Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  121
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Orvis Far and Fine 7' 9" 5wt

Default Re: Orvis Far and Fine 7' 9" 5wt

"I would insist on new modern fly lines though."

I wholeheartedly can agree with this. When I first got back into flyfishing, I pulled out my rod and old Pfluger Medalist that was lined with a 6 WT sinking Cortland line that I had first put on the reel in the late 60's. THe line and reel sat in many closets over the years and I'm not positive that it ever got wet or even unrolled from the reel. Well, out into the front yard I went to practice a cast and this line moved through the rod like a lead pipe eventually dropping on the ground pretty much where I stood. A few more attempts at casting it and off to the fly store I went to buy a new line. All was good from that point on.

Would you happen to know if the "Far and Fine" series was made in a 9' in #5 & 6 wt. ? The blank is grayish ? would that be correct ?

I may have found something ................

I don't trust my eyes when it comes to color on the LCD..

^ I don't personally know what other lengths the F&F came in and, not sure if this is helpful, but the originals are very close in color to the current Superfine Touch rods. One major difference between old and the new Superfines is that the old rods had wider spirals to the graphite wrap than the new rods do.

4. Likes eastfly66, hairwing530 liked this post

Far&Fine was a specific model, a 7'9"/#5, 2 un-equal length piece rod introduced (if I recall accurately) in 1975 in the first generation of Orvis graphite rods. Others in that group included popular 8'/#6 Trout and 8'3"/#7 All Rounder. 9' foot graphite rods, ubiquitous now, were still a couple years away. Fenwick in 1974 and Orvis a year later had experience fabricating glass rods so rolled their own carbon fiber rods similarly to what they had previously done in glass. Orvis along with Philipson had already used uni-directional, 3M developed, E or S glass in Golden Eagle rods so was well positioned to translate into graphite flags. Most other early graphite rods like the Scotts and Winstons currently being discussed in other threads here relied on outside suppliers to roll blanks to their specifications. For the same reasons, Orvis and Scott chose not to sand the under tape resin ridges off their blanks, fear of cutting into surface fibers weakening the blank. Orvis employed a glued on female ferrule, Scott and Winston, internal spigot ferules...Scott's were hollow and internally tapered as a continuation of their glass-derived, "Pow-R-Ply" development and Fenwick had already developed their tip-over-butt "Ferulite". When Don Green of Fenwick fame later formed a company which became known as Sage, he continued to sand and paint his blanks brown, just like Fenwick's and further refine the tip-over butt, now dominant, ferrule. Orvis and Scott stuck with the un-sanded blank through a few generations of rods including Orvis's 1980's Western Series, which included a number of 9' rods in the same natural graphite color, while Winston established its now famous rich green with high quality finish and custom grade reel seats. Sage kept on painting their blanks too and Green established what also remains a Sage trait today of building no rod without "Reserve Power", starting with RP(L). Orvis's Superfines of today may owe taper design lineage to Far&Fine and other early Orvis full flexing models but the superfine name stems from a style of cork grip introduced back then that tapers to the blank and is highlighted by the butt thread wrap continuing up onto the cork. Like current Scott G2 and Winston WT rods the Orvis ones have benefited from numerous material and fabrication technique upgrades that are invisible within the blank while continuing to satisfy demand for rods that influenced many of us in that bygone era.

There were many other rod builder/designers during this time period very notably Gary Loomis rods built by him but notably designed by Steve Rajeff starting at least with IMX but I am limiting my remarks to the makers currently under discussion from the dawn of the graphite era. Do not take my comments above as "FACT" as I am writing from memory and have not fact-checked dates, sizes, etc.

Picked up this today. Lawn cast it and nearly wet myself with joy. Can't wait for dry flies to start.
    Put my mid arbor access III Reel on it.

coachbarak Guest

I wish Orvis would make rods like "The Flea", "The Trout Bum" and "The Far and Fine" again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes s fontinalis, rockthief, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by coachbarak View Post
    I wish Orvis would make rods like "The Flea", "The Trout Bum" and "The Far and Fine" again

Would have to be with the old technology though... Not the same rod(s) otherwise

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    coachbarak Guest

That would be fine w me. I had the Trout Bum but tax time came first year I was married and it became a casualty

Blog Entries

Go to the top of the Fly Rods sub forum here and look at the sticky 'Tips For Buying Used Rods' and then shop eBay for a 1977 - 1980 in mint condition. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of 350.00 and get one.

I fully realize how many new rods there are, I'm only one voice but I have literally dedicated my life to fly fishing and without hesitation will say that the first generation Far & Fine is the best all round fly rod I have ever cast.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

13. Likes N/A, hairwing530, k_e_v liked this post

I believe for sure that there are F&F's in closets and attics not having been fished for years. Old ones in good condition should come up for sale regularly, many were built. I have not and am curios to know if anyone has compared their early generation Orvis to a new "Superfine Carbon"? For guys like Ard or I who bought Far&Fines at full retail (about $125 approx.) 35 years ago, it is one thing but for a young angler today fascinated by those earlier taper designs, I wonder if decades of tweaking and modern fabrication have not improved upon our originals.

On the same theory, and to be discussed separately, I took occasion over this past weekend to compare one of my original, circa 1979 Hardy-built, engraved and "T" pillared CFO III's (might be the one I got with the F&F!) with a now discontinued, few year old, Chinese-made CFO III Disc.

15. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast