Define a "Technical Rod"

cletus

Reaction score
I have been fly-fishing for a number of years now and am still confused by the term "technical rod." Does is describe a dry-fly rod with a stiffer butt and softer tip? Does it have limitations in other applications? I have frequently seen the term used when someone asks about an all-around rod and responses are that the rod in question is more of a technical rod vs an all-around rod.

Thanks in advance for any insights

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I might see it more as a marketing term. Sage has used it with two series, TCR and TCX. They are very fast rods (rather stiff rods with soft tips) and popular with tournament casters.

The rod can throw any line and fly combination, but everyone will have their preferences. I prefer to use one as a streamer rod because it can handle huge payloads.

Dennis

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
To me,,,it means when you cast a 'bug' onto a leaf at 30ft,,and gently slide it off,,,and make it look exactly like drama unfolding on the stream....

Or have a dry come down so soft, it appears to have 'some' will left to still try and remain airborne.

I know the game varies with the fisher'person. To the next guy it maybe be hitting a feeding seam on a river at 75 ft with a streamer.

It MAY mean material development for a specific blank. I just know what it means to me.

Probably though,,,It's marketing.

We used to call it skill.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Any rod that does not perform well should be considered a technical rod, incapable of performing well for anyone but the most anal of all fly fisherman whom consider its mastery an acknowledgement of a higher learning.

Dave

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I might see it more as a marketing term.
Absolutely.

All rods have a grain window. In a single hand rod, that window is large and forgiving. In fact when it comes to single hand rods, most of this stuff is way overthought by the consumer, and a lot of it has been as the result of marketing. Some of this marketing I believe, is driving rods in a less than helpful way.

If we were not convinced we needed more and better rods in a rapidly evolving cycle, they would sell much less than they do. Look at the One. There were posts on here counting down till it came out that reminded me of Cartman and the Nintendo Wii. :D (Need to be a fan of South Park to get that one) There was a ton of hype and I am sure the sales were pretty hot and fast for a while. Now if you look around you can pick one up on ebay or elsewhere for half the cost, most saying like new or barely used. Even shops are trying to dump them. When the hype no longer works, they will discontinue it and come out with The Two, or some other marketing driven thing.

trout champ

Reaction score
When I think technical I'm thinking dry fly fishing on water that is smooth as glass for big fish eating small flies.
I'm thinking a big brown under an undercut bank that will spook if he even thinks you are dreaming about him sipping on mayflies.
Long, light leaders with flies thrown 60 feet that land on the water with no ripple. And then BAM!!!! FISH ON!!!
A rod that flex's so much the tip can touch the butt to protect that 6x tippet your fishing.

Randy

cletus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think what's clear is that "technical" has a number of definitions and may be irrelevant in accurately describing a rod.

The next time someone describes a rod that way, I'll ask him just what exactly that means to him (ie fast, slow, tippy, etc). Thanks again

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I employ this term, technical presentation, regularly to refer to the type of fishing described by Trout Champ. Floating imitations presented to well educated, larger trout feeding in the clear, smooth surfaced but complex currents of big spring creeks or tail waters with similar habitat. We used to use this term frequently on the Henry's Fork and, more often today, on the Upper Delaware and Missouri. My understanding and use of this term refers to the prerequisite of manipulating a fly and its attached leader/tippet in mid air and again, upon the water to present the fly with no drag and no tippet below it, so the trout sees the fly first as if unattached, with maximum precision in complex, difficult feeding lies. To accomplish this an array of techniques may be utilized by the angler in response to the unique circumstance presented by the individual fish. Droplets of water can be sprayed off your line and leader during false casting so often it is ill advised to lengthen line in air towards a rising fish, cast parallel but away from your Henry's Fork bank feeder. There are often submerged chunks of basalt creasing the currents and weed beds too twist the flow of water unpredictably so straight line presentations will quickly set up drag. Putting a reach in you cast by generating a high line speed, tight loop and reaching the rod tip aside while feeding slack from your line hand into the reach, puts the line down with an up steam "L" shape. While executing the reach you can also shape some "S" curves into the line and leader by controlled oscillations in the rod tip during delivery while the line is still airealized. This combination allows the fly to have current cushioning patterns of controlled line upon the water as it is floating toward the fish poking its snout out from beneath an elodea mat lodged tight to a bank protrusion. A funnel of current feeds flies to this dominant fish's lie and by controlling the attitude of your fly by having it downstream and across from your casting position, you can align it with the current funnel and strive for good timing. I prefer to ere on the outside of the fish to get a feeling for what the currents will do as my fly approaches so I can modify my casting position, fly placement...usually a few feet above the fish, or the shapes of in air and on water mends required.

A never ending evolution of learned and developed skills can be added to this repertoire to enhance your "technical" capabilities and they are not all about rod/line/leader design and casting. I recall a morning on the Nature Conservancy water on Silver Creek, one of the most technically demanding pieces of public water I have ever fished. PMD's were emerging and there were some small spinners mixed in too. A straight section of dense overhanging grass bank gave way to a recess, a small cove indenting some four feet, forming a back eddy. There was a good pod of fish slurping along the the backward current but right below the point where the bank gave way was a particularly interesting trout feeding. The stream is deep between where I could wade and where this fish feed so I had to get well upstream and, with a reach and mend, alight my fly along the grass of the straight piece of bank to allow the swirl of current to float it into the beginning of the recess. Because of the position I could wade to it was a moderately long cast of about 45 to 55 feet and then a drift of about 6 feet was required. I changed my position a few times as well as the configuration of my presentation and, after a while, I was getting my fly to this fish pretty well. But it was a bright, hot Idaho morning and the Sun was getting higher and the hatch was declining. The fewer the number of insects on the water, the more intermittent the fish's rise activity became and then there was the not entirely natural artificial fly with he reflective string attached to it. Clearly the more I persisted in casting, the more likely I was going to put this fish down. I wanted to hook it badly...so I stopped fishing, carefully backed out and went on my way. But I triangulated my wading position relative to the trouts lie and bank side focal points carefully. That evening I returned, entered the stream well above this fish so I could observe its activity and, as the sky colored and the spinners fell, I approached my pre-determined casting position. In the gloaming light my casting and tippet were less evident and I knew just how to get a complex dead drift and...she ate on the 2nd or 3rd presentation. A thick slab of a female rainbow, she ultimately came to net in time for my partner to come downstream and meet me. She was a clean, unmarked 23" specimen and an image of me with the sunset behind releasing this great trout is hidden somewhere amongst thousand of 35mm slides in a cabinet here in my office.

That, my forum friends, is technical technique and tactics.

Last edited:

Jackster

Reaction score
I employ this term, technical presentation... .
as do we all in varying forms and usually not so eloqently. ;)

That, my forum friends, is technical technique and tactics.
I'm not so sure that answer defined a technical rod. ;)
On your subject though, I find myself when not on Henrys Fork or a tailwater or a nice, slick clear section of the Ausable or Manistee creating technical presentations to the harder fish in lieu of the easy pickin's. Quite gratifying that.

As to what defines a technical rod; it's a rod that took some deep thought, practical history and design engineering to make it something that both comes alive in your hands yet becomes an extension of your brain and arm. Any rod that is part of a seamless connection between sight and fly placement is a technical rod. A rod that is able to do that is a huge part of being able to do what s&s described above and a huge part in the enjoyment one gets by having technical rods (though that term is rather cold and lifeless in my eyes)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Now that I have defined the way I define technical presentation, I see the emphasis on the type of rod used in such situations in this thread. Tippet protection is important just in case you actually hook one of these challenging fish; I use 6' of Orvis tapered braided leader carefully matched and spliced to the tip of my extended head, long rear taper fly line. After building down with a few sections of nylon (never fluorocarbon for this application) I terminate with a minimum of 5' of appropriate to fly size diameter tippet (5 or 6X most often). Plenty of shock absorption built in here but one must be cognizant and attuned to the recovery rate of your rod's tip to bring the hook home and respond the the leaps, surges, head shakes and great runs of your quarry. A rod that generates very high line speed and is prone to form extremely smooth and tight loops offers enormous advantages in keeping the line in the air to perform the selection of line manipulations prior to laying the fly and, subsequently, the leader and line upon the water. I want the sharpest pencil in my box to draw these curves and wiggles as precisely as I can. Any superfluous oscillation in the rod's tip is a precision thief. The deeper the rod flexes during casting into its mid section, the slower the tip recovers during this important procedure. Light weight, crisp, communicativly responsive, ample lower taper reserve power and a rapidly recovering tip with the minimum of oscillation and the maximum of true tracking are fundamental characteristics of a technical presentation specialty rod. Guides that are not too small which can inhibit slack line feeding, line weight ratings that offer enough mass to facilitate the elaborate aerial and on water mending (#'s 4 and 5, sometimes 6-weight, never slender, ultra-light weight lines) and enough length to optimize taper transitions and fight gravity, 8 1/2' - 9', are additional advantageous traits.

Plenty of "general purpose" 5-weights are good technical presentation rods; original and HLS Streamdance GLX from G.Loomis, Sage's popular XP and terrific Z-Axis and justifiably award winning, Hardy Zenith come immediately to mind. In my current quiver, G.Loomis NRX 9'/#4 and the remarkable Sage ONE 9'/#5 are standout technical fly rods with the ONE being one of the finest special purpose dry fly presentation rods ever. Keep in mind though that these rods and style of dry fly fishing are specialized to a minority of rivers at particular times of the season and are not tailored to or scalable to most freestone rivers and smaller creeks where different, more conventional tactics, techniques and sweeter, less demanding tackle may be more appropriate.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

An additional thought: Any tackle embraced by a skilled and experienced angler can perform an elaborate presentation because, he, the fly fisher, is capable of it. And too, even when one expects to toss elk hair caddis to rainbows busting in a nice run, a big old brown might be discovered hidden in a slick, bank side, micro-habitat that demands all the technical talent one has accrued.

Happy Dawn of a new Fishing Season, Everybody!