Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My new baby

Default My new baby

...is a mint, never fished, 1992 Orvis Small Stream Special (7', 5 wt) that I bought on eBay last week and was delivered today. It has a unique taper that is great for roll casting and shooting tight loops under overhanging branches. I have been looking for one for a long time but they don't come available very often. I guess the folks who have them don't want to let them go.

Blog Entries

Default Re: My new baby

Nice find! What reel do you plan on putting on it? Do you think that you could find a matching CFO from that era?

Dennis

3. Likes imxer liked this post
    Blog Entries

great find, pics please!

ARFE

Blog Entries

Wow! How the heck did you luck into that nice find?
    Larry

I do have an older CFO III but right now it's got a WF4 on it. I will either pair it with that or with something black to match the black-anodized reel seat. (For the moment I've got a black Battenkill BBS3 that can do the job, but the rod deserves something of the same vintiage.)

How about a nice Young Beaudex, in black? Check them out on ebay. Also a Pridex or Condex would probably look good, too.

Pocono

8. Likes moucheur2003 liked this post

I don't have pics but the eBay listing is still up, and it has a bunch of them. (Including one misplaced shot of a butt cap from another rod, Ignore that one.)

Here's the listing: Orvis Vintage Scroll down past the current listings at the top of the page and you'll see the Small Stream Special.

According to the listing, the guy bought it in 1992 and stuck it in his storage room and can't remember ever using it it. He shipped it to me in not only the original aluminum tube, but even the original plastic sleeve that protected the aluminum tube.

If you search for an item on eBay, there is a function where you can save your search and it will send you an email notice when a new one is listed. That's how I found it. It's a great way to keep an eye out for things that don't come on the market very often, but you wouldn't want to search for, say, "WF5F fly line" or "Nikon Coolpix digital camera" that way or your mailbox would get flooded.

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    How about a nice Young Beaudex, in black? Check them out on ebay. Also a Pridex or Condex would probably look good, too.

Pocono
    The Youngs tend to run to the heavy side. Besides, I think most of them had been discontinued by the early 1990's. I've got a nice one paired up with my '60's vintage Shakespeare Wonderod, though.

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    I've got a nice one paired up with my '60's vintage Shakespeare Wonderod, though.
    So do I. My gray Beaudex is on one of Sharkespeare's Purist 5 wt. models; white blank, gray and black wraps; nice weight and look combination.

Pocono

11. Likes moucheur2003, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm all for the CFO III unless you can tap a CFO II from the Hardy years. I want another of the #II even though I don't have a rod for one.

Sounds like a great rod,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I'm all for the CFO III unless you can tap a CFO II from the Hardy years. I want another of the #II even though I don't have a rod for one.

Sounds like a great rod,

Ard
    I don't have a CFO II, but I do have a CFO 123 from around the same time as the rod, currently loaded with DT3. I think the III is the best size CFO for a 5 weight line and this rod's grip and uplocking reel seat. I've also got a Hardy Featherweight (too small) and LRH Lightweight (too big).