Gotta love an Orvis Superfine

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sqFxYOMen8]Tom Finkbiner of Slate Run Tackle talks about Dave Wonderlich's Superfine fly rod and Hydros reel. - YouTube[/ame]

green dragoon

Reaction score
I agree. "Modern" rods are just too fast. I still fish Scott G series, Superfines and Sage LL's.

I wish when companies reintroduced these series though, they would actually REINTRODUCE them. Instead of coming out with a "G 2" or Superfine II or the like.

wichaka

Reaction score
I agree. "Modern" rods are just too fast. I still fish Scott G series, Superfines and Sage LL's.

I wish when companies reintroduced these series though, they would actually REINTRODUCE them. Instead of coming out with a "G 2" or Superfine II or the like.

Yep, I find the same thing. The original models seem to stand on their own over time.

I too still fish Sage SPL and LL and recently got an original Scott G...not the stiffer G2.

I don't own a Superfine, but have cast them and like their feel as well.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Its a damn shame that the market has shifted to accomidate the tip-flex/fast action arena, essentially leaving us traditionalists in the dust w/ only a handful of rods to choose from. Sage has done so well over the years financially, with thier fast action rods, I feel that the other manufacturers are now trying to mimic Sage's rod's flex profiles. I could be wrong, that's just the feeling I get working in the fly-fishing industry. Anyway, now that I'm done complaining I'll say that my 804-4 superfine is easily my favorite dry-fly trout rod. Matched with an orvis superfine fly line it's hard to beat for dry-fly presentation.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder of all this fast action fly rod stuff isn't a direct spin off from ultra modern bass rods that tourney bass fishermen use,,so they can ski a bass right to the boat. They care absolutely zero about 'touch and feel', just yank and dock. Seems that's what fast action fly rods are imitating.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Your right on the money fly_guy, if you want to take bass water-skiing for the day then a sage one or loomis nrx is perfect for you. I owned a loomis nrx for about a month, a sage tcx, echo 3 and fished a sage one for a while. All these rods had terrible feel and were absolutely souless, much like a hooker :p needless to say I tried my best to understand why people buy these rods and just couldnt make it happen, but I guess they work for a lot of anglers otherwise they wouldn't be selling so well. Either way us traditional anglers must stick together and ultimately figure a way to coax rod-makers into making rods the old fashioned way. Its okay to dream right?

mikel

Reaction score
My fav rod is my 2wt One Ouncer...and I have CT's in 3 and 5 wt, so I'm right there with any "traditionalists" for enjoying a more leisurely stroke and softer feel with a fish on...

...BUT...and this is an honest question, rather than a challenge...when you guys find yourself trying to plop a big load of stuff around on bigger waters, and maybe 8-12 ft of leader, do you need to fish a 7 or 8 where I'm fishing a Sage 5 wt?

I'm just thinking of light steelheading in Ca, where I routinely fish a 5 wt 9'6" Sage Fli or 9' VT2...there's no way my CT, even a 9 footer, could wrestle around that weight...or, at least I don't think it would be fun.

Even if that's true and one would need to use, let's say a 7 wt while I used a 5, who would care, as long as we both fished well and had a good time. Jeez...I hate when I answer my own questions.

Nevermind :confused: That's 45 secs of your life you'll never get back....

I'm going to Oregon next week. I'm a little amped up :)

-Mike

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I love my Superfine. I wanted to buy another one, but I couldn't afford it, so I bought a Redington Classic Trout fly rod. (They've since updated the rod. The new version is called The Temp.) For the money, the CT rod is a great, moderate-action fly rod.

Randy

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
My fav rod is my 2wt One Ouncer...and I have CT's in 3 and 5 wt, so I'm right there with any "traditionalists" for enjoying a more leisurely stroke and softer feel with a fish on...

...BUT...and this is an honest question, rather than a challenge...when you guys find yourself trying to plop a big load of stuff around on bigger waters, and maybe 8-12 ft of leader, do you need to fish a 7 or 8 where I'm fishing a Sage 5 wt?

I'm just thinking of light steelheading in Ca, where I routinely fish a 5 wt 9'6" Sage Fli or 9' VT2...there's no way my CT, even a 9 footer, could wrestle around that weight...or, at least I don't think it would be fun.

Even if that's true and one would need to use, let's say a 7 wt while I used a 5, who would care, as long as we both fished well and had a good time. Jeez...I hate when I answer my own questions.

Nevermind :confused: That's 45 secs of your life you'll never get back....

I'm going to Oregon next week. I'm a little amped up :)

-Mike
Mike,
Hey man your certainly right, when it comes time to throw heavy junk the soft, full flexing rods seem to suffer, however, My go-to 9' 5 weight is a sage vxp. I wouldn't put this rod in the same category as a sage tcx or one rod. Or a loomis nrx or orvis H2. The vxp flexes low enough on the blank so that I can still feel the load w/ a relatively slow n' easy casting stroke much like the vt2. Its the lightning fast rods that I don't like, such as the sage tcx. I should tell you that for steelhead I use a sage z-axis 7136, this rod loads very deep and I wouldn't consider it "fast". I also use a z-axis 8110, this rod is quicker than the 7136, but works great for my scandinavian lines and other dry line work for salmon.

However, at the end of the day its a rod like my 804 superfine touch that just has it, that slow easy stroke w/ tons of feel, throwing dries to risin trout. I just wish rod manufacturers would put more emphasis on building rods like this even if it means less revenue, instead of "selling out". When it comes time to throw buggers and multi-nymph rigs,I pull out the vxp and gets it done.

BTW mike, you use a 5 weight for steelhead??!! thats amazing!

No worries about answering own question, at the end of the day fishing is all about having fun and what gear works best for you. I've been ragging on fast action rods recently simply b/c I wish the industry would do whats best for anglers instead of quarterly reports. Anyway, enjoy Oregon brotha, I'm wicked jelous and wish I could bring my z-axis 7136 to the North Umqua.

mikel

Reaction score
BTW mike, you use a 5 weight for steelhead??!! thats amazing!
Early season for the 5 wt. When the wild fish start to show it's a 6 at minimum. I'd say a 7 would be perfect.

I'll be on the N Umqua end of the week. yay!

sorry if this turned into a hijack??

-Mike

von behr

Reaction score
I just recently brought home a new Orvis Superfine 2 wt. I tried a bunch of rods from different companies, but this one had the feel and flex I was looking for.

I don't know how it differs from the original, but the current version is very well made, great feel, high quality, and built in Vermont.

It's a keeper for sure.

-VB :)

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
I just recently brought home a new Orvis Superfine 2 wt. I tried a bunch of rods from different companies, but this one had the feel and flex I was looking for.

I don't know how it differs from the original, but the current version is very well made, great feel, high quality, and built in Vermont.

It's a keeper for sure.

-VB :)
-Congrats on joining the superfine club, this is one of those rods you simply can't cast without grinning ear to ear. The flex is perfection within the industry. So yes this rod does differ from the original, the tapers have been altered a bit, the wrapings, and also the hardware. However, orvis did a great job of maintaining the traditional feel and adding exceptional harware and materials. At $495 this is incredibly hard to beat, the only other rods I would compare this to in feel and accuracy are some of the rods in the winston lineup, Even then your paying an extra $200, so the superfine is a no-brainer.

Those of you considering a winston WT or bIIt, I challenge you to try the superfine against them and see how you feel.