Orvis Clearwater?

usmcpowerman1

Reaction score
So im looking at gettting a Orvis Clearwater as my first fly rod. Went to the local shop today and tried a few and it felt the best of the ones i tried. It was a 9' 4 wt. I'm mainly going to use this on some medium sized trout streams around my area and maybe pond fish for some perch or small bass. Any other recomendations? Local shop would throw in line, backing, tippet etc. for free if i bought the rod and the reel from them. Any help would be appreciated as i am totally new at this.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
The Clearwater is a fine rod, but I wouldn't buy it as an outfit. I'd go with another reel than the Clearwater reel. 9', 4wt outta be just the ticket for what you are fishing for.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Well, if you DO buy it as a combo, Orvis has combo's on sale at this time. Might save you some dollars if your local shop doesn't have the sale price on combo's.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The Clearwater is a good choice. I think that it is one of the better quality price pointed rods on the market.

If the local shop guy is going to help you out with a line and accessories, by all means, buy a whole outfit. Good local shops are hard to come by, so help him out by having him help you out.

I am not a big fan of the corresponding Clearwater reel. It is just made so hinky meaning I'm not thrilled on the quality. I would be looking at the Battenkill Bar Stock reel if you want that traditional Orvis look or an Access Mid Arbor reel if you want a more modern design.

Dennis

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I got my girlfriend the Clearwater 8'6" 4 wt and matching Clearwater reel/line for Valentines Day...

I am REALLY impressed with that rod and reel, especially for the price point it is in.

The reel has room for improvement, but it gets the job done... If you can afford it, going with one of their more expensive reels will get you an even better rod/reel combo...

I think you will be happy.

fishngolf16

Reaction score
I started with a Clearwater, my brother started with a Clearwater, and my kids now have a Clearwater. Great rods for the price and they still come with the 25 year warranty. Easy decision, buy the rod and never look back.

If the Clearwater reel is not what you are looking for in the package make sure to ask if you can change up the package a little and still get the line and backing for free. Most shops will work with you a little to make sure you come back.

runningfish

Reaction score
The Clearwater is a nice rod, I would take the discounted outfit that Orvis is currently offering. I think the 4wt Clearwater combo will have the Clearwater Large Arbor II reel. I had that reel before I traded it with Access IV mid arbor. Nothing wrong with the reel, I just want to have a fully sealed reel like the Access IV. For small stream and pond fishing the LA Clearwater II will do just great.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I agree that the current Clearwater models are very nice rods for the money. If you tried a few and the 9x4 is the one that felt best, that's the one you should get. You really don't need anything special in a reel with a 4 weight rod, so I would say the combo outfit should suit you just fine. However, if you do want a nicer reel, and if your shop is a designated Orvis dealer, they might be willing to substitute the Battenkill or Access reel and offer a commensurate discount on those too.

caseywise

Reaction score
get the rod, upgrade the reel.
when i got my clearwater II(a few years ago) rod/reel set up i asked to upgrade to a bma.
no problem, just a bit more coin. but well,well worth it.
i would recommend you upgrade to a bbs if you can.

casey

usmcpowerman1

Reaction score
I talked to the shop and they said they would offer me the same combo deal no matter what reel I decide to buy so now i'm looking at the Access mid-arbor II. this seems like it would be a better reel, I don't want to buy a reel and have to upgrade in 2 months.

runningfish

Reaction score
I talked to the shop and they said they would offer me the same combo deal no matter what reel I decide to buy so now i'm looking at the Access mid-arbor II. this seems like it would be a better reel, I don't want to buy a reel and have to upgrade in 2 months.
Great choice. but I suggest you to buy the III.

I bought the Access IV (7-9wt) for my 5wt so I can also use the reel for my 7 and 8 wt and probably for my future 9wt. just my 2 cents.

ts47

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the Clearwater reel. My first rod/reel setup was a Redington Red Fly 2. I've just recently gotten serious about the sport and bought more rods - one being the Clearwater combo in a 4 wt. It casts better than my Redfly 2 ever did. As long as you take care of it, all pieces of that combo will last you a long time!! I did upgrade the line to the Helios 3D textured line.

On the Clearwater vs. Access reels, The Clearwater is a large arbor while the Access is a mid arbor. Ask your sales guy the difference. The Access reel is a better reel, though I suspect you'll be just fine for years to come with the Clearwater. Besides, Orivs has a great warranty and customer service. If anything were to go wrong, they'd take care of you. Buy a reel to match your rod. I'm not a fan of buying an oversized reel to match 6 different size rods. The Clearwater II reel will work on a size 4,5 & 6 wt rods. It is the proper size for your rod.

If you just have to buy a different reel, consider a Ross or Lamson large arbor reel and a fly line other than an Orvis line - perhaps a Scientific Angler Mastery Trout or textured Trout Stalker line.

Enjoy the new rod! It's a great setup for the money and a great first rod to own!!

mike63

Reaction score
I recently bought a 7ft 4wt Clearwater rod and plan to fish it for the first time this weekend. Can't wait. I paired it with a Lamson Litespeed.

ts47

Reaction score
I recently bought a 7ft 4wt Clearwater rod and plan to fish it for the first time this weekend. Can't wait. I paired it with a Lamson Litespeed.
That's a sweet reel on a nice rod. I own a Clearwater 7' 4wt as well. It's great for those tight places!! That reel may be more than what I might suggest the op (usmcpowerman1) buy as a first reel. That Lightspeed could easily be paired with with a MUCH more expensive rod, like an Orvis Access or Helios 2.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Without fact checking, I thought all Orvis combo outfits included the line and backing...is this not the case at the Clearwater end of the spectrum? I also agree with working through your local fly shop. Supporting them may develop into an important learning curve relationship. Enjoy your first season fly fishing!