Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Glass rods...I don't get it

I used 2 rods today that I had never tried out before

The first was a Heddon Vicount 8', 7wt. It was "usable" but no one would ever mistake this as a great rod.
    Cast easily to about 50' with a bit of tip wobble. With a couple of more guides it would be far more enjoyable.

The second was a Phillipson Royal Wand 7', 6wt. Wow !
    Certainly not a distance rod, but sooooo smoooth. A pleasure to cast.
    Anyone that doesn't "get it" would when using this rod.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I guess I was asking "what's the advantage in real world fishing situations"?
    Or is it about nostalgia,more challenge or what ?I'm not knocking glass just wondering if it's like traditional archery. I'm still messing with the Cortland Glass and an Orvis fullflex. If it's only about slowing down and feel,I think graphite can do that too.
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

Blog Entries

advantages many glass throwers feel they get:

accuracy
    delicate presentation
    superior feel
    leisurely casting stroke
    aesthetic superiority
    other?

Either you buy in or you don't. There have been over 20 responses. If it isn't answered now, it isn't likely to get answered.

4. Default Re: Glass rods...I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    i too like glass because of the unique feel not found in graphite sticks.
    my newly acquired cgr has become one of my favs to fish lately.

casey
    I have the 3/4 6'6" and the 7/8 in that, but remember, those are not 100% glass. I LOVE the feel of the mix. I also have the Hardy Test and a WW Griggs Vintage.
    I do have the E Glass in the Lami and the McFarland. I also have a netcraft and a T.L. Johnson that are also a mix.
    And I have the Far and Fine and the Superfine. Those are a different feel altogether. Plus Bamboo which is different yet.
    I do feel slow action rods are less forgiving and do teach you to cast more to the point. Once you master slow action, fast action is a piece of cake, but it doesn't work the other way around.

5. Likes caseywise, fly_guy12955, theboz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    I guess I was asking "what's the advantage in real world fishing situations"?
    Or is it about nostalgia,more challenge or what ?I'm not knocking glass just wondering if it's like traditional archery. I'm still messing with the Cortland Glass and an Orvis fullflex. If it's only about slowing down and feel,I think graphite can do that too.
    There are many reasons people fish with glass, I suppose. Here's mine:

I guess you'd call it nostalgia. This pic was in a 1977 issue of the old newsprint "Orvis News" and was taken just a few months after I finished building the rod. I've been fishing with that Orvis glass rod for nearly 4 decades now. It was an excellent bass rod back then, and it still is. It's a 9 weight, and I just put a new Teeny line on it and it does a great job of throwing large bass bugs.

It is a rather slow action. I took it out to a local pond a few days ago, and I'd previously been fishing a graphite rod for my last few outings. I'd forgotten just how slow the glass action was, but it came back to me. Make the backcast, check my watch, pull out my phone and check the stock market, text my broker, count to 12, then make the forward cast.

I've caught many fish on it over the years and I'm quite accustomed to its action. That rod is very personal to me, and I'm sure I'll always enjoy using it.
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

I do feel slow action rods are less forgiving and do teach you to cast more to the point. Once you master slow action, fast action is a piece of cake, but it doesn't work the other way around.
    That's why I get a chuckle about 'fast rods' being so technical. I think it's the other way around.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Some glass sticks just are to good to ignore! A few that come to mind are the big Fenwicks, Phillipsons, Lamis in any size and the old Wonder Rods.
    Also when fishing real deep in saltwater with sinking lines or lead core heads for hard pulling bottom fish I don't think there is a better material than glass to bring those beasts and heavy line up from the bottom! These are the times when an overresponsive rod or to stiff just won't cut the mustard!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

A shorter rod with a slower motion is easier to cast around obstacles in the wind, imho.

I think glass accomplishes that nicely.

mridenour Guest

I have my grandpa's fiberglass fly rod in on display in my bar...it is sixty or so years old. I am wondering if I should take it with me to Wyoming in a few weeks and catch a few fish on it? I haven't fished with it in thirty years. It is the rod I learned to fly fish on.

Wonder-Rod! Still love the meaning and what it brought into my life, have a half dozen or so of them. I don't ever fish them.

If I want nostalgia I may pick one up. The real pleasure is when I look at one and the memories come flowing in.

There are so many rods and our abilities as casters is so poor. Its a feel thing, its a pleasure thing, its a whatever the heck you want to do thing...We aint getting rich or benefiting ourselves financially by using glass...its all for fun. For pure pleasure of one sort or another.

Glass is Glass, Graphite is Graphite and so on.

Do I drive a 3/4 ton full size truck or the car today? Do I drink my beer out of a cold mug or one out of the cabinet. Do I use a shovel or a mini-excavator. These fiberglass tools are chosen out of pleasure not for a bigger better faster approach.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast