Best Streamer Rod Under $300

dusty h

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need some opinions on the best streamer rod for under $300. I know that most people will say that I need to spend a little more $$$ and get a better quality rod. Normally I would agree but I need this rod quick and that is my max budget in order to accommodate setting the whole rig up (rod, reel, line) I know its not going to be the lightest or best rod for that price but it just needs to perform for what it is going to be which is a most likely a dedicated streamer rod with sink tip line and maybe an extra spool with full sink for lake fishing. So if you have any opinions or suggesting (please add line weight and length) please let me know.

jessezm

Reaction score
Used Sage RPL/RPL+ series on Ebay? $150-$250 all day long and a fantastic rod for streamers and casts great as well. I have a 9.5 ft 5wt RPL+ and love it. Just my opinion!

fly505

Reaction score
I've got an echo edge saltwater that I absolutely love...$250. Another rod that I was looking at that supposedly is near bulletproof and can launch some serious line is the Echo ion in either 7-9 wts 9ft...from what I've read they have great smooth power to launch big flies and strong backbone for fighting and landing big fish, a true workhorse rod....all at $189...great company too!

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Get a used Orvis Hydros Tip Flex or a Sage Z-Axis. Better than anything new on the market for $300.

But if you do want to buy new, I think the Temple Fork BVK is a pretty good one. I would also suggest looking at the Greys XF2 Streamflex. (I haven't cast one of those, but I own a 9' 6 wt X-Flite that is a pleasure to cast, and the XF2 is its successor.)

Last edited:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need some opinions on the best streamer rod for under $300. I know that most people will say that I need to spend a little more $$$ and get a better quality rod. Normally I would agree but I need this rod quick and that is my max budget in order to accommodate setting the whole rig up (rod, reel, line)
Wait a minute, is $300 your budget for the rod only, or the whole outfit?

stripers

Reaction score
X 2 on an ion or edge, I own a few echo rods and love them they are good good quality and very durable plus lifetime warranties.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Get a used Orvis Hydros Tip Flex or a Sage Z-Axis. Better than anything new on the market for $300.

But if you do want to buy new, I think the Temple Fork BVK is a pretty good one. I would also suggest looking at the Greys XF2 Streamflex. (I haven't cast one of those, but I own a 9' 6 wt X-Flite that is a pleasure to cast, and the XF2 is its successor.)
I like my 5 wt XP or my 7 wt. BVK for the bigger stuff. The 590 Z Axis is great, I just personally prefer the slightly stiffer XP for streamers. You can find one cheaper than a z too. I paid 325 for my z used, and most. I've seen to for about $400

dusty h

Reaction score
Well I am probably buying either today or tomorrow so any last opinions let me know. I was very firm in the $300 limit but I almost fell to the temptation of the st. Croix bank robber but I really can't justify $400 bucks. The more I look into things I am leaning towards the Echo Ion 6 weight. Really I have heard nothing but good things with the only draw back being its a little on the heavy side but that is expected for something in that price point. I don't see anything else that will give me that type of value unless I start jumping up about another $150. Who know though, I seem to change my mind about ever five minutes until I actually pull the trigger.

On a side note for anyone with experience with the ion what would you suggest for length? I am deffinitely going with the 6 weight but I am not sure on the 9' or 10'. I assume I will be using this rod mostly tossing streamers on the river but i also occasionally take my pontoon float up to Strawberry and throw a full sink line for those cutties. Do you think the extra length is worth it or counter productive for rivers like the Green, Provo and Truckee?

Reaction score
My brother has a sage VXP 6 weight, 9'6". Great streamer rod and nymph rod. I like the extra length, so I would recommend a longer ( 10 foot ) rod. The added length feels like it does help with throwing those heavy flies and line. Plus if you are fishing the Truckee alot, I would definitely prefer a longer rod just because of the technical situations you can get yourself into on that river.

Reaction score
I love streamer fishing and used a few different rods, depending on the species I'm after, the size of streamer and the location I'm fishing. I fish a lot of smaller rivers where we have to stop the boat to drag it over a gravel bar or around a blown down tree and just can't get comfortable taking some of my sticks on those trips. I recently picked up an Echo Ion 7wt and I really like it. I also enjoy fishing my Redington CPX rods.

dusty h

Reaction score
Decided to go with the echo ion 9' 6 wt. and set it up with a rio sink tip. Once i get it out on the water I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

stripers

Reaction score
Great choice it's a durable beastly type of rod, love my 8wt just got it too.
Ill end up with 6wt and a 9wt ion at some point.

glcaddis

Reaction score
The Beulah Classic SH guide series is priced at $290 and you get a lot of rod for the buck. It comes standard with two tips and is available in all the trout line weights. I have a 3 wt and a 9' 8 wt. The 8 is what I use for big streamers and large night flies. It is a joy to cast and fun to catch fish on. The Beulah line of single hand rods is an overlooked source of quality rods for under $300.