Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I have a Superfine Touch 2wt. Very slow and VERY fun. It says its for short casts, but don't be disappointed, I can bomb line out with flies most people tell me I can't cast with a 2wt.

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

By far the slowest action graphite I've ever cast are Walton Powell's original standard graphite fly rods. He and his son used to argue about the fact that Walt's rods were sooooo slow...which was how he liked them. And they are not expensive and pop up on eBay from time to time. They are the dark gray graphite that say The Walton Powell Rod or A Walton Powell Rod on them. Very very slow.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I can personally attest to the old Scott G-series and the Winston WT-series as slow graphite rods. Well, at least the Scott G905 2-piece and the Winston WT904 3-piece anyway. Both are quality rods.

I also understand that the Orvis Superfine series and Sage LL series are nice rods with a slower action. I don't have any experience with them though.

I also built a 0/1WT rod on a Dan Craft Signature IV blank that is pretty darn slow. I like it a lot:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI"]I like it a lot[/ame].
    Cheers,
    --Rob

6. Default Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

Redington Classic Trout, or the new version, the Tempt, are some of the slowest graphite rods out there. I heard the newer Orvis Superfines are a bit faster than the old ones.

Randy

The new "king" of slow graphite would have to be the Sage Circa. Outside the Circa most companies' slowest graphite would be considered "medium" action. In addition to the rods already mentioned I would add the St Croix Avid, Scott G2 and the old Sage SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    The new "king" of slow graphite would have to be the Sage Circa. Outside the Circa most companies' slowest graphite would be considered "medium" action. In addition to the rods already mentioned I would add the St Croix Avid, Scott G2 and the old Sage SPL.
    I had the predecessor to the Sage SPL, an 8'-6" five weight Sage SP. It was a very similar action to the Scott, so much so that when I broke it last summer (I bought it in 97), and sent it back to Sage, they offered me another rod and suggested the ZXL as a similar action, but I opted for the Z-Axis because the SP was too close to my Scott so I rarely used it.

John

I use an 8' 4weight orvis superfine touch and I'd have to say I think this is the "king" of soft and slow action graphite. I've used the winston bIIT, and WT trout rods along with a 3 weight sage circa. For the soft graphite dry fly application I easily like the touch rod the most and it flexes deeper than the other rods so I would absolutely recommend this rod.

10. Likes fly_guy12955 liked this post

I don't think I've ever seen a rod advertised as "slow"; I suppose for marketing purposes it might be considered a negative description?
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

I mainly use a Orvis Superfine Touch, and while it is slower than my other rods, I would consider it to be more medium action than anything. Based on my limited experience with the circa, the 5 weight felt more bendy than my 4 weight superfine.

13. Default Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

My 1980s vintage SAGE 590 DS has a slow action. The rod bends right into the butt with moderate powered casts. My two early 90s vintage 586 DS2s are medium action.

14. Likes wannafish liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast