Sage XP, Z-Axis or One 990

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I'm specifically looking at folks who fish these rods. I am looking at buying a 9 weight for Kings to fish the Great Lakes. I fish an 890 XP as well as a 8100 Loomis Native Run GLX. I've caught my share of Kings with both of these rods and truth be told, I could get away with them 70% of the time. But the other 30% of the time, especially with that Loomis, I think the 8 weight is going to blow apart. I have resigned the Loomis completely from the equation for the most part unless I'm high stick nymphing eggs in a big river with a ton of room to let the fish run. Even then, in fast water, turning a fish out can be a challenge. I need more back bone. Enter the 9 weight discussion.

So I'm looking at XP and Z-Axis, both of which I have significant experience across multiple line weights. I can pick these up used at a nice discount and if I break it, I'll pay to get it fixed and still be cheaper than a Sage One. However, the Sage One is purported to be exceptionally light and more importantly have a lighter swing weight - that holds value to me. I'm not worried about the test cast, I'm sure I can pound it out and fish close enough with it and I'm sure I'll like the feel (and I will of course cast one should I decide to go that direction). However, who fishes with one, who uses it for big fish, who can dig a King or whatever else you choose out of the current or from under the boat and get it done with these three rods?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Mike.

winxp_man

Reaction score
I have had the chance to cast a XP, Z-Axis and the One. The I would say get a XP in 10wt and if you really want to spend if you cant find a used rod then you will not be disappointed with the Sage One 10wt rod. I run spey stuff now but still have my Sage Flight 10wt for single hand salmon fishing.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Thanks. I really don't want to blind cast a 10 wt all day. I'm looking specifically for experiences related to the 9 weights.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I won't comment on the One since I have not cast it. For Kings, I would not fish an XP or a Z-Axis. I would rather have a rod that has more butt to it like a rod designed for saltwater.

In the Sage line up, I would consider an Xi3. You could lean into the rod a bit more to leverage the fish.

Dennis

winxp_man

Reaction score
Dennis I actually run the sage flight 10wt and its super awesome rod for salmon. I have not had any need to try the Xi series for salmon, but you can't go wrong with one.

@ chi there is not that much weight difference in weight to say I would rather carry a 9wt rod. You might want to go to a local fly shop and grab some rods and you might see what I'm talking about. Most sage rods are super light as it is.

bwf

Reaction score
990-4 and 996-4 XP ..... are nice casting and great for a big salmon rod. Also consider the 990-4 TCR, but not great for short casting distances.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Sorry did not answer the whole question. I know little about the 'one' rod. I found the Xp's in lines 6 and up to better casting and felt a little stronger (IMHO). The Z-Axis felt softer in lines 6 and up...it had that winston B2X feel. I like feeling the tip of my rod launching line as oppossed to that deep bend in the lower section in higher weights. It is also my casting style, and everyone is different and that is why there are so many good choices out there.

von behr

Reaction score
I have a Z-Axis in 8-wt, and it performs really well. I use it for surf fishing with sinking lines and for largemouth bass. However, it does have a fairly soft, forgiving feel to it. That's why my 9-wt is an Xi3. It is a totally different rod than the Z-Axis and is made to put the wood to big fish. Since it sounds like that's what you're striving for, check out the Xi3. It is very stout and will likely meet your needs.

-VB