3 wt Rod Recommendation (BVK maybe)?

ts47

Reaction score
I've fished a Redington 9 foot 5 wt for a few years now. I'm finding more and more smaller creeks and streams in my area - free stone with lots of pocket water and smaller limestone creeks where a lighter and more delicate presentation would be better. Something a little shorter than 9 feet would make some of the tight places I get into a little easier to fish as well. I'm not looking to drain the retirement fund on a new rod, but do want something good. I'm considering the BVK 3 wt AND the 2 foot extension that TFO sells. This would give me a slightly shorter rod (8 feet) and the ability to turn it into a 10foot nymphing rod when needed. Costs are $225 and $99 which is a price point I am comfortable with.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

ts47

Reaction score
never fished a bvk, but they do get good reviews.
i think the idea of an "extension" for a fly rod is interesting.
I agree with you. I fish the Savage in western Maryland. A 10 foot 3 or 4 wt would be ideal for high sticking. I also fish some smaller pocket water in central Maryland where a shorter rod would be good. I don't know how much difference going from my 9 foot 5 wt to an 8 foot rod would make. Based on some of the tight spots I've gotten into, it sure wouldn't hurt! With the BVK, you can have both.

I did a lot of digging on the internet before posting this question. I found lots of good comments and reviews on this setup - most dating back to 2010 and a few from 2011, but nothing recent. Not sure if there is something better out there or not. Hopefully, someone from this site can give me a more current opinion on the better rods in 2013 and if this rod is still competitive.

newby

Reaction score
I have a 9' 5wt BVK myself. It is a fantastic rod and my go to for nymph indicator rigs, streamers, etc....... It has a lot of backbone, maybe a bit too much backbone for a small stream fly rod, IMO.

If you are looking to mainly nymph and throw streamers, etc..... the BVK is perfect. But if you are after a rod with a really delicate touch for dry flies and anything else you might throw, I would look elsewhere.

I have a TFO finesse- it is also a great rod. Not as fast action but it thows a dry very gently and can also throw streamers and nymphs easily. You might also look at the Redington Classic Trout/Tempt and the Allen ATS if you are after something that can do it all but has delicacy.

Not that the BVK lacks delicacy or wouldn't make a good stream rod. With heavy flies or wind, the BVK is an excellent choice,

ts47

Reaction score
I have a 9' 5wt BVK myself. It is a fantastic rod and my go to for nymph indicator rigs, streamers, etc....... It has a lot of backbone, maybe a bit too much backbone for a small stream fly rod, IMO.

If you are looking to mainly nymph and throw streamers, etc..... the BVK is perfect. But if you are after a rod with a really delicate touch for dry flies and anything else you might throw, I would look elsewhere.

I have a TFO finesse- it is also a great rod. Not as fast action but it thows a dry very gently and can also throw streamers and nymphs easily. You might also look at the Redington Classic Trout/Tempt and the Allen ATS if you are after something that can do it all but has delicacy.

Not that the BVK lacks delicacy or wouldn't make a good stream rod. With heavy flies or wind, the BVK is an excellent choice,
I appreciate the advice. Your comments are exactly why I haven't already replaced my 9 foot 5 wt Redinton Red Fly 2 with a BVK 5 wt. Based on the reviews I've read, the BVK 5 wt needs a 5.5 wt line to load the rod with the possible sweet spot being a 6 wt line. This makes it somewhat less practical for dry flies. Yellowstone Angler is about to release their 2013 5 wt shootout. I want to see their comments before I buy another 5 wt rod.

Now with the BVK 3 wt rod that I'm considering (and still open to and hoping to get other suggestions or comments), it has reportedly a somewhat softer action than the rest of the BVK line. The 3 wt rod I asked for recommendations on at the start of this thread will be used for dry flies, nymphs (including high sticking) and perhaps the occasional smaller streamer. I'm assuming any BVK rod will have a bit of a backbone, but in a 3 wt size would allow for a more delicate presentation.

I picked up a Redington Tempt. It just felt too soft to me. I am not familiar with any Allen rods. The TFO Finesse is a rod I hadn't considered. Yellowston Anglers compared the BVK and Finesse and liked the BVK better (in a 5 wt-they did not test any 3 wts). You could have a point though. It could be worth test casting if I can find one locally. Another affordable rod that I've heard good things about is the St Croix Imperial. I haven't been able to test that rod either. Supposedly it's an easy casting fast action rod with a softer tip than the BVK. The St Croix is one of the 5 weights I have on my list to consider when I replace my Red Fly 2. The biggest challenge is finding the rods and shops that will let you test cast the rod. One of the better selections of rods in my area is at Bass Pro. They won't let you test cast anything!

The only other bonus with the BVK 3 wt is the 2 foot extension that bumps the rod up to more of a 4 wt 10 foot rod without forcing me to buy a second full rod/reel setup. I don't know what the action is like on the 10 foot version or if I could fish the same line on both. I would be happy to over line it to a 3.5 or 4 wt line. I wouldn't want the rod to "need" a heavier line than that though. I would loose the delicacy I am looking for by buying a 3 weight rod.

newby

Reaction score
I have also cast a BVK 3wt, to clarify. If you like fast action rods with plenty of oomph then it is for you. It is just a tad softer than the 5wt but it's still a fast action rod.

I also have a 7'6" 4wt St. Croix Imperial. Another great rod. Lots of backbone but it does have a tip that protects tippet well.

As for the yellowstone angler reviews- I don't take them as the bible. George Anderson is much more experienced than me, and a MUCH better caster, but he is just a human. As such he has personal preferences and biases. If your personal preferences go along with his then those reviews are a good resource.

My personal preferences do not match his at all. He often states a dislike of and disappointment in the very rods that would win the shootout if it were based on my preferences.

If you have the money than you could also go high end- Sage, Scott, Winston, etc.......

Allen fly fishing has a deal where they send you one of their rods to cast. You keep it in new condition while you test it and only pay if you like it. If you don't then you can just send it back. Perhaps you could consider doing this with one of their rods.

yonder

Reaction score
I'm with newby on this one.....I have the 3 weight BVK, a 2 weight finesse, and two redington CT's in 3 and 5 weights. The BVK rarely gets any use on small streams, which I fish the most. IMHO mind you, it is just not a delicate rod. I overline it to a 4 weight to fit my casting style, and save it for some smallmouth bass on the new river, here in N.C., where the afternoon winds, and wide open water makes this rod ideal. This rod is a real "shooter", but I find that quality to be unnecessary in tight quarters. Everyone is different, and I hope you can test cast a few different rods before you make a purchase. Good luck in your search...:)

ts47

Reaction score
I have also cast a BVK 3wt, to clarify. If you like fast action rods with plenty of oomph then it is for you. It is just a tad softer than the 5wt but it's still a fast action rod.

I also have a 7'6" 4wt St. Croix Imperial. Another great rod. Lots of backbone but it does have a tip that protects tippet well.

As for the yellowstone angler reviews- I don't take them as the bible. George Anderson is much more experienced than me, and a MUCH better caster, but he is just a human. As such he has personal preferences and biases. If your personal preferences go along with his then those reviews are a good resource.

My personal preferences do not match his at all. He often states a dislike of and disappointment in the very rods that would win the shootout if it were based on my preferences.

If you have the money than you could also go high end- Sage, Scott, Winston, etc.......

Allen fly fishing has a deal where they send you one of their rods to cast. You keep it in new condition while you test it and only pay if you like it. If you don't then you can just send it back. Perhaps you could consider doing this with one of their rods.
Thanks for the info!! It's good to hear about the St Croix. I will try to find that rod and test it if I can. I don't mind a fast action 3 wt rod with a "little" backbone, especially if it has a softer tip. I can afford to spend more money, but don't really want to. I'd prefer to save the extra money and put it toward a new 5 wt setup - which I would also like to buy. My Redington Red Fly 2 is okay. It was my first rod. Now, it's just not what I consider to be that perfect 5 wt.

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 AM ----------

I'm with newby on this one.....I have the 3 weight BVK, a 2 weight finesse, and two redington CT's in 3 and 5 weights. The BVK rarely gets any use on small streams, which I fish the most. IMHO mind you, it is just not a delicate rod. I overline it to a 4 weight to fit my casting style, and save it for some smallmouth bass on the new river, here in N.C., where the afternoon winds, and wide open water makes this rod ideal. This rod is a real "shooter", but I find that quality to be unnecessary in tight quarters. Everyone is different, and I hope you can test cast a few different rods before you make a purchase. Good luck in your search...:)
I appreciate your input. I hadn't considered that the BVK in a 3 wt could be that stiff.

dpreller

Reaction score
this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. which is probably not much but while the bvk is a fine rod in higher line weights in a 3 weight for small waters and dries like your describing i would want a more moderate action rod that loads more on short casts. in the price range your describing st croix imperial or avid would be my choice. if you wanted to go big then scott g2 or winston. btw im also from maryland and fish savage and gunpowder alot if that is the other central MD stream your refering to. although the size of these streams is small the tailwater trout are very selective and the currents tricky so even in the light weights arod with some lenght helps especially with nymphing. I have a 8ft 4in 3wt g2 that i use primarily for dries ,sulphur spinner fall after work ticos etc and my go to rod is a 9ft 4 wt scott g2.

ts47

Reaction score
this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. which is probably not much but while the bvk is a fine rod in higher line weights in a 3 weight for small waters and dries like your describing i would want a more moderate action rod that loads more on short casts. in the price range your describing st croix imperial or avid would be my choice. if you wanted to go big then scott g2 or winston. btw im also from maryland and fish savage and gunpowder alot if that is the other central MD stream your refering to. although the size of these streams is small the tailwater trout are very selective and the currents tricky so even in the light weights arod with some lenght helps especially with nymphing. I have a 8ft 4in 3wt g2 that i use primarily for dries ,sulphur spinner fall after work ticos etc and my go to rod is a 9ft 4 wt scott g2.
My initial thought on the BVK was, with the two foot extension, you almost get two rods for the price of one. This served the purpose of a shorter and more delicate pocket water rod and a 10 foot rod for high sticking. It's beginning to sound like the BVK may not be the best rod for the money. I've read good things about the Imperial. Do you think it is soft enough to load on that short cast? I'm not familiar with the Avid, but could look into it.

I take two 4 day trips a year (and may take a third) to Garrett County to fish the Savage, North Branch and Casselman Rivers. Never fished the Yough. Lately, I've been fishing Beaver Creek, Owens Creek and Friends Creek. These three and the Savage would all be better with a lighter rod. The thing is, they mix short casts with delicate presentation and high sticking with nymphs. (Still a bit of a beginner here.) These two suggest two different rods - a shorter 3 weight and a longer 4 wt. I was trying not to buy multiple rods. Maybe now I better understand why so many fly fishermen own so many rods.

dpreller

Reaction score
yeah beaver owens and friends i use my eight foot four weight alot,i have a winston b2x but thats a high dollar rod you dont have to spend that much the imperial at around 179 or avid at around 250 will do real well for the savage i like my 9foot four weight.helps with those trick currents and high sticking. remember the long rod is useful in pocket water even for dries because you can lift alot of line off all those varying currents ant those savage fish are very sensitive to drag. for the cassleman and north branch i like a 9foot five or even six because both those river fish very well with streamers and have some pretty large fish.

ts47

Reaction score
yeah beaver owens and friends i use my eight foot four weight alot,i have a winston b2x but thats a high dollar rod you dont have to spend that much the imperial at around 179 or avid at around 250 will do real well for the savage i like my 9foot four weight.helps with those trick currents and high sticking. remember the long rod is useful in pocket water even for dries because you can lift alot of line off all those varying currents ant those savage fish are very sensitive to drag. for the cassleman and north branch i like a 9foot five or even six because both those river fish very well with streamers and have some pretty large fish.
Your advice makes sense. Perhaps an 8 foot 4 wt (as a second rod) is really what I should be considering rather than a 3 wt for when I want a more delicate presentation? I'm not sure it would be a perfect anything. It would though, likely be that good middle ground for when I need a more delicate rod.

The friend that introduced me to some of the smaller local waters fishes them with a 6 1/2 foot Orvis Superfine Touch that is really a sweet little rod. He really wishes it was longer though and wasn't shy about sharing that fact with me.

Do you have any thoughts on a good, but affordable all purpose 5 wt? I do throw a lot of nymphs and streamers(size 10-8 mostly with the occasional 6), but also want to be able to take advantage of dry flies when the hatch presents itself. This would be my North Branch, Cassellman and high sticking rod.

dpreller

Reaction score
there are lots of good affordable 9ft 5weights. I can again recommend the st.sroix imperial also the echo3 which is on sale right now at south holsto flyshop.(on line) the bvk is also a nice rod in that weight although likes a little heavier line (gpx or similar) im sure there are others i havent tried that some members will recommend. an 8 ft 4wt is a pretty useful size and weight around here gives enough reach and a little more umph for small nymphs or streamers. as i said i do own and enjoy a three wt but its somewhat of a specialty rod. you may want to consider one after you have a few of the basics covered. the 4 is a lso a blast with big panfish and small bass on poppers. deep creek lake has some stud bluegills and im sure there are local farm ponds around you.

mikel

Reaction score
These two suggest two different rods - a shorter 3 weight and a longer 4 wt. I was trying not to buy multiple rods. Maybe now I better understand why so many fly fishermen own so many rods.
I think everything said re the BVK at 8' is accurate. It's a little quick for me (a CT 3wt owner) but very crisp and light in hand.

I do like it at 10' very much for nymphing. Fished one for a couple of hours not long ago matched with a little Konic and 4 wt line. Very sweet set up for nymphing...and a roll casting jessie.

If you want something softer for presenting dries, it's probably not for you, as it's not for me...but for the right guy, it's very nice.

As with all rods, the BVK doesn't do well if left on the roof of your truck as you drive down hwy 395. Good news is the warranty works very well...this according to my pal who tested the question. :)

shimloom

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the BVK, however I do own two 3wts. a G.Loomis GLX Whispercreek 8'8" and it is a great small fly/steam rod. You can find deals on them on eBay for around $300.00 or so. Super sweat rod. The other is a G.Loomis Trilogy 7'6" that are found on ebay for $150.00, a great small steam rod.

Craig

ts47

Reaction score
there are lots of good affordable 9ft 5weights. I can again recommend the st.sroix imperial also the echo3 which is on sale right now at south holsto flyshop.(on line) the bvk is also a nice rod in that weight although likes a little heavier line (gpx or similar) im sure there are others i havent tried that some members will recommend. an 8 ft 4wt is a pretty useful size and weight around here gives enough reach and a little more umph for small nymphs or streamers. as i said i do own and enjoy a three wt but its somewhat of a specialty rod. you may want to consider one after you have a few of the basics covered. the 4 is a lso a blast with big panfish and small bass on poppers. deep creek lake has some stud bluegills and im sure there are local farm ponds around you.
All good advice and much appreciated!! I haven't tried Deep Creek Lake yet. Now maybe, I'll have to. That sounds like some action I could get my son into. Are you fishing from the shore, boat or...? Anything you can offer to shorten the learning curve.

Did you mean South Holsto"n" Fly Shop? If yes, how did you run across this shop? And... Where did you find an Imperial for 179? If you've got a good connection, please share!

Thanks again for all the time helping with my questions.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

I think everything said re the BVK at 8' is accurate. It's a little quick for me (a CT 3wt owner) but very crisp and light in hand.

I do like it at 10' very much for nymphing. Fished one for a couple of hours not long ago matched with a little Konic and 4 wt line. Very sweet set up for nymphing...and a roll casting jessie.

If you want something softer for presenting dries, it's probably not for you, as it's not for me...but for the right guy, it's very nice.

As with all rods, the BVK doesn't do well if left on the roof of your truck as you drive down hwy 395. Good news is the warranty works very well...this according to my pal who tested the question. :)
Great story! I've had some mishaps with rods over the years. Thankfully, I've never done that one before! Good to know about the warranty though.

I really wanted to hear that the BVK 3 wt was the right choice. I know they're great rods and all. It just seems they're not the right match for the kind of fishing I do. If I were looking for a 7 or 8 wt rod, I wouldn't bother asking the question. I'd just buy the BVK. Of course I'm saying this without casting one myself - which I may still do if I can find one locally. I do get everyone's point though.

Thanks for the insight!

yonder

Reaction score
You really should cast one for yourself, as it is your opinion on the BVK that will matter the most to you. My personal opinion is heavily biased, as I prefer slower, more medium action rods, like the ones of my youth. Old habits are hard to break. :)

ts47

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the BVK, however I do own two 3wts. a G.Loomis GLX Whispercreek 8'8" and it is a great small fly/steam rod. You can find deals on them on eBay for around $300.00 or so. Super sweat rod. The other is a G.Loomis Trilogy 7'6" that are found on ebay for $150.00, a great small steam rod.

Craig
You make an interesting point. I had considered a used rod. There was a Trout Unlimited show in Bethesda, MD just recently. I even got a casting lesson from Lefty Kreh!! There was an Orvis guide there who was selling a very nice used Helios for something between $350-395 I think. I came really close to writing that check. The only thing that stopped me (aside from not being sure about spending that much money on a rod) was, as a second owner, not having any kind of a warranty.

The only other question I've pondered is whether spending the big bucks on a rod really would make that much of a difference in how much I enjoy the sport and how much better I could cast over a really well chosen good $200-250 rod????

Thanks for your suggestion.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

You really should cast one for yourself, as it is your opinion on the BVK that will matter the most to you. My personal opinion is heavily biased, as I prefer slower, more medium action rods, like the ones of my youth. Old habits are hard to break. :)
Your point is well made. If I can find one to cast, I will.

Tks!

coolhand

Reaction score
Some other "value oriented" 3 wts to consider:

Greys Streamflex XF2 - very nicely appointed and lightweight
Echo Edge - very durable and performs extremely well for it's price point
Winston Passport - nice "all-around" action.
Beulah Platinum - outstanding performance, looks great, might be hard to find.
G. Loomis Pro 4x - little "heavier" in weight, but very smooth. - USA made!

I am not a big fan of the TFO stuff, they cast fairly well, but seem to be a bit fragile with avg. to below avg. componentry. Although their warranty is excellent. The "extension" is an interesting idea, although I haven't heard how the rod casts with it deployed.

ts47

Reaction score
Some other "value oriented" 3 wts to consider:

Greys Streamflex XF2 - very nicely appointed and lightweight
Echo Edge - very durable and performs extremely well for it's price point
Winston Passport - nice "all-around" action.
Beulah Platinum - outstanding performance, looks great, might be hard to find.
G. Loomis Pro 4x - little "heavier" in weight, but very smooth. - USA made!

I am not a big fan of the TFO stuff, they cast fairly well, but seem to be a bit fragile with avg. to below avg. componentry. Although their warranty is excellent. The "extension" is an interesting idea, although I haven't heard how the rod casts with it deployed.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I need to find a fly shop in my area with a decent rod selection that will also allow me to cast a few rods.