Compare Mystic Reaper vs. TFO BVK in an 8 or 9 wt

MAD777

Reaction score
South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshi
This purchase will be my first venture beyond a 7wt. and I am a $200 rod guy. I'll be using it for saltwater in the surf and around bays in Florida. I've narrowed my choice between a Mystic Reaper and a TFO BVK.

I've been fly fishing only a couple of years. The rods I really like are Mystic Reaper in 4 & 5 wt. which I slightly prefer over Winston Passports of the same weight. I didn't like TFO TiCrX (a broomstick) nor the Ross Essence FW, also in those weights. Another rod that really like is Redington RS4 in a 3 and 7 wt. (sadly discontinued).

I realize that a rod that is superb in one weight may not be all that in another weight. Unfortunately, I don't have a fly shop where I can cast these rods, so I depend on advice in this forum and reviews like Yellowstone Angler. They gave a stellar review of the BVK in their 8wt shootout, but they also loved the Mystic Reaper compared to the rods in their 5wt shootout (all compared to other inexpensive rods).

So, I'm asking for your help in pushing me off the fence, either toward a Reaper or a BVK in the 8 or 9 wt category.

BTW, what a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable forum this is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbrown

Reaction score
The 8 weight BVK is a great casting rod!!!
Never heard of the mystic reaper so looked them up. A couple thing stood out under the warrantee. First it's 50 bucks...TFO is 25.....second, says it doesn't cover angler error....TFO covers everything. It's impossible to beat the TFO warrantee department.
Again...the 8 weight TFO BVK is a great rod..light with great action.

nick k

Reaction score
Just a quick note about the actual rod weights you are considering. If you already have a 7wt (or multiple 7wts), I would strongly consider going with a 9wt over an 8wt. A 1wt difference is not much and might not even be noticeable. If you don't have a lot of rods, try to keep larger gaps in between your sizes.

MAD777

Reaction score
Bobbrown, I thinking the very popular BVK would be the safer way to go. Although, don't pass up a chance to cast a Reaper if the opportunity arrises.

Nick, I've been thinking the same thing about going to a 9wt. I'm afraid that the 8wt won't satisfy me and cause me to buy yet another rod.

Thanks for the good advice guys!

yareelohim

Reaction score
I recently purchased a BVK and just LOVE this fly rod.

Most reviews say to over line the rod so I bought a 6wt with the intention to put 7wt line on.

It cast great with a 6wt but is a dream overlined to 7wt.

I would urge you to go with a 8wt BVK and over line it to 9wt. PM and I will send you an eBay link where you can find NIB 8wt BVK for under $200.

I bought mine for $140 :)

Here is a little video of my first time casting the 6wt rod with a 7wt RIO Steelhead line at our bass pond.

[ame]http://youtu.be/8sNcQX6B6jk[/ame]

bobbrown

Reaction score
I use mine for striped bass, redfish, and bones. A rio outbound short in 8 weight for 8 weight rod is perfect for those applications...but you got to know how to shoot line. On the outbound short I would not overline.
But again..if your a trout type guy and love to hang a lot of line in the air it may not be for you. But, if you want to false cast once with 30 feet in the shoot a bunch of line..then it's perfect.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Foorgot...a lot of guys have used my outfit for baby tarpon and everyone loves it for that application.

yareelohim

Reaction score
Bbrown,

I have had my eye on that outbound short. Just purchased the RIO Steelhead for heavy nymph and streamer fishing from a drift boat.

How do you think the outbound short would perform with a heavy nymph rig?

MAD777

Reaction score
Here is more evidence to the importance of casting a rod before purchase.

I was Googling more info on BVK rods and landed a post on another forum where a caster stated that he had cast both a BVK 8wt and 9wt back to back.

In his opinion, the 8wt loaded up nicely and cast beautifully, whereas the 9wt was a broomstick. Now I'm stuck again but I will exercise patience until I can actually cast both weights of a BVK.

bobbrown

Reaction score
Concerning the outbound short and heavy nymph rig...boy....I have no idea.
The head is a very large 30 foot head with a very small running line. Shoots line incredibly well. I use it on saltwater estuary streams with strong moving water. The running line mends well but doesn't mend the head that well.
As a nymph rig line...I just don't know. Maybe someone who has used it for that application can help

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Bbrown,

I have had my eye on that outbound short. Just purchased the RIO Steelhead for heavy nymph and streamer fishing from a drift boat.

How do you think the outbound short would perform with a heavy nymph rig?
The OBS will cast a nymph rig well.

When it comes to line control, it is absolutely lousy once the head is away from the tip top. All you will be mending is running line.

Dennis