Picky rod question?

beekeeper

Reaction score
Finally taking the plunge to learn to fly fish. Bought a nice rod and reel combo from Cabelas. Rod is a Three Forks model. I noticed that the tip top loop is not perpendicular to the rod. No apparent damage but was just wondering if a little skew to it is bad?

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow what you saying, but if you're not happy with the new rod, take it back to Cabelas, they have an excellent return policy.

williamhj

Reaction score
What Larry said. They probably used a hot-melt glue to attach the tiptop and at some point during shipping it got hot enough to soften the glue allowing it to come out of alignment. You could try heating it a bit and see if it moves, then pick up a stick of tiptop adhesive and reattach it, or just take it back. The latter might be better since it is a new rod.

beekeeper

Reaction score
It's not that the shaft of the tip top isn't straight (in line with rod). It's that the loop isn't perpendicular (squared) to the rod. It's a bit skewed. I wish I knew how to easily post a picture. I'll just run by the store tomorrow and get their opinion.

PS-I edited the original message so it makes more sense. I was typing it while watching a TV program. Oops

williamhj

Reaction score
You mean the loop is lined up with the guides but doesn't come off the rod at a 90 degree angle? Some tiptops do angle forward but if you are worried bring it in.

beekeeper

Reaction score
I didn't realize how difficult this is to describe. It does angle forward some when looking at it from the side which I would expect. The skew is to the loop when looking at it from the top (that is, the top if its laying flat on the ground and you're looking down on it).

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Maybe a picture would help.

I once bought a marked down rod for my son that had a bent tip-top.
I simply wrapped a rag around the tip-top and bent it back into position with needle nose pliers.
An easy fix seeing as how I saved "X" amount of dollars on this rod.
Not saying you should do this, but it's not a big deal if you do.

If it's just angled to the side, you could heat it quickly with lighter and just twist it into the proper position.
The glue that they use is similar to hot glue and a little heat will take care of this easily

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Just my .02 cents. ALL the guides, including the tip-top should be in line on a fly rod. If not, out going line will 'hang up' for a lack of a better term. Just went out and looked at a dozen rigged rods and each and every 'tip top' was lined up (bend down) in line with the rest of the guides.

trout champ

Reaction score
Don't know if this got sorted out or not but if the tip top is not square then heat the glue up a little and just move it into place. The tip top should not look like a conventional rod and be flat, so to speak, it should be angled up.

What I think you are saying is the loop is not round? Maybe has a flat spot in it? If so I would take it back, Cabelas will replace it.

Randy