The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Fly Rods (
-   -   Define a "Technical Rod" (

cletus 03-30-2013 10:21 AM

Define a "Technical Rod"
I have been fly-fishing for a number of years now and am still confused by the term "technical rod." Does is describe a dry-fly rod with a stiffer butt and softer tip? Does it have limitations in other applications? I have frequently seen the term used when someone asks about an all-around rod and responses are that the rod in question is more of a technical rod vs an all-around rod.

Thanks in advance for any insights

MoscaPescador 03-30-2013 10:35 AM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
I might see it more as a marketing term. Sage has used it with two series, TCR and TCX. They are very fast rods (rather stiff rods with soft tips) and popular with tournament casters.

The rod can throw any line and fly combination, but everyone will have their preferences. I prefer to use one as a streamer rod because it can handle huge payloads.


fly_guy12955 03-30-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
To me,,,it means when you cast a 'bug' onto a leaf at 30ft,,and gently slide it off,,,and make it look exactly like drama unfolding on the stream....

Or have a dry come down so soft, it appears to have 'some' will left to still try and remain airborne.

I know the game varies with the fisher'person. To the next guy it maybe be hitting a feeding seam on a river at 75 ft with a streamer.

It MAY mean material development for a specific blank. I just know what it means to me.

Probably though,,,It's marketing.

We used to call it skill.

Ard 03-30-2013 01:15 PM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 542178)
I might see it more as a marketing term.


Fortunately I read the replies of others before I type a redundant post.


theboz 03-30-2013 01:53 PM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
Ask Bobby Knight he wrote the book on technicals and he fly fishes as well!

littledavid123 03-30-2013 02:27 PM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
Any rod that does not perform well should be considered a technical rod, incapable of performing well for anyone but the most anal of all fly fisherman whom consider its mastery an acknowledgement of a higher learning.


fly_guy12955 03-30-2013 09:55 PM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
Dave, I believe you have reached Enlightenment. May all us mortals stand there someday ! LOL

williamhj 03-30-2013 10:00 PM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
Did you see the term used somewhere in particular or just generally?

Guest1 03-31-2013 12:31 AM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 542178)
I might see it more as a marketing term.


All rods have a grain window. In a single hand rod, that window is large and forgiving. In fact when it comes to single hand rods, most of this stuff is way overthought by the consumer, and a lot of it has been as the result of marketing. Some of this marketing I believe, is driving rods in a less than helpful way.

If we were not convinced we needed more and better rods in a rapidly evolving cycle, they would sell much less than they do. Look at the One. There were posts on here counting down till it came out that reminded me of Cartman and the Nintendo Wii. :D (Need to be a fan of South Park to get that one) There was a ton of hype and I am sure the sales were pretty hot and fast for a while. Now if you look around you can pick one up on ebay or elsewhere for half the cost, most saying like new or barely used. Even shops are trying to dump them. When the hype no longer works, they will discontinue it and come out with The Two, or some other marketing driven thing.

trout champ 03-31-2013 02:35 AM

Re: Define a "Technical Rod"
When I think technical I'm thinking dry fly fishing on water that is smooth as glass for big fish eating small flies.
I'm thinking a big brown under an undercut bank that will spook if he even thinks you are dreaming about him sipping on mayflies.
Long, light leaders with flies thrown 60 feet that land on the water with no ripple. And then BAM!!!! FISH ON!!!
A rod that flex's so much the tip can touch the butt to protect that 6x tippet your fishing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.40 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2005-2017 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.