SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

flymoron

Reaction score
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite

thanks

sageandonion

Reaction score
I've been asking about the Sage Circa, which some have said is like cane. The Winston BIIt is also cane-like according to those who know both. (I'm guessing that glass and cane are similarly slow.) Alternatively, find a medium action rod and over-line it.

glcaddis

Reaction score
Some of the older Orvis rods were pretty slow. I think their Superfine series is on the slow side of medium. The Hexagraph rods were very slow. I have an IM6 Winston that is quite slow as well. While some of the newer rods aren't terribly fast, most of them are at least "...crisp.'

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite.
It's a misconception that all fiberglass is SLOOOWWWW.
Graphite on the other hand has been marketed from the get-go to be faster action and with tighter loops.
What makes you think that you're not interested in fiberglass ?

imxer

Reaction score
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite

thanks
----------------------
FM

Mark Steffen built some slow action graphite blanks during the early years of his rod building company.
You could contact him to ask if he has any of those blanks still around. Now refers to his graphite rods as medium action but compared to most modern rod companies, no doubt many fisherman would call them slow.
Google: Steffen Brothers Rod Company. Very nice man.
Best of Luck

Paul

jaybo41

Reaction score
Winston WT and Sage Circa would be the two that come to mind in current production. There are plenty of other discontinued options from both that may also fit the bill.

Not sure about the new Orvis Superfines, but the discontinued Superfine Troutbums in full flex were pretty darn sweet if you like a slower stroke. There are a few of Orvis Far & Fine aficionados on the forum, they're discontinued but do appear every so often.

ghocevar

Reaction score
Winston WT and Sage Circa would be the two that come to mind in current production. There are plenty of other discontinued options from both that may also fit the bill.

Not sure about the new Orvis Superfines, but the discontinued Superfine Troutbums in full flex were pretty darn sweet if you like a slower stroke. There are a few of Orvis Far & Fine aficionados on the forum, they're discontinued but do appear every so often.
Ditto...The Orvis Far & Fine, as well as the Winston IM6, are both slow action. I believe the WT may have replaced the IM6 in the winston product line but I could be wrong. All three are very similar in swing weight and action.

The new Superfines, along with the troutbums, are a little bit crisper than the ones previously discussed but are a still slow action rod.

russellb

Reaction score
I'm not sure the weight you are looking for but my Winston GVX 7'6 3wt is very soft, very slow action. Additionally, I personally think the Scott G series can be placed in the slow column as well.

nick k

Reaction score
I have a Superfine Touch 2wt. Very slow and VERY fun. It says its for short casts, but don't be disappointed, I can bomb line out with flies most people tell me I can't cast with a 2wt.

rmorrison

Reaction score
By far the slowest action graphite I've ever cast are Walton Powell's original standard graphite fly rods. He and his son used to argue about the fact that Walt's rods were sooooo slow...which was how he liked them. And they are not expensive and pop up on eBay from time to time. They are the dark gray graphite that say The Walton Powell Rod or A Walton Powell Rod on them. Very very slow.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I can personally attest to the old Scott G-series and the Winston WT-series as slow graphite rods. Well, at least the Scott G905 2-piece and the Winston WT904 3-piece anyway. Both are quality rods.

I also understand that the Orvis Superfine series and Sage LL series are nice rods with a slower action. I don't have any experience with them though.

I also built a 0/1WT rod on a Dan Craft Signature IV blank that is pretty darn slow. I like it a lot:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI"]I like it a lot[/ame].

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Redington Classic Trout, or the new version, the Tempt, are some of the slowest graphite rods out there. I heard the newer Orvis Superfines are a bit faster than the old ones.

Randy

fireroad

Reaction score
The new "king" of slow graphite would have to be the Sage Circa. Outside the Circa most companies' slowest graphite would be considered "medium" action. In addition to the rods already mentioned I would add the St Croix Avid, Scott G2 and the old Sage SPL.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
The new "king" of slow graphite would have to be the Sage Circa. Outside the Circa most companies' slowest graphite would be considered "medium" action. In addition to the rods already mentioned I would add the St Croix Avid, Scott G2 and the old Sage SPL.
I had the predecessor to the Sage SPL, an 8'-6" five weight Sage SP. It was a very similar action to the Scott, so much so that when I broke it last summer (I bought it in 97), and sent it back to Sage, they offered me another rod and suggested the ZXL as a similar action, but I opted for the Z-Axis because the SP was too close to my Scott so I rarely used it.

John

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
I use an 8' 4weight orvis superfine touch and I'd have to say I think this is the "king" of soft and slow action graphite. I've used the winston bIIT, and WT trout rods along with a 3 weight sage circa. For the soft graphite dry fly application I easily like the touch rod the most and it flexes deeper than the other rods so I would absolutely recommend this rod.

Reaction score
I mainly use a Orvis Superfine Touch, and while it is slower than my other rods, I would consider it to be more medium action than anything. Based on my limited experience with the circa, the 5 weight felt more bendy than my 4 weight superfine.

rhr

Reaction score
My 1980s vintage SAGE 590 DS has a slow action. The rod bends right into the butt with moderate powered casts. My two early 90s vintage 586 DS2s are medium action.