Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orvis Clearwater?

1. Default Re: Orvis Clearwater?

I talked to the shop and they said they would offer me the same combo deal no matter what reel I decide to buy so now i'm looking at the Access mid-arbor II. this seems like it would be a better reel, I don't want to buy a reel and have to upgrade in 2 months.

Default Re: Orvis Clearwater?

the Access reels are really,really good reels.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpowerman1 View Post
    I talked to the shop and they said they would offer me the same combo deal no matter what reel I decide to buy so now i'm looking at the Access mid-arbor II. this seems like it would be a better reel, I don't want to buy a reel and have to upgrade in 2 months.
    Great choice. but I suggest you to buy the III.

I bought the Access IV (7-9wt) for my 5wt so I can also use the reel for my 7 and 8 wt and probably for my future 9wt. just my 2 cents.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

4. Likes baseman1 liked this post

There's nothing wrong with the Clearwater reel. My first rod/reel setup was a Redington Red Fly 2. I've just recently gotten serious about the sport and bought more rods - one being the Clearwater combo in a 4 wt. It casts better than my Redfly 2 ever did. As long as you take care of it, all pieces of that combo will last you a long time!! I did upgrade the line to the Helios 3D textured line.

On the Clearwater vs. Access reels, The Clearwater is a large arbor while the Access is a mid arbor. Ask your sales guy the difference. The Access reel is a better reel, though I suspect you'll be just fine for years to come with the Clearwater. Besides, Orivs has a great warranty and customer service. If anything were to go wrong, they'd take care of you. Buy a reel to match your rod. I'm not a fan of buying an oversized reel to match 6 different size rods. The Clearwater II reel will work on a size 4,5 & 6 wt rods. It is the proper size for your rod.

If you just have to buy a different reel, consider a Ross or Lamson large arbor reel and a fly line other than an Orvis line - perhaps a Scientific Angler Mastery Trout or textured Trout Stalker line.

Enjoy the new rod! It's a great setup for the money and a great first rod to own!!

I recently bought a 7ft 4wt Clearwater rod and plan to fish it for the first time this weekend. Can't wait. I paired it with a Lamson Litespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
    I recently bought a 7ft 4wt Clearwater rod and plan to fish it for the first time this weekend. Can't wait. I paired it with a Lamson Litespeed.
    That's a sweet reel on a nice rod. I own a Clearwater 7' 4wt as well. It's great for those tight places!! That reel may be more than what I might suggest the op (usmcpowerman1) buy as a first reel. That Lightspeed could easily be paired with with a MUCH more expensive rod, like an Orvis Access or Helios 2.

Without fact checking, I thought all Orvis combo outfits included the line and backing...is this not the case at the Clearwater end of the spectrum? I also agree with working through your local fly shop. Supporting them may develop into an important learning curve relationship. Enjoy your first season fly fishing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12