Winston Boron II MX 5/6 wt 9ft

sherlocktt

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I'm up to order Winston's fly rod but i can't decide which class should fit my needs better.
I'm looking for a rod for throwing big hoopers/bugs, also some mid-sized streamers as well as medium sized dry flies.
Mostly i will use this rod for big chub fishing, but trouts and graylings are also welcomed :)
Can't understand what is the limmit for Boron II MX 5 wt 9ft...
I guess the 6wt would be better for me, but maybe 5wt is enough?
I cant try this rod in the shop, because they are impossible to wound in our contry, thats why i'm asking your advise.
And what floating line would be better for 6wt rod?
I heared that some use for 6wt rod 7wt line, exactly in Winstons case, is it so?
Thank you :)

sherlocktt

Reaction score
I've decided to go for 6wt.
But i don't know what line would be better for my needs.
RIO GRAND
RIO SMALLMOUTH BASS
Rio Outbound Short Coldwater, WF6F
Will be used for throwing big bugs for chub.

sherlocktt

Reaction score
Ty for this mate, but i can't found anywhere how many grains line should i use for Borons MX II 6 wt 9ft.
Can some help me with this?

sherlocktt

Reaction score
The shop i'm ordering from offer only Rio.
I must choose between:
Line Size Color Head Weight Head Length Sink Rate Total Length
1. RIO GOLD WF6F Moss/Gold 220 48ft 14.6m Float 100ft 30.5m
2. RIO GOLD TOURNAMENT WF6F Orange 370 75.5ft 23m Float 120ft 36.6m
3. RIO GRAND WF6F Pale Green/Lt. Yellow 230 39ft 11.8m Float 100ft 30.5m

or maybe RIO SMALLMOUTH BASS WF6F Bronze/Beige 200 64ft 19.5m Float 100ft 30.5m
The weight distribution and powerful front taper easily casts typical Clouser and Bass bug flies, while a unique handling section at the back of the head allows anglers to mend and control the fly effectively. The line is built with a hard, warm water coating that withstands typical summer heat, and ensures the line shoots through the guides with ease.

What wieght and lengt would be better for throwing big hooppers for chub?
P.S. 6 wt 9ft MX II

Jackster

Reaction score
I believe you'll find Winstons like the weight line they were made for. If you overline your new rod it might lose some of its crispness.
Consider a 6 weight line with an aggressive front taper that will help turn over those beefy flies.
Here's a few to consider and further confuse you!

SA Textured Magnum or Titan, Rio Smallmouth, Power Fly or OutBound Short, Airflo Bass and more.
Mastery Textured Series - Lines

Smallmouth Bass - Freshwater Fly Lines | RIO

http://www.flylines.com/TemplateIma.../freshwater/bass_and_muskie/Bass_muskie_5.png

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I believe you'll find Winstons like the weight line they were made for. If you overline your new rod it might lose some of its crispness.
Consider a 6 weight line with an aggressive front taper that will help turn over those beefy flies.
Winston is one of those companies that pretty well states what their rods are. Jackster is on the money with this one. Don't overline. If you go with the Grand get a 5 (which is really a 6 :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Ty for this mate, but i can't found anywhere how many grains line should i use for Borons MX II 6 wt 9ft.
Can some help me with this?
One usually does not see grain weight charts for single handed rods as one would see for Spey rods. However I used to keep notes on a rod's performance from either parking lot casting or fishing, so I could write up a description for the shop's website (rather than cutting and pasting what a manufacturer had to say).

Here is something from my notes for a 9' 6 weight B2Mx:
Not the typical Winston. Feels closer to Sage TCR. Flex point is higher on the rod than B2x. Best casts at medium to long. Short game can be improved with a heavier line. Prefer it more as a streamer rod.
Floating line recs: Rio Grand, SA Mastery GPX
(edit 4/28/13 for this thread: Rio Grand was +.5 line weight at the time, around 172ish grains. SA GPX is still .5 over)
Nymph/Steelhead line recs: Rio or SA Mastery Steelhead Tapers WF7F or WF8F depending on payload
Intermediate line recs: Cortland 444 Camo WF7I
Streamer line recs: Airflo Depth Finder 200 grain, Rio Streamer Line 200 grain, Cortland QD 175 or 225 grain depending on payload
The new Rio Grand should be fine even though it is +1 over. A B2Mx can handle line mass as heavy as 225 grains. It will not hurt having extra line mass to help throw those big bugs.

Dennis

sherlocktt

Reaction score
One usually does not see grain weight charts for single handed rods as one would see for Spey rods. However I used to keep notes on a rod's performance from either parking lot casting or fishing, so I could write up a description for the shop's website (rather than cutting and pasting what a manufacturer had to say).

Here is something from my notes for a 9' 6 weight B2Mx:

The new Rio Grand should be fine even though it is +1 over. A B2Mx can handle line mass as heavy as 225 grains. It will not hurt having extra line mass to help throw those big bugs.

Dennis
Thanks a lot i think this info will definitely help me :)
But the last point:
RIO Smallmouth Bass has the longer head 64ft 200 grains
While RIO GRAND's head is only 39ft but a bit heavier 230 grains.
What to choose the longer head 200 grans or shorter head but more heavy?
Or maybe I should take both ... :D

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
If you want to stay consistent with my numbers, you should be looking at the grain weight at 30 feet. Rio provides that number on its "click the line profile" link.

I do not have experience with the Rio Smallmouth line.

From past experience, I always have found shorter heads easier to manage with big flies. The caster will feel more rod load with less line out.

Dennis

barham

Reaction score
Several years ago I received a Winston B2MX 9' 5wt while signing up for a life membership in Trout Unlimited. It came with a Lamson Guru 1.5 loaded with 5wt line. I did not like the way it loaded so I experimented with a reel with 6wt line at a fly shop. It seemed easier to cast so I loaded my Guru with 6wt Rio Gold; it was an improvement. Frankly, its not as enjoyable to use as my Sage Zaxis 5wt 9' with Rio Gold 5; Winston B2x 6wt 9' with Gold 6; or even my Albright A5 5wt 9' with Grand 5.
It seems too stiff to me.
barham

sherlocktt

Reaction score
If you want to stay consistent with my numbers, you should be looking at the grain weight at 30 feet. Rio provides that number on its "click the line profile" link.

I do not have experience with the Rio Smallmouth line.

From past experience, I always have found shorter heads easier to manage with big flies. The caster will feel more rod load with less line out.

Dennis
Ok lets take that Rio Grand as an example than.
It has 231 grains at 30 feet while beiing marked FW8F. You mean this one will be suitable for me?
So as i understood i should search line with the weight about 225 grains / 300 feet for #6 wt 9 ft, Right ?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Ok lets take that Rio Grand as an example than.
It has 231 grains at 30 feet while beiing marked FW8F. You mean this one will be suitable for me?
So as i understood i should search line with the weight about 225 grains / 300 feet for #6 wt 9 ft, Right ?
Don't overthink this. The first 30 feet of a Rio Grand WF6F weighs 178 grains. That should be more than adequate to throw whatever fly you need to throw.

The only reason to go 200 grains or more is if you are throwing large streamers that have heavy cones or beads or eyes, lots of lead wraps, and an over abundance of hair or feathers (kinda like Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon).

Dennis

Last edited: