TFO Custom Rod Shop

osok

Reaction score
Posting this for information only and not an endorsement. I do not work for TFO or another other company in the fishing business.

Press Release: April 10, 2013

TFO Custom Rod Shop

Fly-fishing with Temple Fork Outfitters just got better than ever with the introduction of TFO Custom Rods.

Similar to the aftermarket modifications sought after by car enthusiasts and racing buffs who want the maximum output from their ride, TFO is now proud to offer a number of customized options to further enhance the casting performance of a select series of rods in our stellar fly rod lineup. The casting characteristics of our production rods have earned the reputation of being second to none. But we know some of you out there demand even more and despite the proven excellence of our rods there is always room for further refinement.

In addition to cosmetic enhancements with guide wraps, reel seats and ergonomic grip modifications, the blank undergoes a blueprinting operation closely akin to engine refinements in the hands of master mechanics. After a blank is rolled it is subjected to a unique blueprinting operation where the energy output is measured inch by inch along its entire length. High and low energy spots are detected and eliminated. The end product is a blank that is in perfect balance. Its mechanical efficiency has been tuned to its absolute level of performance and that translates into a casting stroke that requires less energy input from the caster. For any given distance the rod works more and the caster works less. It is pure casting efficiency.

These custom options are geared toward the discerning angler who wants to step up to a stick that’s been tweaked to an ultra level of refinement. Cast one and you’ll know what it’s like to surpass your expectations of how a rod should perform.

Your TFO Custom Rod will be personalized, serial numbered, and custom finished in the USA. Now you can own a rod that fills your performance needs and pride of ownership for much less than the cost of many production rods. TFO Custom Rods are available in 9 foot 4-piece configurations in 4-, 5-, 6-, 8-, and 9-weights and feature TFO's legendary No-Fault Lifetime Warranty. Depending on the custom configuration of your rod, prices range from $550 to $575. Orders can be placed directly with TFO or through any authorized TFO dealer. For more information about the TFO Custom Rod Program, contact us directly or visit our website at Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rods.

Temple Fork Outfitters
8105 Sovereign Row
Dallas, TX 75247
(800) 638-9052 Ph
(214) 638-8143 Fax
info@templeforkflyrods.com
Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rods

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Wondering if Gary Loomis has also started rolling TFO's fly rod blanks @ NFC? If he has....they will be "Top Shelf"!

petee

Reaction score
Blueprinted? Never heard that when associated with fly rods. I sure would like to see how the high and low energy spots are eliminated after the blank is rolled. I just assumed that once rolled it was all said and done.

Sanding off material, adding material? Must be a fairly simple or at least a fast process in order to keep cost down. Sure sounds interesting.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Kind of cool to see all of these brands moving forward.

“Your TFO Custom Rod will be personalized, serial numbered, and custom finished in the USA. “

This doesn’t speak to the origin of the blank, which is of no major concern to me, but it would be nice for the sake of clarity in their promo and it might help with comparative shopping process.

I see Allen has stepped across the four hundred dollar barrier as well, with a custom build in the U.S.A.

Wondering what might be in the pipeline from Echo? :cool:

TT

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too am not surprised to hear that some portion of TFO blanks have minor structural anomalies. As I myself enjoy employing automotive analogies, I get what TFO is suggesting and I like it. However, like petee, I am unaware of post production "correction" in carbon rod blanks. I suspect they are "hand picking" the one-in-a-hundred perfect blanks and assigning them to this custom crafting operation and that "blueprinting" in the engine sense, is an analogy. Gary Loomis is a non-fly rod consultant to TFO but, to the best of my knowledge, does not perform any blank production for them; they have their dedicated rod shop in Korea for that.

mikel

Reaction score
A nice gift for the man who has everything...but I'm not investing 575 bucks in a TFO rod, with or without a blueprint.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
They do not cheat you out of a rod tube. They charge you only for the rod,,,and in the event you have travel cases as lots of us do,,,and store you rods in them with reel attached,,,you do not have to (and this is nice) pay for one more rod tube you dont really need. The round rod tubes,,aren't so important to everyone,,I'd about as soon all rod manufacturers included a modestly priced travel case (for rod AND reel mounted) But, again, I'ts not a big deal for me to just order one. It come's down to this,,they give YOU the option of what tube/case YOU wish to store it in. Not a bad idea I think.

If they included a simple round rod tube you'd pay 25-40 dollars more for the rod.

osok

Reaction score
They do not cheat you out of a rod tube. They charge you only for the rod,,,and in the event you have travel cases as lots of us do,,,and store you rods in them with reel attached,,,you do not have to (and this is nice) pay for one more rod tube you dont really need. The round rod tubes,,aren't so important to everyone,,I'd about as soon all rod manufacturers included a modestly priced travel case (for rod AND reel mounted) But, again, I'ts not a big deal for me to just order one. It come's down to this,,they give YOU the option of what tube/case YOU wish to store it in. Not a bad idea I think.

If they included a simple round rod tube you'd pay 25-40 dollars more for the rod.
Sir, I did not intend to touch a nerve. I meant it as friendly forum speak. I did post an extensive reply to your post but have edited it out as it does not need to be done on this fine forum. I do not choose to have the type of debate on this forum that it would require. I welcome to debate you by PM, if you wish.

Last edited:

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
OSOK,,,I also wish to say,,I didn't mean this as a lecture at you. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I just feel that even with the other rod co's we are still paying for that rod tube.

Did not mean to come across as 'preachy' at ya pard. Hope there is no hard feelings.

Extends hand in friendship

Michael

biggie_robs

Reaction score
The really interesting thing here is that I've listened to two separate Itinerant Angler podcasts (several years apart) on which Rick Pope is emphatic that TFO does not want to enter the high end market--that they are committed to making only affordable, but high quality, fly rods.

I wonder what changed?

I also wonder if it is a good idea. If TFO starts trying to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak, do they stay the same business? At this point, a TFO rod, no matter what model, is pretty much guaranteed to be high on the bang-for-your-buck scale. Is that going to stay true after they start selling ~$550 rods?

Time will tell, I suppose...

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I agree. Having a 'custom shop' is kewl though,,as long as they do not forsake their mid level line up. They've put good rods in the hands of fishermen of modest means. I too, hope they do not forsake that. I only have one TFO,,a BVK 5wt,,,but I think its a good rod for a fast rod. That's my small mouth bass rod..and as soon as Im over this surgery and doc clears me good to go, the bass will have to feed at their own peril ! I'll be letting ya'll know of how it tosses bigger flies and streamers and such. But to the point...I wouldn't have paid 500 dollars for a river rod but half that I could justify.

Michael

petee

Reaction score
The really interesting thing here is that I've listened to two separate Itinerant Angler podcasts (several years apart) on which Rick Pope is emphatic that TFO does not want to enter the high end market--that they are committed to making only affordable, but high quality, fly rods.

I wonder what changed?

I also wonder if it is a good idea. If TFO starts trying to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak, do they stay the same business? At this point, a TFO rod, no matter what model, is pretty much guaranteed to be high on the bang-for-your-buck scale. Is that going to stay true after they start selling ~$550 rods?

Time will tell, I suppose...
With some rods going for close to $1000.00 maybe $550.00 isn't considered "High End" anymore :confused:. I wouldn't expect them to get enough custom work to justify letting the rest of the business change.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A few points...kudos to you guys for avoiding a degenerating tone to this thread, well done gentlemen. Asian made Cordura covered PVC rod tubes cost the US marketer of off-shore built rods VERY little and, whether you use them or not (I store clean, dry rods in their tube but use a multi-rod case afield), all fly rods should come with a protective tube. If anyones' concern is that, by including a tube, TFO's reasonable pricing will escalate; keep in mind that a substantial component of their current pricing is there rapid, oft used, unconditional warranty. My concern as a frequent fly rod buyer who has three TFO rods in our house hold quiver, is that by admitting that to get optimal performance out of a popular model, it needs to be custom selected, "blueprinted", suggests a lapse in quality control at the production site level. If Sage, Scott, Loomis, Orvis, etc. discover a minor blank flaw during pre-assembly inspection, I am told they destroy the blank rather than passing it on to the unsuspecting angler. Errors do occur though and I'll pay extra to not be the recipient of invisibly flawed fly rods by relying on not needing a custom selected version.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
With some rods going for close to $1000.00 maybe $550.00 isn't considered "High End" anymore :confused:. I wouldn't expect them to get enough custom work to justify letting the rest of the business change.
I understand your initial point, but any rod over $500 is high end to me. I used the term "high-ish end" in a previous post.

Regarding your second point, it's not just about how many custom rods are sold. At this stage, instead of being able to claim their rods are on or near par with higher priced models (as they've done since the company's inception), now they've admitted that their rods have flaws, but they sell them anyway.

Going back to the interviews with Rick Pope that I listened to, he was effusive in his praise of their Korean factory. He has claimed, since they are the only rods built at this factory, that their quality control is as good as any company's.

So why do their blanks need to be selected and "blueprinted" now?

*I really don't know what blueprinting is, so maybe I am missing something*

TFO built their business on word of mouth--not advertising. I'm not sure how that will work when someone says to you "You should try a TFO rod. They're awesome!" Then you do a quick Google search and find out that they reserve their quality blanks for "blueprinting" and fancy cork.

I don't know what I think about this move, nor how it will turn out, but I think it is a significant event in the fly rod industry. TFO used to be adamant that they were trying to grow the sport by providing entry level (and other) fly fisherman a quality product at an affordable price.

What has changed?