New #5 rod - recomendations?

zelly

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum!

I'm about to buy my second fly rod, and want to step up and buy a more premium rod this time. I don't got the technic 100% yet, so I need a rod that is easy to cast with that allows some "mistakes."

- Small streams to medium rivers
- High mountain waters with no streams
- Trout and arctic char

Can you help me choose? I'm not looking for budget models as I will try to find some place with sales or maybe a nice used one. Prize is not so very important as I could have this rod for many years. I don't know alot of the technical stuff but I need a rod that is effortless to cast and can cast "far enough"

I've heard good things about the Guideline fario and zpey dreamcatcher. Any others brands like sage, hardy, orvis, scott, sage etc that could be something for me?

Thanks!

williamhj

Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forum. You'll likely get a lot of different answers to your question. Each of us has different rods which we like and many of us have not tried all that many brands / models of rods. Add to this that two guys will try the same two rods on the same water and same day, and choose differently. You quickly realize it is hard to give a clear cut answer. Check out this previous thread which links to the 5wt shootout that Yellowstone Angler did a couple years ago as well as the resulting discussion.

If budget isn't a big issue for you, see if you can get into some fly shops and handle different rods, talk to the people there to get advice, try to cast them, etc etc. If you have a price limit that will narrow down the options and focus the advice you get here. If you have a rod you really like, what is it? Do you want something similar or different? Knowing what you like will also help focus the advice.

All that said, I'm sure you'll get some good advice here. There are some people who know a lot about a lot of different rods.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Currently Orvis has 20% off their outfits.. ie: rod, reel, line... I'd look at something over there first... I'd check the Access outfits myself if I had money to spend

zelly

Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forum. You'll likely get a lot of different answers to your question. Each of us has different rods which we like and many of us have not tried all that many brands / models of rods. Add to this that two guys will try the same two rods on the same water and same day, and choose differently. You quickly realize it is hard to give a clear cut answer. Check out this previous thread which links to the 5wt shootout that Yellowstone Angler did a couple years ago as well as the resulting discussion.

If budget isn't a big issue for you, see if you can get into some fly shops and handle different rods, talk to the people there to get advice, try to cast them, etc etc. If you have a price limit that will narrow down the options and focus the advice you get here. If you have a rod you really like, what is it? Do you want something similar or different? Knowing what you like will also help focus the advice.

All that said, I'm sure you'll get some good advice here. There are some people who know a lot about a lot of different rods.
Thanks for your reply! The rod I have is a norwegian one, Vangen superior 601 I think it is called. I don't really like it anymore, I don't get a good feeling even when I cast good casts. So I don't really know if the problem is the line or what, or if I want something similar or different, but I just want something better :D I'll just have to wait for some more replies and maybe from someone who has been in the same boat as me and see what they ended up with. Prize isn't really an issue but I always like ending up with a good buy. Also I heard some of the brands provide warranty so if I break a rod by mistake I only have to pay a small amount and then get it covered. This would be nice!

Currently Orvis has 20% off their outfits.. ie: rod, reel, line... I'd look at something over there first... I'd check the Access outfits myself if I had money to spend
I will probably end up with tax and custom charges etc if buying outside of Norway, but will check it out!

itchmesir

Reaction score
I will probably end up with tax and custom charges etc if buying outside of Norway, but will check it out!
I'd take it into account if you can't find anything on your side of the pond... It's a savings of $100++ depending on which outfit you go with.. doubt taxes and customs would cost that much.. but then again I don't know because that's never been an issue for me being in the states

zelly

Reaction score
Do you know about the Yellowstone Angler 5 weight shootout? Any of the top-scoring rods on their list would be good choices. Read the review comments to get a sense of the differences among the different models, rather than just relying on the scores alone.

2013 5 weight shootout - Yellowstone Angler
Nice one, thanks!

I've been looking around for some good offers here in Norway and I found this.

- Orvis clearwater II 865-4 TIP FLEX on 20%. Looks like it is a beginners rod, would it be okay for me anyway if im over that stage?
- Hardy demon 9 foot #5 (looks like it is on -40% ive mailed the store and asked)
- Scott a2 and a3 in 9" #5. Looks like a3 is the most expensive of them, but they cost the same as the a3 is on sale atleast.

I also found loop opti stream #5 in one store, but it is twice as much as the scotts and the hardy (if it is on sale). What do you guys think of these rods i've listed?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Zelly.

An issue with the brands that you have listed (Guideline, Zpey) is that they have limited or no distribution here in the North America. Many of the readers have not heard of these brands.

In North America, Sage, Scott, Winston, Hardy, Orvis, and G Loomis are the most mentioned brands for premium rods. TFO and Redington are known for quality price pointed rods.

The guys have already mentioned the "shootout," so I'll end this post here.

Dennis

zelly

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Zelly.

An issue with the brands that you have listed (Guideline, Zpey) is that they have limited or no distribution here in the North America. Many of the readers have not heard of these brands.

In North America, Sage, Scott, Winston, Hardy, Orvis, and G Loomis are the most mentioned brands for premium rods. TFO and Redington are known for quality price pointed rods.

The guys have already mentioned the "shootout," so I'll end this post here.

Dennis
Yea it was a good test and I'm thinking about the loop opti stream.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Loop is getting better market share in the USA. A few years ago, the distribution was limited to a few regional shops. Since then, Loop has gained more dealers. I cannot say much about the Opti Stream series other than I wiggled a one at a show. As for quality of build, it looks like Loop uses quality components and its rods are finished nicely.

Dennis

mikel

Reaction score
Is Scierra a brand available to you? I won a Scierra rod years ago in a fly club raffle and was very pleased with it. I have no knowledge of current models, but maybe they are worth checking.

zelly

Reaction score
Is Scierra a brand available to you? I won a Scierra rod years ago in a fly club raffle and was very pleased with it. I have no knowledge of current models, but maybe they are worth checking.
Yea theres a ton of them and they are always on sale as they are not so popular here. It's a brand that most people here just ignore, don't know if they are that bad or if there just are better options

russellb

Reaction score
I'm partial to Sage but I have had great experience with several Loop products from rods to reels. My friend fishes a custom built Loop Yellow series 8' -, 3wt. that casts like a dream. I have fished a few Loop reels over the years and even today, my Sage 7wt is fitted with a Loop 3W for large trout.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Nice one, thanks!

I've been looking around for some good offers here in Norway and I found this.

- Orvis clearwater II 865-4 TIP FLEX on 20%. Looks like it is a beginners rod, would it be okay for me anyway if im over that stage?
- Hardy demon 9 foot #5 (looks like it is on -40% ive mailed the store and asked)
- Scott a2 and a3 in 9" #5. Looks like a3 is the most expensive of them, but they cost the same as the a3 is on sale atleast.

I also found loop opti stream #5 in one store, but it is twice as much as the scotts and the hardy (if it is on sale). What do you guys think of these rods i've listed?
The Clearwater is a nice rod at an inexpensive price point, and isn't the kind of "beginner's rod" that you would outgrow as your skills mature. However, it is no match for the top rods on the Yellowstone list. Also, the "tip flex" is somewhat specialized and stiffer than most people prefer for all-around use.

I don't have any experience with the Demon or the Scott models, but Scott has many fans. Hardy rods were not promoted and distributed very widely in the US before the introduction of the Zenith/ProAxis/Sintrix series, which have received most of the recent attention, so you might find more opinions about the Demon in a European discussion forum.

zelly

Reaction score
The Clearwater is a nice rod at an inexpensive price point, and isn't the kind of "beginner's rod" that you would outgrow as your skills mature. However, it is no match for the top rods on the Yellowstone list. Also, the "tip flex" is somewhat specialized and stiffer than most people prefer for all-around use.

I don't have any experience with the Demon or the Scott models, but Scott has many fans. Hardy rods were not promoted and distributed very widely in the US before the introduction of the Zenith/ProAxis/Sintrix series, which have received most of the recent attention, so you might find more opinions about the Demon in a European discussion forum.
I maybe can get the hardy zenith #4 used for a good price. Looks insane in the tests etc, but could I use it?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I maybe can get the hardy zenith #4 used for a good price. Looks insane in the tests etc, but could I use it?
I don't see why not. A good 5 weight would give you just a little more distance and just a little more control in windy conditions, but the 4 would give you more finesse closer in.

Which Zenith 4 do you mean? The Zenith 8' 6" 4 weight won the top score in the Yellowstone 4 weight shootout. They liked it better than the Zenith 9' 4 weight.

2012 Four Weight Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

dean_mt

Reaction score
This may not help you but I'm in love with my "new" Sage XP 5 wt. Found the blank on ebay and built it up ... I've been fishing a "medium" action Sage 4 wt for a lot of years and still will, but I'm seriously digging this fast rod.

Search the ebay and such, and consider a something lighter than a 5 wt, since you said you're looking for a small stream rod. A good 4 wt is still in my opinion the best overall rod, especially if you are fishing smaller water. Sage ZXL in even a 3 wt? Super sweet rod!

zelly

Reaction score
I don't see why not. A good 5 weight would give you just a little more distance and just a little more control in windy conditions, but the 4 would give you more finesse closer in.

Which Zenith 4 do you mean? The Zenith 8' 6" 4 weight won the top score in the Yellowstone 4 weight shootout. They liked it better than the Zenith 9' 4 weight.

2012 Four Weight Shootout - Yellowstone Angler
hm, looks like it only is the 8 feet. Guessing that is a bad thing?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
hm, looks like it only is the 8 feet. Guessing that is a bad thing?
Not necessarily bad, but it would be more of a small-stream and spring-creek/chalkstream rod. If your ideal rod ia a 9' #5, it's getting a little farther away from what you first had in mind.