Recommendations, thoughts on a streamer specific trout rod

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I received my TU lifetime member rod/reel (Sage one+Sage reel) and am currently selling it unused. Those funds are going toward a streamer specific trout rod. I have a 7wt Helios tip flex right now.

I've been considering the H2 6wt tip flex and the St. Croix bank robber. Kelly Galloup was recently at our local fly shop and his presentation on streamers and the rod got me debating.

So if anyone can offer any insight on either of those rods or another streamer rod it will be greatly appreciated.

I will give both a test cast here shortly but it's always nice to hear from others not selling me the rod.

Thanks!
C

dean_mt

Reaction score
The streamer guys I know love the 7wt. What is it about the Helios that you think makes it not a great streamer rod?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The streamer guys I know love the 7wt. What is it about the Helios that you think makes it not a great streamer rod?
I ask the same question! I would think your 7 wt Helios would be a great streamer rod, especially for targeting large trout.

ted4887

Reaction score
Man, if a 7wt Helios isn't the ideal trout streamer rod I don't know what is!!! On the flip side, hit me up if you plan on selling it. :)

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Good questions.

First, I think (wink wink) I like buying rods and manufacture more reasons to get them.

Second, I find the 7wt tip flex just a little much for the trout. I'd like to reserve the 7wt with it's fighting butt for carp and similar sized fish. My 5wts are mid or full flex.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

What size streamers do you intend on throwing with this streamer specific rod and what size is the body of water you're fishing?
6,4,2 some with lead eyes, lead, fur etc... Would like to tie up some articulated streamers but haven't and have never fished them. Sections of the spring creeks I fish vary and the Shenandoah river is the largest I'd fish and where I'd go for bass/carp.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good questions.

First, I think (wink wink) I like buying rods and manufacture more reasons to get them.

Second, I find the 7wt tip flex just a little much for the trout. I'd like to reserve the 7wt with it's fighting butt for carp and similar sized fish. My 5wts are mid or full flex.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

6,4,2 some with lead eyes, lead, fur etc... Would like to tie up some articulated streamers but haven't and have never fished them. Sections of the spring creeks I fish vary and the Shenandoah river is the largest I'd fish and where I'd go for bass/carp.
Depending on the size of trout you are targeting I can see where the 7 wt might be too much rod. A couple years ago I fished the Missouri river in the spring with a 7 wt z-axis (my primary streamer rod), it did ok, but the next year I took a Helios 8 wt as we were targeting some really big strong trout in some fast chutes. The year before the big boys were breaking 2x tippet and straighten size 8 hooks.

smarty140

Reaction score
A friend of mine that I fish with quite a bit has a Bank Robber and seems to really like it. I've only casted it a couple times, (afraid I'd like it too much and have to get one too!) but it seems like a very good rod. We fished big Galloup-type streamers on the Wind River in Wyoming last fall and he was getting some good distance and landed some really nice fish.
ryan

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I only cast the Bank Robber, not fished it. But wow, it is one heck of a potent rod! My concern is that it might be too fast action for one who prefers moderate flexing rods. It is a LOT more rod than H1 in terms of casting big uglies. It would be near the top of my list as a streamer specialty rod.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Second, I find the 7wt tip flex just a little much for the trout.
Well, that certainly seems to suggest trying the 6 or 5 weight H2 instead for starters. And the H2 design is reportedly stronger in the butt than the original Helios, which should help its streamer performance too.

Alternatively, a Loomis 9' 6 weight (whether IMX, GLX, StreamDance or NRX) might be just the ticket. Loomis's designer Steve Rajeff is one of the pioneers of the strong butt and midsection with a sensitive tip. Or perhaps the Hardy Zenith in a 6 weight, since the 5 has gotten such good reviews.

Other stout 6 weights might include the Loomis Max GLX and Sage One, or at lower prices the TFO TiCrX, TFO Axiom, and (now-discontinued) Redington CPX, but you might find them even more brutish than your Helios 7 weight.

A closeout (if you can still find one) or gently used Sage Z-Axis or Orvis Hydros tip-flex in a 6 weight might be other options that would be easier on the wallet.

(PS: I was looking for the exact same kind of rod a year ago -- a 9x6 for streamers, wind, and big water -- and after trying Winston, Scott, Sage and TFO I liked the (original) Helios best, but that was before the H2 came out. Did not have a chance to compare the Zenith or any Loomises. I ended up buying a Hydros rather than a Helios, because they were built on the same blank as the Helios and had been recently discontinued, so they were being blown out at low prices. I might have liked a Zenith or Loomis better if I had tried one, but I liked the Hydros enough that I couldn't justify the extra cost.)

Last edited:

axle27

Reaction score
Another vote for the 7wt, so long as you are on a medium to large body of water. The tip flex Helios would be ideal in my mind.

I use a Hardy Demon in 9ft 7wt and it's a cannon. Being my go-to smallie outfit, it's a defacto streamer rod. I would think that the Helios would be very similar in casting.

dhayden

Reaction score
Depending on the size of trout you are targeting I can see where the 7 wt might be too much rod. A couple years ago I fished the Missouri river in the spring with a 7 wt z-axis (my primary streamer rod), it did ok, but the next year I took a Helios 8 wt as we were targeting some really big strong trout in some fast chutes. The year before the big boys were breaking 2x tippet and straighten size 8 hooks.
Larry.. just curious.. if a Z-Axis #8, would have done the same job.. or is the Helios better suited for this?

I don't use streamers alot, but tryng to use them more..

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
On further reflection, a 6-weight should really be able to do most streamer tossing short of really big heavy cone-heads. The Loomis rods mentioned by Moucheur are all worth looking at...NRX is a great line of rods. I went with an ECHO3 9'/#6 last year and have really enjoyed fishing it, even with dries. The new company, Clutch Fly Rods, also makes a very handsome and stout performing #6. On deep discount, the H1 #6 is a rod I preferred over the Helios 5-weight but the ECHO3 is better.

kuch

Reaction score
I just went through this same search over the last month and ended up with a Scott S4 9'-6" 7wt. I paired it up with a Hatch Finatic 5 plus. I couldn't be happier with this set up for throwing streamers and large flies.