good deal $15 bucks? maybe

smallieman

Reaction score
So I am new to the site. I am not new to fiberglass fly rods. I am a long time fly guy and i live in NWI/CHI area. So i was with my wife and we went to a flea market. I came across this guy packing up and asked him how much for these rods. He wanted $30 bucks but I got him down to $15. I can not find anything about this rod other then this page http://www.fishingtalks.com/st.-croix-double-power-model-820-6-ft.-356989.html

But I looks like the same rod but not in that good condition. Can anyone shed some info on this rod???

I am planning on using this brown for the fish no one thinks is in NWI feeder creeks native browns

Then i have this rod also picked up. This rod looks like it wood? it has a rough texture feel with it.

any info would be helpfull.

also got this reel in the same deal with rods for $15

flytie09

Reaction score
Looks like something from grampas garage. Do they smell like moth balls too? Ha ha. Love the nostalgic stuff!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Looks like the reel is a Medalist or a rebranded Medalist.

Sorry. Don't know anything about the rod.

Just respool the reel with backing and line, add a leader, tie on a fly, and go fish the snot out of the rig.

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis

pszy22

Reaction score
In looking at pictures, the white rod looks to be a spinning rod by the looks of the handle configuration and guides being used and length. I can't tell for sure, but the same may be true for the brown rod.

That's not to say they weren't worth the $15 you spent on them to yourself or someone else.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Both of those rods are spinning rods with little to no value. The white one is a St Croix.
The reel is a re-branded Olympic 440.
With a little work it could be a nice reel and might be worth as much as $40-$50

Reactions: Ard

Jackster

Reaction score
I posted this before but do so again thinking the might be the environment the white rod was built in...

shimloom

Reaction score
The rod with the brown rough finish "might" be a Trueline. There is another blank of a older rod co. that look like that put can't remember the name at present.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The rod with the brown rough finish "might" be a Trueline. There is another blank of a older rod co. that look like that put can't remember the name at present.
Most all of the early hollow glass rods were made from that same coarse tobacco brown fiberglass. Many were painted over but are still that same brown underneath.
That white St Croix is probably solid glass

charged

Reaction score
Both of those rods are spinning rods with little to no value. The white one is a St Croix.
The reel is a re-branded Olympic 440.
With a little work it could be a nice reel and might be worth as much as $40-$50
Don't mean to be a downer, I'd expect the reel to go for at least 1/2 that price. I do however find the reels drag design very interesting, It looks like it pulls to increase drag on the plate, rather than push like a medalist.

Interesting adaptation, that I bet is equally as effective. If the reel/rod combos were in my possession, I'd definatley take them out for a spin, but don't think think there is anything of huge value.

Its not a bad purchase, as you will for sure make money by selling the items individually.

If sold individually on e-bay, I'd expect to gain 10-25$ per item.

caseywise

Reaction score
Looks like the reel is a Medalist or a rebranded Medalist.

Sorry. Don't know anything about the rod.

Just respool the reel with backing and line, add a leader, tie on a fly, and go fish the snot out of the rig.

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis
great advice from dennis:D
plus fishing old tackle is just plain fun!!:cool::cool:

casey

silver creek

Reaction score
Most all of the early hollow glass rods were made from that same coarse tobacco brown fiberglass. Many were painted over but are still that same brown underneath.
That white St Croix is probably solid glass
You are right about that St. Croix.

I toured the St Croix plant with the owner. At the time they still made solid fiberglass rods for many other companies. Lots of them were the kiddie rods matched with a Zebco spin cast reel.

The rod blanks were solid white fiberglass dowels that were put into a grinding machine that ground the taper to the tubular glass dowels, Then they were polished and the handle and guides put on.

The dowels went in one end and a tapered fiberglass blank came out of the other end of the tapering machine. I assumed it could be set to put any taper on any length of rod.