Winston has ruined me!!

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Last winter I built my first rod. It was a little 3wt Winston GVX. Yesterday me and my cousin went fishing and I was having a blast with the rod landing the trout. (Also first trout I have taken on the rod.) I just love how nicely it casts it casts so nicely I just cant even describe it.

Went out this morning to do a little bass fishing with my 5wt St Croix Triumph. Boy oh boy do I not like that rod anymore. I put it away and pulled out the Winston and went after the blue gills.

I cant afford to buy another winston and I dont have the tools or time left this summer to build one. Looks like their price has gone up about $70.

Anyone reccomend a 9' 5wt fly rod in the sub $300 range that might cast and feel remotely close to the Winston?
Not sure what I want to do yet. I either want to replace my 5wt or look into getting set up for steel head because its a 2 hour drive from where Im going to school to prime steelhead country.
Could $300 get me a rod/reel that will hold up to steelheading?

Thanks all!

mbchilton

Reaction score
There is no substitute. Hold out for what you really want. Rent or borrow if you need something right away.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Since you already have a 5wt, why not get yourself a rod for Steelhead so that you can fish for something different. After having fished the Winston, I'd bet if you spent a little more time with the St. Croix, two things would happen. You'd get used to it again and figure out how to make it work and you'd appreciate what you like in a fly rod that much more. I'm with mbchilton, hold out for what you want or you'll be disappointed in the long run.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dang, now you have gone and done it, you have me thinking about getting a Winston rod. I have never cast one, but maybe it is time to try one out. :D:D

jimp

Reaction score
I got to cast a Winston 5 wt at the FF school I took back in April, and it felt very good/nice/easy to cast from the get go. I've been wanting one as well but will have to wait till I get a bit better before I get one. Need to go by the shop and drool some on it, maybe they would give me a discount. :eek: .
GL in your acquisition.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Haha I wasnt to sure about the 3wt when I first bought it. Now that I have spent some time behind it I love it! Maybe its because its a 3 wt and maybe its because its only only 7'6" but too me and my casting style it just feels so much smoother and it is so easy for me to get my line out and right on target. When the rod loads and unloads its smooth and gentle. My 5 wt now feels like a wet noodle. The loading and unloading is noodley and wiggley and I feel like I have to work so hard to get my line out where the 3wt is effortless. I want to cast a 5wt GVX but not untill I can seriously afford one.

Maybe Ill just get one of them sexy Brodin Ghost Nets and keep fishing the 3wt, even in medium waters I fish. Im just worried about fishing it in bigger waters for fear of getting bigger fish. Ive been putting off getting a landing net but maybe its time.

Only thing that worries me about steel head on the fly is if I will be able to effectively cast. Not sure how much wading I can safely do so maybe it would be better if I just stuck to spinning reel and shore fishing.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha I wasnt to sure about the 3wt when I first bought it. Now that I have spent some time behind it I love it! Maybe its because its a 3 wt and maybe its because its only only 7'6" but too me and my casting style it just feels so much smoother and it is so easy for me to get my line out and right on target. When the rod loads and unloads its smooth and gentle. My 5 wt now feels like a wet noodle. The loading and unloading is noodley and wiggley and I feel like I have to work so hard to get my line out where the 3wt is effortless. I want to cast a 5wt GVX but not untill I can seriously afford one.

Maybe Ill just get one of them sexy Brodin Ghost Nets and keep fishing the 3wt, even in medium waters I fish. Im just worried about fishing it in bigger waters for fear of getting bigger fish. Ive been putting off getting a landing net but maybe its time.

Only thing that worries me about steel head on the fly is if I will be able to effectively cast. Not sure how much wading I can safely do so maybe it would be better if I just stuck to spinning reel and shore fishing.
LOL! The addiction continues, there is no known cure, it will only get worse! :D

glacierjohn

Reaction score
QUOTE]

From 1998 through last year I ran my Golden's in the PRTA retriever field trial held on Bill Totten's property about three miles upriver from Twin Bridges. We would haul our trailer down and camp on the Twin Bridges fairgrounds property right on the bank of the Beaverhead River. I was usually able to find a few hour break during the three day trial to head over to the Winston factory and google their wonderful green rods. My first year I was even able to visit with Glenn Bracken in his little shop down the road and around a corner, wonderful bamboo rods. Another time I showed up after hours when David Ondaatje and another guy were out on the casting lawn testing a new rod prototype. David was in a kneeling position to simulate wade fishing, the rod had taped on guides, no reel or reel seat, I can't remember how the handle was attached. It was fun visiting with them and seeing a little part of the process of designing and testing new rod ideas.

A few years ago my wife came with me, that day I wanted to try all of their short 3 weights. Being a medium-slow action guy I gravitated to three rods, the Boron, the new LT and the new WT which had just replaced the venerable IM6. All three were great but that 7'-6" 3 piece 3 wt. WT was just super accurate, I was able to place the little yarn/fly right on a leaf at 30 feet, a little green spot in the grass off to the right at 22', a piece of paper I placed out to the left at 35', I just couldn't miss with this rod. My wife surprised me by ordering one from the factory with my name on it. I love that rod! My wife too.

I use it wade fishing smaller water, a little 9" Brookie feels like a Steelhead on that rod and it is just so easy and fun to cast. I use my similar action Scott G904-4 for most everything else, but really look forward to those times when I get to pull the little Winston out.

John

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of quality gear. As you have learned, it is hard to go back to your old rod because your new rod has the better feel.

Here is what I would do in your situation. Since you have the five weight, I would persevere with what you have. Prioritize a steelhead rod since you do not have one. Start selling things that you feel that you don't need. Do a yard or garage sale or two or three. Sell stuff for friends and take a cut off of it. Try to get some extra shifts at work.

Then when it comes to saving up for a five weight, repeat the cycle.

Dennis

PS: I went through all this when after I bought my first Sage.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score

I've caught some pretty sizable trout on a 3 wt rod without stressing the trout, so depending on how big the trout are in the bigger water, that may not be of concern. My 3 wt. is a Sage XP though...

rangerrich99

Reaction score
(I apologize in advance, as this is probably going to sound like an infomercial or a testimony.)

It's funny you should say that. I had almost the exact same emotion this weekend. I have the 9 ft. 5 wt. GVX and a St. Croix Imperial 9 ft. 5 wt. The Imperial never made it out of the tube. The GVX is just so smooth compared to the Imperial, which is still one heck of a rod. And if I had wanted to do any sink tipping, I would have uncased it (the GVX doesn't like sinking line).

But for floating line, unless you have a need to bomb 80 ft. casts, the GVX is just a nicer rod to cast.

But the rod that really destroyed my common sense is the Winston Biiix (8 ft. 6 in. 4 wt.) Under 40 ft. it's accuracy is, well like a smart bomb. Pick a baseball size target and hit it nearly every time. Even with a 10-15 mph crosswind. Most of the time I don't even have to use any 'Kentucky windage.'

Another interesting characteristic I've learned just in the last two or three trips is that I don't even have to double haul, unless I'm casting farther than 40 ft. Even with that breeze. Just flick my wrist at the stop, and extra line speed achieved.

But all that aside, it just feels so right when casting, I'd probably fish it anyway, even if it didn't do all those neat tricks. And that's what it seems to always come back to when I let my buddies cast it. It just feels good, while the Imperial is a just a good stick.

So, now I'm planning on eventually upgrading all my sticks to Winstons. I should be done sometime in the next century.

Okay, enough praise-a-thon . . .

As for advice, I think Winston's MX series rod can be had at a discount (around $400?) if you look around. from all accounts it would probably make a good steelheader.

As for the 5 wt. GVX, I'd save up and wait for a good deal. That's what I did. It's hard on your patience, but it'll be worth it. And no, you can't have mine.

Peace.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

I guess I should also admit that I now have two Biiix 4 wts.

And I've gotten several offers on the 9 footer (I'm in a monogamous relationship with the 8 ft. 6 incher) and I JUST CAN'T GIVE THE DARN THING UP.

So, yes, I am ruined. Gone off the proverbial deep end, the Reservation, etc.

I might be turning into Gollum . . .

'One Rod to rule them all . . .'

flyfisher117

Reaction score
And no, you can't have mine.

'
Ill give you a cookie! ;)

Well I got bored so I went to the local fly shop. They already had a few rods set up so while I was there I asked if I could give them a try. Casted a 6wt GVX, 6wt Boron III, and some Sage of pretty equal quality. Yup im addicted. I can see where my St Croix might be better I feel like I could get a more delicate presentation with it (maybe the fast action just require more practice to get delicate landings) but as soon as I can I think Im going to have to upgrade. :rolleyes: I was getting great distance, Distance I cant get with my St Croix without Double hauling and that is darned near impossible for me.

Hopefully next summer I can get my engineering internship, it will double and a half what Im making now. Making a new rod a great possibility. :D

Still checking out steel head rods. Not sure If I will have enough $$$ to get one so maybe ill have to settle with getting a spinning rod set up for steelies.

fireroad

Reaction score
Have you considered selling your Imperial and getting a Winston Passport? It would be faster than a GVX, but the Passport get's really good reviews and can be picked up for around $225. The Passport might keep you happy enough to skip the GVX and save up for a BIIIX :D

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I dont have the imperial I have the Triumph. I dont think I could make enough off of it to make it worth selling.

fireroad

Reaction score
My mistake, I saw Triumph but read Imperial. I had a Triumph as well, it was my first rod and a gift from my then girlfriend (now wife). Good little starter rod but easy to out grow. When it does come time to upgrade it would probably be better to donate it to something like Project Healing Waters versus the $25-$50 you might get for it. Either way, go cast a Passport when you get a chance. You've held out long enough for an upgrade and by golly you deserve it :D

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Yup your screwed! haha once you get a taste of qaulity graphite its game over, nothing less will do. The same thing happened to me brotha, only it was a sage z-axis that ruined me. Listen, if your looking for inexpensive steelhead gear, the TFO deer creek series of switch and spey rods are damn good for the money. Also the new series of reddington prospector two handed rods are nasty too for around $350. The next step up would be a buelah spey rod at around $450-550, these rods cast like $700+ rods so, price to performance ratio is insane. Mind you, I'm just talking two handers for steelhead and swinging flies. Let me know if you have any more specific questions im a gear friggin' junky who's also in school, so I feel ya. Be good