout rod

Another vote for the 7wt, so long as you are on a medium to large body of water. The tip flex Helios would be ideal in my mind.

I use a Hardy Demon in 9ft 7wt and it's a cannon. Being my go-to smallie outfit, it's a defacto streamer rod. I would think that the Helios would be very similar in casting.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Depending on the size of trout you are targeting I can see where the 7 wt might be too much rod. A couple years ago I fished the Missouri river in the spring with a 7 wt z-axis (my primary streamer rod), it did ok, but the next year I took a Helios 8 wt as we were targeting some really big strong trout in some fast chutes. The year before the big boys were breaking 2x tippet and straighten size 8 hooks.
    Larry.. just curious.. if a Z-Axis #8, would have done the same job.. or is the Helios better suited for this?

I don't use streamers alot, but tryng to use them more..
    Dave

On further reflection, a 6-weight should really be able to do most streamer tossing short of really big heavy cone-heads. The Loomis rods mentioned by Moucheur are all worth looking at...NRX is a great line of rods. I went with an ECHO3 9'/#6 last year and have really enjoyed fishing it, even with dries. The new company, Clutch Fly Rods, also makes a very handsome and stout performing #6. On deep discount, the H1 #6 is a rod I preferred over the Helios 5-weight but the ECHO3 is better.

I just went through this same search over the last month and ended up with a Scott S4 9'-6" 7wt. I paired it up with a Hatch Finatic 5 plus. I couldn't be happier with this set up for throwing streamers and large flies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12