2013 5-Weight Shootout

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Well it is finally up on the Yellowstone Angler web site 2013 5 weight shootout - Yellowstone Angler , the 2013 version of the 5-Weight Shootout is complete. Having read the Mini-Shootout a couple months ago, I was surprised to see that George had overlooked several rods close to home for him and there are new winners at the top of his lists. I have not read the Shootout yet, just scanned it in preparation for posting it to our forum but I could not help but note that two of the top placing rods exceed a grand in price and one of my personal favorites placed very mid-pack. Along with he rest of you, I will need to read in more detail and comment further later.

bpeter

Reaction score
Being Swedish, it's interesting to read that they prefer the Loop Opti Stream to the much more expensive Loop Cross S1 (not tested). "Nano-technology" is not everything. :)

I thought they would find the Opti Stream slightly underlined (historically said to be more of a 5½ wt, not that I have tried it myself).

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have read the 2013 shootout and compared the spec.for the Hardy Zenith with that of the 2011 shootout. Hardy produced a new rod this year that was a 0.5 ounce lighter (3.0 oz.) but with a sing weight that is 1.43 ounces heavier (8.4 oz.). Why did Hardy change this rod's formula? In addition, do you think that George might have been under a little pressure to find a new winner when he gave the Loomis an extra .5 of a point in the 25' category and an additional full point in the 45' (20.5 & 21 out of 20). Hardy and the others were scored out of 20, Loomis.. out of 21! I my mind they tied. You might have guessed, I am a Hardy fan since I bought that first Zenith.:D Just my thoughts.

BigJim2x

Reaction score
southern Minnesota just left of the Driftless
Perhaps more telling is that the top 5 rods were within a small margin. There is a slight disconnect to the remaining 3 rods, which again are within a small margin of themselves.

Does that mean that we have the elite of the elite ;) and then simply elite out of all the rod brands and models in the fly fishing industry?

Jim

troutchaser8

Reaction score
The Helios 2 and Boron III-SX should be higher. I had a heck of a time deciding between those 2 rods! I guess they have a special feel they are looking for in a rod. Everyone has their own preference, I guess. (eventhough some know better than others!):D

Last edited:

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I've decided to store Andersons 'test' out in the barn lot. I'd much rather just ask folks HERE... what YOU think of a rod I might be considering. In defense of 'the ONE'....if it was that GOOD before,,how did it drop so far NOW ?

Mind games and tackle sales.

He always says he wishes Orvis would send more rods...well,,maybe Orvis just doesn't need his opinion. :rolleyes: (granted I'm an loyal Orvis person so I'm slanted,,,but I'll admit it..I've just never seen any 'bad' Orvis rods.)

Call me big time skeptical but I glanced at the test and deleted the email.

runningfish

Reaction score
If my Zenith and Helios aren't winning it, then I won't read it!

I knew about the Anderson's shootouts but didn't really care much about it when I was buying my rods. What I have is the best for me. LOL!!!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I have read the 2013 shootout and compared the spec.for the Hardy Zenith with that of the 2011 shootout. Hardy produced a new rod this year that was a 0.5 ounce lighter (3.0 oz.) but with a sing weight that is 1.43 ounces heavier (8.4 oz.). Why did Hardy change this rod's formula? In addition, do you think that George might have been under a little pressure to find a new winner when he gave the Loomis an extra .5 of a point in the 25' category and an additional full point in the 45' (20.5 & 21 out of 20). Hardy and the others were scored out of 20, Loomis.. out of 21! I my mind they tied. You might have guessed, I am a Hardy fan since I bought that first Zenith.:D Just my thoughts.
My Zenith 7wt and 8wt pcs weight the same on my cooking scale at 3.2oz. But the 7wt does feel lighter in hand. I can whip those 2 sticks silly for the whole day and don't feel anything the next day.

Have you tested the Proaxis? I am looking to get a 7wt Proaxis 4pcs and wondering how it differs to the Zenith 7wt 4pcs.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Anderson does not care for Proaxis...but I do, they are great rods. As per above, ONE did not decline, Anderson never like the ONE in trout rod sizes. You must understand his preference, not unique to him, is for a high line speed rod with a soft tip. He dug Z-Axis not ONE. By the way, if our beloved Zenith did not retain 1st place (by a hair), its OK, we can still love it. To the Orvis point, I have cast both H2#5's, tip and mid-flex, and improved though they are, they are still mid pack players up from low-end finishers compared to some others here. But it is OK to love them anyway. I have not cast the winning softer NRX but I am addicted to my hard-core original NRX #4 which was paned in the 4-weight shootout.

The shootouts are fabulous comparative performance data resources not intended to be affirmations of what an individual angler subjectively likes for his personal fishing.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Still,,, Orvis Helois rods,,they came in five spots higher than the revered ONE. It's at 10th this year ,,yet didn't drop ? Maybe I read last years test wrong. I'll recheck.

I wish ,,,for grins and giggles,,someone would do a test with rods most people fish with..and include mid-flex and full flex rods.

Then it could be more about fish-ability and less about,,,whatever..

Last edited:

shimloom

Reaction score
It's funny how sensitive we get about "our" rods when these tests come back. I'm kinda a 'Loomis junkie and so I liked it that they came out on top. However I have added a Zenith and a Streamflex XF2 this year and love them all. I say enjoy what you have and let the marketing types write what they will.

Craig

dpreller

Reaction score
im with shimloom. i love my scott g2s anderson never really cares for them but i enjoy the hell out of fishing them and they sure seem to work for me. what anyine else likes doesnt concern me especially since he fishes two thirds of the way across the country in very different conditions than me.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
do you think that George might have been under a little pressure to find a new winner when he gave the Loomis an extra .5 of a point in the 25' category and an additional full point in the 45' (20.5 & 21 out of 20). Hardy and the others were scored out of 20, Loomis.. out of 21! I my mind they tied. You might have guessed, I am a Hardy fan since I bought that first Zenith.:D Just my thoughts.
I find there is an especially obvious "thumb on the scale" in the supposedly quantitative rankings this year. For example, if you eliminate the entirely subjective "fun to fish" and "perfect 5 weight" rankings, and drop the Loomis NRX ratings down to the objective maximum score of 20 where they have been scored with gratuitous extra points, the Orvis H2 tip flex actually edges ahead of the NRX.

Nevertheless, there is a lot of usefulness in the qualitative comments. Where the review notes that the NRX is better than the Zenith at shorter distances, I find that credible. I test cast the Orvis H2 8' 5" mid flex (a rod excluded from the shootout) against the Zenith at a show this past winter, and I found them equivalent in quality but with different strengths: the Zenith could fling out a long cast accurately and effortlessly but lost some sensitivity and control close in, while the H2 was sheer bliss at short and medium distances but no match for the Zenith for longer casts. Anderson's commentary does compare these kinds of differences among the various models, and I think those observations are probably more helpful than the absolute rankings.

runningfish

Reaction score
I find there is an especially obvious "thumb on the scale" in the supposedly quantitative rankings this year. For example, if you eliminate the entirely subjective "fun to fish" and "perfect 5 weight" rankings, and drop the Loomis NRX ratings down to the objective maximum score of 20 where they have been scored with gratuitous extra points, the Orvis H2 tip flex actually edges ahead of the NRX.

Nevertheless, there is a lot of usefulness in the qualitative comments. Where the review notes that the NRX is better than the Zenith at shorter distances, I find that credible. I test cast the Orvis H2 8' 5" mid flex (a rod excluded from the shootout) against the Zenith at a show this past winter, and I found them equivalent in quality but with different strengths: the Zenith could fling out a long cast accurately and effortlessly but lost some sensitivity and control close in, while the H2 was sheer bliss at short and medium distances but no match for the Zenith for longer casts. Anderson's commentary does compare these kinds of differences among the various models, and I think those observations are probably more helpful than the absolute rankings.
I agree with Monseur on his opinion about the Helios and Zenith. Prior to purchasing my Zeniths, I tested the Helios as well and shorter distance the Helios have more control. But I choose Zenith since I fish from the shore casting into deep windy reservoirs and lakes.

I really disagree with the extra points system. Why did you set the 20 max points when you can go over it, that is just pure BS in my opinion.

petee

Reaction score
Until they ruin a bunch of beautiful rods by painting them black, for any testing other than appearance, I don't see how they can't be bias. I know I am a bit bias toward my favorite brand of anything no matter how hard I try to be unbias. Example: Browning firearms are my favorite. I see that buck logo on a gun and its all over.

When it comes down to a slight margin to decide the victor, any wee bit of bias can affect the results.

Just my $.02,
Pete

plecain

Reaction score
Some have asked what happened to the Sage ONE.

I read the comments in the shootout. The one that jumped out at me was the comment that said the ONE needs a heavier line, like maybe a 6 wt.

That's exactly what I found. I have a 4 wt ONE (486), not a 5. With a 4 wt line, it's not good. With a 5.5 wt line (GPX), it's worlds better.

When I measured the ERN of the rod, it came out to 5.56. No wonder the 5.5 weight line worked better.

beninfl

Reaction score
First, I'd like to take the time to commend George on his test. He really does a great job of breaking down the rods available in the market.

Second, the deeper I get into the sport of fly fishing, the less I care about the 9' 5wt, as I'd rather carry two rods that are more specialized.

Now for the criticism:

1. Categories aren't consistent year after year - no "nymphing" category, swing weight now worth 20 pts, etc.
2. Are the categories out of 20 pts? What's the deal with more than 20 for some rods...
3. More on swing weight - as a golfer, one swing weight change is the weight of a dollar bill on the end of your club. If you want a lighter swing weight, you can easily adjust this by taping lead to the back of your reel, etc.

This obviously takes his buddy Tom Morgan out of the spotlight (not that it was for most people anyway).

I'm looking forward to casting the new Loomis and seeing how it compares to my Zenith :)

Also, it looks like Yellowstoneangler.com was hacked earlier today - haha.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Having read the Shootout in its entirety now, I still find its comparative data valuable but I have issues. From #12 (TFO BVK) north, OK, but the rankings below that get a lot of disrespect. I am certain from what George writes that many rods are submitted that "don't make the cut"...and they go un-mentioned. However, rods that did make the "cut" but are described in derogatory terms might just ass well not have been included too. As you all know, I am fine with constructive criticism especially on a comparative basis and this has been the cornerstone of my support for these shootouts. It is not cool though to employ derogatory terms to denigrate the creative work of rod makers (or anyone) in public print. Visit the thread in this forum about Clutch rods for my specific observation.

I own rods from no fewer than ten of the makers featured in this Shootout. Not necessarily 5-weights of course and many I utilize in specialized ways. On a personal, subjective note, and I have written about this before, I differ from Anderson's and many others view that a "dry fly" rod best feature a softer, deeper flexing tip. As my style of fishing involves elaborate in air mends, wiggles and reaching, I prefer a crisper, quick recovering tip with a lively feel. So I travel to the river with both 9'/#5 Zenith and Sage ONE...two light weight responsive and communicative rods that, depending on conditions, assist me in executing the type of presentations I enjoy.

Not having cast the G.Loomis NRX LP (though I will), I am willing to bet that I would prefer my existing NRX original 9'/#4 over it. Similarly, as visible in the flex charts, rods like Circa and Tom Morgan Special (gorgeous though it may be and with no disrespect intended) would be too low flexing for my presentation style...my personal "filter" on these tests. My West Coast fishing partner just won the 8'9"/#4 Circa in a Portland, OR casting contest so we will have one in camp this Summer to experiment with but at Somerset I pond cast one and was non-plused. Similarly, I suspect I might prefer the Zenith (which I love) over the somewhat similar but lower tech Loop also for too soft a tip. Even with crisp tipped ONE, I never pop even 6X tippet on the strike so a more delicate shock absorbent tip simply sponges up response time and communication feel for me. And the number of 25 foot casts I make with a 9'/#5 are very few indeed, I would be using a different rod for such a circumstance.

There are many great new rods in this Shootout and much data and observations to ponder. I agree that "off the charts" 20.5 points is a bit "off the charts" and price, warranty and perfect 5-weight (even odder as the rods are tested primarily with a 5.5 weight GPX, a poor dry fly, blunt design) are irrelevant scoring points though useful information to otherwise include. Mostly I would prefer to not read that brand X is a "rugbeater', "Mistake" and should best be sold at "Wall Mart".

itchmesir

Reaction score
Until they ruin a bunch of beautiful rods by painting them black, for any testing other than appearance, I don't see how they can't be bias. I know I am a bit bias toward my favorite brand of anything no matter how hard I try to be unbias. Example: Browning firearms are my favorite. I see that buck logo on a gun and its all over.

When it comes down to a slight margin to decide the victor, any wee bit of bias can affect the results.

Just my $.02,
Pete
I'd definitely take these shootouts more seriously if this was the case... It's pretty tough to know what you're holding and not be biased one way or another... after all.. we're fly fishermen... We're all heavily opinionated and if you love St. Croix, Orvis, G.Loomis, Sage, Redington, TFO or any other rod maker out there... It's gonna be tough for anyone to convince us otherwise

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
This shootout seems to lack the polish of the those in the past, it contains enough typos to have been written by me.:p
Other than that and the lack of tact in lampooning a few rod makers for their submissions, by calling them out publicly for “daring to compare” their premium offerings to one’s Anderson’s crew admires. This does nothing more than affirm that there is a strong human element involved in all of this and the findings of these test are not the product of a calibrated instrument.
This helps to remind me that these are their opinions, based on their likes and dislikes, the lines and leaders chosen to test with and most importantly, what they “ think” a nine foot five weight rod should be and do. All of which has little to do with many of the things that I commonly ask of a nine foot five weight rod.

I do appreciate the reintroduction of the flex profile boards, these carry more weight with me than most of the written descriptions and comparisons conveyed by the article.

All in all, having read several of these reviews, ( that’s what they really are ). I’ve come to understand “Anderson speak”, having learned his preferences and how they differ from my own. This allows me to filter through their findings and to put into perspective how those finding conflict or coincide with my own. Using this process, I’ve found that more times than not, I agree with what they’ve found. Whether or not it has anything to do with my tastes & applications is another thing. So when they seemingly are harsh on a given rod that you may like, remember, they may not have been looking for those same characteristic in a 9’ 5wt.

For instance. If you were selecting a 9’ 5 weight rod for fishing from a low slung craft such as a float tube on Stillwater’s. Say for a moment that distance was a premium and you’re likely to use 6’ to 7 ½ foot leader. Casting and stripping flies like small leaches, damsel and dragon nymphs mostly. Maybe accuracy wasn’t always paramount. It would be nice if that rod could roll a section of full sinking line up and out of the water a couple of hundred times a day, without collapsing under the load or requiring a greater range in motion or with greater energy than absolutely necessary.

Vs.

A wading, shore bound or standing drift boat angler, who is according to the tests, using a 12 foot leader and who through their constant references, is very concerned with how the rod will deliver a dry fly, at all ranges. The line will be Weight Forward Floating line.

While life isn't usually an either - or proposition, each application has its own needs and it’s own merits. The angler in the first scenario is no less a trout angler, no less serious about their pursuit as the latter. But the rods they employ could be deeply at odds in design.
So if your favorite rod didn’t make the shoot out or made the list ( congratulations on that….many fine rods didn’t ) but didn’t make the top ten. Don’t dismay, the designers might have envisioned some other applications or a wider range of applications for that model, that were not being tested for in this review.

Let’s also keep in mind that in each case, the shootout is referring to one specific model ( 9’ - 5 wt. ) in a product line and not the entire line of those rods. Anderson has made that point himself in past shootouts. Just because the findings on one particular model in a product line may not be flattering, does not mean that the 9’ - 4 wt. or 9’ - 8 wt. rod of the same product line wouldn’t be a winner in their view. It’s happened in their reviews before.

Enjoy your rods guys and gals, TT