Is 2wt too light for bream and small bass?

nick k

Reaction score
I was planning on buying a cheaper 2wt and saving the rest of the money for another big purchase I'm looking to make. Recently, I've been thinking about swapping that and just getting a very nice 2wt. Was looking at the Orvis Superfine Touch. The problem is, when I used the live chat feature to ask a few questions about it, the Orvis guy said that the 2wt would be much too light for panfish and the occasional bass. How do you guys feel about this? Is this just a case of the superfine being lighter than most UL's, or would a 2wt not be able to efficiently cast panfish flies or fight panfish/small bass?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
It's more an issue of what you're throwing than what you're catching. I don't think a 2 wt line has enough heft to be able to hurl air-resistant poppers or weighted streamers. For little size 12-14 poppers I would say a 4 weight is as light as you should go and a 5 or 6 is better. For bigger size 4-8 deer hair bugs I like a line between 6 and 8.

kuch

Reaction score
It's more an issue of what you're throwing than what you're catching. I don't think a 2 wt line has enough heft to be able to hurl air-resistant poppers or weighted streamers. For little size 12-14 poppers I would say a 4 weight is as light as you should go and a 5 or 6 is better. For bigger size 4-8 deer hair bugs I like a line between 6 and 8.
Exactly, it is not the fish that will determine the rod/ line size, it will be the size flies you are trying to throw. This is true for anything you are fishing for. I also agree on the 4-6 wt range for panfish/ bass/

nick k

Reaction score
I currently have a 6wt I use primarily for bass and, while bream are not unenjoyable on it, it is certainly too much rod for them. I'm not looking to cast huge flies for the bream, and wont be directly targeting bass with a light rod.

kuch

Reaction score
I currently have a 6wt I use primarily for bass and, while bream are not unenjoyable on it, it is certainly too much rod for them. I'm not looking to cast huge flies for the bream, and wont be directly targeting bass with a light rod.
Based on that, I would recommend a 4wt. You could possibly push a 3wt if it's a strong enough rod.

dean_mt

Reaction score
As mentioned, it's about the size of the fly.

I have a 2wt and it is really fun to fish dries up to size #12 or single, small nymphs without an indicator. All the fun of a rod that size would be taken away if I were trying to cast anything larger.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
On the hottest days of the summer I like to go stand in the local river to cool off. And since there might be people looking, I bring my 3wt :rolleyes:
I know that the only fish dumb enough to be out on a day like that are juvenile smallmouth of about 8". If there was any chance of bigger fish, I'd bring a bigger rod.
:secret:
Besides, the little rod is a good size for that sort of fishing as catching 60-70 of the little rascals on a bigger rod tends to put a hurt on your shoulder

mikel

Reaction score
Buy yourself a featherlite 4/5 wt in 6'6" for 25 bucks and think about what else you want later

nick k

Reaction score
Don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a $25 fly rod. I don't want to sound snobby, just seems like a waste of $25 as it would just have to be replaced later.

Same reason I would never order a $3 steak. I'm sure theirs a reason why it's only $3, and you're just gonna end up ordering something else once you taste it.

mikel

Reaction score
I was planning on buying a cheaper 2wt and saving the rest of the money for another big purchase I'm looking to make.
Don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a $25 fly rod. I don't want to sound snobby, just seems like a waste of $25 as it would just have to be replaced later.
I guess I don't interpret between the lines very well.

I fish an Orvis Superfine 2 wt (6'6") with a little Marryat CMR on it. Fishing the featherlite 4/5 in the same length is pretty surprising. You could be surprised too...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
:secret:
I've got two of the Feather Lights. One of which I've had since 1963.
I don't see myself replacing them soon.
Of course I might change my mind some day. I've only had that one 50 years

highjumper

Reaction score
I use a medium action 6.5' 3wt for a lot of trout fishing and think it is a blast! I say go for it. It makes a mediocre fish seem like a trophy.

nick k

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a superfine touch right now. I'm a sucker for aesthetics and the SFT is just sexy.