Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, don't laugh,,,

Default OK, don't laugh,,,

Today ,,,I received my 32 dollar glass Eagle Claw,,I had ordered,,if for not other reason than nostalgia. A yellow Eagle Claw was the first thing I ever bought with my own money I earned working. I guess I was about 12,,and had helped put up hay. Got a few dollars and wanted a fly rod.

It's rated for a 5/6 line,,and I put a reel with 5wt WF on it and yard cast some this evening. The rod is not that bad,,pretty decent,,I'd rate it myself as about a mid'flex.

Even thought it's not hi tech glass,,and it's a cheap rod,,,it's still not ugly either. The cork is very decent,,the rod is straight. I'm a weird creature anyways, I can see myself fishing with this a good bit,,to prove to me again and again,,that it's ME that catches fish,,, more-so than the equipment. But, I do love equipment,,,go figure !

In any event, it's been a blast playing with the mighty 32 dollar Eagle Claw this evening !

Michael
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Default Re: OK, don't laugh,,,

Nice... someone just commented on my Lamson Radius/ Fenwick F7705 outfit as being "highbrow/lowbrow" -

3. Likes threespinedstickleback liked this post
    Blog Entries

I don't think there'll be much laughter, lots of people fish the little Eagle Claw glass rods. It seems that we have a bit of a complex about the price of rods equating into their usefulness.

The rod with these 2 fish (and it caught at least 100) is a 48 dollar Quarrow 9' seven weight.

The smaller fish is a 14.25 pound Silver Salmon, when I walked back to my camp carrying them I met 2 other fishermen, no one looked at my rod.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

The smaller fish is a 14.25 pound Silver Salmon, when I walked back to my camp carrying them I met 2 other fishermen, no one looked at my rod.

Ard

Ard
    Nice when the smaller fish is over 14lbs! Gives me an idea for a contest to see who can catch a fish where the number of lbs is closest to the number of dollars spent on the rod. No gift rods allowed.
    - William

6. Likes fly_guy12955, Rip Tide liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

This should be easier for me to do. I have giant fish here so, Tougher to do if you fish trout.

Yeah my best bet would be to find a yard sale rod and go for bass, but I think you won.
    - William

Blog Entries

Why should we laugh...?You like the rod...so have fun with itLike Ard I'm also a Quarrow fan,mine was far more expensive than his,$50

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

"Glass is Class."

I've lost count, or stopped counting may be a better way of putting same, on the number of 2handers I've got. That said, what gets put on the Jeeps rod rack first?

A 11' 6/7 glass 'switch rod.' This is the 'One' that folks ask 'Can I cast that,' and I have to ask them to hand it back. (Yesterday as an example.) Rod's lined with a Steve Godshall custom cut Scandi head and just the lightest of touches put out out to 70 - 80 feet. Larger/heavier flies a bit more 'umph' into the cast.

Pure magic to have that rod in your hands.
    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

11. Likes threespinedstickleback liked this post
    okuma Guest

Ard is right. Very few times has anyone asked to see my rod/reel. If it's a 50 dollar rod and works well for you, then it's priceless. I personally don't buy high end stuff coz that's how I am. My switch is an 11 foot 5/6 Wild River(107.00) and the reel is an Okuma Integrity A (45 bucks). Works well for me. I'm satisfied. That's what counts.

13. Likes Guest1, thorsten, fredaevans liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by okuma View Post
    I'm satisfied. That's what counts.
    Something unfortunately missed by to many people.

15. Likes thorsten, fredaevans liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast