Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

I haven't been fly fishing for 40 years. Just a novice trying to learn, and I have had the same question about the differences in a $700.00 rod vs a $150.00 dollar rod. As a spin fisherman, I used higher end rods for the sensitivity, and light weight which matched my style of finesse fishing. The rod helped me catch more fish.

If you can afford it, so be it. A Porsche gets you quality leather, a powerful engine, superb handling, high tech mechanics, and hot women too. A Yugo, well? Tangible upgrades for the money. Yeah, both will get you from point A to B, but you can see, and feel what your paying for when you buy the Porsche. Maybe I am too new to the sport to tell the difference, but cosmetics, and better hardware doesn't equate to 3 to 4 times the price.

If a $700.00 rod is just for those with a passion for the sport, who have disposable money, okay. I pay more for some things the next guy may think is nuts, but I can always justify it in my mind with real (or perceived) benefits. I'm was hoping to find the benefits in this thread in case I need to do some "justifying" down the road.

2. Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

'Worth it' has to be personal. Some people who can afford BMW's and Porches drive Fords, Hondas, or Subarus because it is what they want.

Asking the difference between a $200 or $300 rod and a $700 might be interested. Just name? Technology? Hardware? I don't know if I could tell the difference.

3. Likes oarfish liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalxs View Post
    I haven't been fly fishing for 40 years. Just a novice trying to learn, and I have had the same question about the differences in a $700.00 rod vs a $150.00 dollar rod. As a spin fisherman, I used higher end rods for the sensitivity, and light weight which matched my style of finesse fishing. The rod helped me catch more fish.

If you can afford it, so be it. A Porsche gets you quality leather, a powerful engine, superb handling, high tech mechanics, and hot women too. A Yugo, well? Tangible upgrades for the money. Yeah, both will get you from point A to B, but you can see, and feel what your paying for when you buy the Porsche. Maybe I am too new to the sport to tell the difference, but cosmetics, and better hardware doesn't equate to 3 to 4 times the price.

If a $700.00 rod is just for those with a passion for the sport, who have disposable money, okay. I pay more for some things the next guy may think is nuts, but I can always justify it in my mind with real (or perceived) benefits. I'm was hoping to find the benefits in this thread in case I need to do some "justifying" down the road.

Welcome to the forum.

Rip, that sure is a beautiful home. There's a lot to be said for homes of that age and the wonderful history that comes with them.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by digitalxs View Post
    You only need to justify it to yourself, if you happy with it, it's justified, the money doesn’t matter.

Rick

Does the $150.00 rod cast as well as the $700.00 rod when your positioned comfortably on a small red sectional sofa though?

7. Likes caseywise, Ard, oarfish liked this post
    Blog Entries

lol john!!

ARFE

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Some $700 rods are worth it and some are not. There can be no simple yes or no on this one.

I'll have more than $700 in my new Thomas and Thomas 2 hander. It's going to be worth way more. Even in just what it means to me. Being able to hit Canada....Priceless.
    Last edited by Guest1; 04-02-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a whole dang word! (more)

10. Likes FrankB2 liked this post
  11. Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Being able to hit Canada....
    Does it hit back?

12. Likes FrankB2 liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Not yet, but you have to watch those hosers carefully.

14. Likes jimmorgan liked this post

If I take the house, does Renee Zellweger come with it too ?

IF SO,, Rip, run down and take the for sale sign off and burn it,,tell Renee I'll call in the morning about moving logistics,,etc,,

I'll pay you well for your troubles.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Rip,,,forget it pard.

I forgot I was married there for a minute.

Tell Renee I said hello though.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast