Orvis Far and Fine 7' 9" 5wt

tippet

Reaction score
Just got what I would call a 9 out of a 10; a sweet rod. I dont have much need for a 5wt so I'm thinking about selling it. It's all original including a pristine case and sheath. Dated 1184 and I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to.

Looking for offers.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Just realize that the forum doesn't allow you to directly upload photos from your computer to a post due to virus issues. There are a couple different methods, the easiest is to upload your photo on a third party site like PhotoBucket and then link that into the post using the little yellow icon above the area you type in while making a post. The other method is to create a photo album/gallery on this site, upload your photo there and then use the little yellow icon to link into the post. Here is a more detailed description: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f.../303141-few-tips-posting-pictures-forums.html

tippet

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

tippet

Reaction score
I cant find many marks on the rod so I'd guess it might have never been used. Not bad for a rod 29 years old. As I said I only do a little local trout fishing and I already have an Orvis ZG so dont really need this rod. Not sure what a reasonable price would be. If I do sell it I'm going to upgrade my waders.........burrrr!

axle27

Reaction score
That's a good looking rod. Interesting, though. I had one that I just sold. It had a wood reel seat rather than the cork. It was a later model (1997, I think). I wonder when they made the change over. And, mine was uplocking while this one is downlocking.

I just bought a 8'9" Western series from about that era and it has the cork reel seat, also. Interesting. It's also an uplocking.

Don't mean to hijack, just observing things.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Orvis often made more than one version...cork spacer, bright down locking or wood spacer, black up locking, Presentation model. Same rod. The model and month/year are always on the butt cap.

ctyslcr

Reaction score
I have an Orvis Tight Loop, 8'3" 4 wt. It is a 1984 model and also has a cork seat. Love the rod and this one intrigues me too. I love the older rods and these are US made too.

Regards,
Peter

nickj

Reaction score
Ok, seeing as you're looking for offers... $50 and I'll pay the shipping cost as well. It IS an old rod, after all.

tippet

Reaction score
Searched eBay and saw one sold for $300. Seems pretty high but would make me happy.

ctyslcr

Reaction score
There is one on ebay now with 2 days left and at $51. I'm going to watch it.

Regards,
Peter

tippet

Reaction score
BTW thanks to all who replied and sent me messages. Going to check around a little more before I put a price on it.

Pete, sure hope that ebay rod price goes up. $50 wont buy me much of a wader.

ctyslcr

Reaction score
Tip, I'll give you $100 right now!!!LOL

By the way, for what it's worth yours has the sock, the ebay one doesn't.

Regards,
Peter

tippet

Reaction score
LOL...well if I dont get any higher offers its yours. The more I look at this rod the more I'm convinced its never been fished.

ctyslcr

Reaction score
That's how my 8'3" 5 wt Tight Loops looks. I cleaned the handle with Simple Green and it looks new. Love that rod.

Regards,
Peter