Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  121
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Orvis Far and Fine 7' 9" 5wt

My home built F&F had a nice day on the Upper Connecticut River last week, and brought in a few fish as well.

2. Likes labtrout, eastfly66, hairwing530 liked this post
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Ard,

You're spot on with your assessment of the Orvis Graphites made in the late 1970's and into the early 1980's. Absolutely phenomenal rods to fish, and a real pleasure to cast...

That same period also showcased the Orvis Rod Shop at its very best, back when the manpower existed within to do custom work and the like. Not far from where I sit rests an 8' 6-weight Orvis Graphite "Yellowstone," complete with its uplocking cork reel seat and old-style grip. Where it differs most-- besides the model name --is the fact that the Rod Shop built the rod per my specs-- i.e. it boasts two mirror-image tip sections.

So, why order two tip sections for a graphite rod? Because I'd fished with me long enough to know that accidents do happen, and I didn't want to find myself without one of my "go-to" rods. No such tip-section "accidents" ever did occur, but I'm still glad that I laid out a little extra cash for the second tip. With me, better safe than sorry...

4. Likes imxer, fly_guy12955 liked this post

Photo, that appears to be a Hardy "Prince" mounted on your F&F...a reel rarely seen nor mentioned here on our forum. An early foray into "mid-arbor" design by Hardy and with a unique check system, it never got popular on these shores...too loud!

6. Likes burk48237 liked this post

Good eye!

It's actually a 'Golden Prince' same as "The Prince" with the exception that the engraving is gold colored (...and it is loud, uniquely so in that way I think)

I actually have come to enjoy the sound when stripping line. THe other guys around me have more modern reels that are way to quiet!

You guys are making me miss my Orvis "trout" 8' 6wt made 0582. It sported the finest tapered "superfine" style grip. Like a 4 wt rod with the guts to throw a 6wt line 80' with a sz 4 lead eyed clouser minnow. I had caught stripers up to 8# on that rod in addition to countless trout, bass, catfish, drum, crappie, bream, you name it in fresh water. I have another 1984 model put back for my son, and a Far-N-Fine for my daughter (1986). each with the month corresponding to their respective birth months. Bought out of a lot from a single seller who found them together in a cottage property his family had purchased...what are the chances of that? the pair with 0184 (my son) and 1186 (my daughter)...just had to buy them being a fan of early Orvis, pre-'superfine' graphite rods.

BTW, the F-n-F is the same taper as the Trout with 3" cut off the butt. The blanks mic out the same. Some might argue this but I read the same mandrels were used.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_r View Post
    BTW, the F-n-F is the same taper as the Trout with 3" cut off the butt. The blanks mic out the same. Some might argue this but I read the same mandrels were used.
    I always wondered why the 2 sections were different lengths? Was it intentional, or did it just work out that way for other reasons?

As an aside, it's fun for me personally to read about these rods here. I bought mine as a blank in 1979 (took me 20 years to get it all together, but that's another story). I bought it because I fell in love with the look of the completed rod on the rack, just couldn't afford it at the time.

I must have made 20 trips back and forth to the store taking measurements of the rod and even with that I still think I got the grip wrong on mine...a little too short, but I've come to the point now where a longer grip just doesn't feel right in-hand.

I don't think I could have imagined standing in that store in Boston way back then that I'd be talking about this rod 30+ years later (or that anyone else would even know what it was).

"I don't think I could have imagined standing in that store in Boston way back then that I'd be talking about this rod 30+ years later (or that anyone else would even know what it was)".

Surprises me too. As I wrote in an adjacent thread here, I fished those early Orvis rods back then and still have them but current rods are SO MUCH SUPERIOR, lighter, stronger, more sensitive, powerful, sophisticated...I can't imagine, other than in a bout of sentimentality (in a low performance required environment) subjecting myself to fishing these early Orvis, Winston, etc. simplistic rods! OK, once a year I go to a street fair dedicated to old Austin Healys, MGs and Triumphs, et al, and I do feel good about the guys that have dedicated themselves to preserving and restoring these storied sports cars of yesteryear. They bring back wonderful youthful memories as Far&Fine does about a particularly large rainbow on the Esopus when the rod was brand new. Water into the Ashokan...now I'll fish clearer water on the other side of the hills with far more articulate presentations with the now current offerings from Sage, Loomis, Scott...or even Orvis it they'll refine H2 a little bit more.

Interesting point Sweetandsalt...I don't really have an opinion to agree or disagree in the how's and why's that these rods might really compare with other newer rods.

Maybe nostalgia does play a big part in a lot of these older things being so well regarded. I play a little guitar and frequent a guitar forum. I have a few older guitars and a few 'modern' ones. Despite the general consensus on the forums that the older guitars have a magical tone that can't be replicated with modern materials, I sound pretty much the same regardless what I play. Similarly I suppose with fly rods...I suspect that I'd cast and catch as many (or few, depending) fish with either my old F&F as I might with the latest materials or designs.

I think at the end of the day, 'Superior' is a bit of a moving target and might make interesting conversation but that the term depends on so many variables as to make the word almost meaningless (for me at least).

Generations of guys stood in or at the water with what amounts to a stick compared with modern fishing equipment, having (I would guess), as much fun trying to dangle a fly in front of a fish as most guys do today with more 'sophisticated' equipment.

Blog Entries

I simply can't resist;

Thirty five years of service and I am convinced it is the best rod I've ever cast. I will have a hard time catching more fish or making more casts with my army of rods over the rest of my life as I have done with that rod. For me it's not nostalgia, it's a simple matter of performance. The Far & Fine has provided me with a well rounded fishing tool that can do many different things and do them well

I have worn the cork down in diameter over time to where it really is a superfine grip. I don't use it as often because of the places I fish here but when I go up a medium size creek and take it I feel like I'm 25 years old again. With that said I guess there is a wee bit of nostalgia involved huh

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Gentlemen, I did not intend to imply I catch MORE fish with a contemporary rod that possess magical techno fish capturing traits absent in Far&Fine ...I catch fewer fish now than back then...but this is a separate issue. I had enormous fun fishing with my original Sewell Dunton HDH and Medalist 1492 and still do sporting Sage ONE and FWX. But I also no longer swing lovely wet flies like Ard's little beauty with Jungle Cock eyes. Using floating flies only and employing very high line speed, super tight loop presentation techniques, rods like old Far&Fine that flex richly and recover in their own good time dwell sweetly in the past for me personally while I ply the few rivers I fish with modern, low mass, steeply tapered, quick recovering rods which emphasize communication with the line over a sense of the mass of the rod loading.

I have always said about fly rods that a rod that was great in its day remains great in the same way now, assuming it is used in the same way. Newer materials and designs afford performance opportunities on technical water like the Henry's Fork or tropical bonefish flats that are genuinely advantageous. Which is not to say I had less fun back then nor that I could not fish these environments successfully with 1980 vintage tackle today...I would insist on new modern fly lines though.

14. Likes photoguy liked this post
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast