recommendation for an 8wt rod?

romanl

Reaction score
so i've decided my next rod will be 8wt for Carp / Pike and occasional salt water fish, so basically some bigger fish.
any recommendations?
i dont have a certain budget set in mind, so open to all opinions,
i dont think ill be buying $800 rod, but i also wont be buying bottom of the range $150 rods, so anything good in the middle range??
Sage, Scott, Orvis, Redington, St.Croix, Ross, ??

and while at it, any good and not too crazy expensive reels to match?
thanks

kc8qvo

Reaction score
Something you haven't asked about is line. I think this is as important, if not more so, than the rod and reel selection. The reel essentially holds the line, but if you get a big fish on there you need a drag system that you are comfortable with and trust. So that would be my concern in choosing a reel in that line weight - a good drag. I would also say a large arbor design will suit that environment better and a mid arbor.

As for the rod - my preference for the heavier rods is a tip-flex rod over a mid-flex. The tip's will be a little faster action.

Sage, Winston, and Orvis would be my preference, more so Orvis than the others. To that point an 8wt 9 foot Access rod would be in the ballpark of what you're looking at ~$425 for the rod.

I would NOT buy the Access reel. First off, it isn't a large arbor, and second I would not have the trust in that reel on a bigger rod/fish. I have one on my 4wt rod and it does fine there, but if I had to do it over again I would have picked something else. It just doesn't impress me quality-wise.

Line -

Tailor the line for what you want to do. I am guessing you have other rods in other weights (lighter?). So to that point you can isolate your types of fishing. If your purpose with the 8wt rod is to fish bigger water, bigger fish, and bigger flies then make sure you match that with a line that is going to deliver your flies. A good place to start is Scientific Anglers Titan Taper line. You have 2 things working for you with it - #1 = a heavy, thick weight forward taper that will carry a lot of weight, comparatively. #2 = the skin on the line is textured, not smooth. This will reduce drag through the rod as you cast because less of the line contacts the guides.

I have the SA Titan Taper on a 6wt rod and, compared to the WF trout line I had on there before, it totally transformed the capabilities of the rod. Where I used to struggle and get frustrated throwing bigger streamers and terrestrials the new line makes casting them a ton easier. I would imagine that capability would be even better on an 8wt over my 6wt.

Another thought on the heavier weight rods is the heavier the weight the less you'll be able to cast/handle it before wearing yourself out. I don't really consider that myself, but it may be a consideration in your fishing. You may burn your arm out quicker than, say, fishing with a 4wt.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
If you have a local fly shop, visit it. Tell the sales guy what your budget is, and test cast a few rods. You can get ten schmucks on this forum to recommend rods for you. All ten of them will have their casting preferences, but the only preference that matters is yours.

As for reels, tell the sales guy your budget and what your needs are. Since you are talking eight weight, make sure that the reel has a quality drag. n regards to sealed versus non-sealed drag, that will be up to you. Since it will be at the occasional saltwater environment, it has to have a quality finish for corrosion resistance.

Dennis

moucheur2003

Reaction score
St. Croix Legend Elite.

Islander or Bauer reel.

Worth looking into.
Haven't cast the Legend Elite myself, but based on its reputation that's where I'd start looking in your price range. I'd also try the TFO BVK and the Orvis Access.

The Islander and Bauer are Ferrari reels at Ferrari prices. If your looking for a tough Jeep that can go almost anywhere, have a look at the Orvis Hydros reel instead. (Unlike kc8qvo above, I think the even less expensive Access reel might be a good choice too, especially if you prefer a mid-arbor with more backing capacity, but the Hydros probably has a better drag system if you're going to give it a lot of hard use.)

ruttness

Reaction score
look into allen rods and reels, they are unbeatable when it comes to the ratio between price and performance

another good quality rod at a great price point would be TFO and they have a no questions asked warranty.

romanl

Reaction score
thanks,
yes reel will be quality (no Access if i go with Orvis, as i do want Large arbor with good drag)
i will be buying from a local shop, so i will go cast them before buying, i was just trying to get some opinions from those that have 8wt's

good advice on the line... ill make sure to check that one one.

as i said, i plan on using this rod for Carp, Pike and occasional salt water trip.

Sep

Reaction score
... test cast a few rods. You can get ten schmucks on this forum to recommend rods for you. All ten of them will have their casting preferences, but the only preference that matters is yours...
Amen!!! Lots of good sticks in the range you are looking at. Only you will know which is the best. Well said, Dennis.

Mike

gutterpunk

Reaction score
in recently looking for some 8 wt gear myself, I discovered that you can find some good mid-range stuff at decent prices. But, more importantly, you can find the "best" used for great prices. I'm not going to rule out buying a new rod or reel, but you can find a mint Sage rod for $300 or an Abel Super 8 for $320 (or less). That's still pricey (and I have lower end stuff that fishes perfectly), but I'm not sure why i'd spend about the same amount for new when so much gear that was the hot stuff just a couple years ago is available at the same price point.

fireroad

Reaction score
The Sage VXP, St Croix Legend Elite and the TFO BVK should all be on your "to cast" list. The VXP and Legend Elite are phenomenal rods. The BVK is a little stiff for my taste but has a huge following on this board. The Scott A4 may or may not be a winner, the A3 series was best in 6wt and below but the A4 was supposed to correct that.

romanl

Reaction score
well over past few weeks i went out and cast quite a few rods (didnt get to St.crox Legend Elite, but its ok as it was a bit over my price range of $400 and under)

SAGE RESPONSE 9ft 8wt is what i settled on.
2 rods that were right behind it were:
TFO BVK (felt a little too stiff and more like a broom stick, not enough feedback/load feel), while it was great rod, it just wasnt as good as Sage Response
REDIGNTON Link ($400, but was on sale for $250) while when full price its same as Sage i got, it just lik BVK felt a little too stiff for me. seems rods that have a little more feedback/medium action work best for me.
both BVK and LINK would throw line just as far as RESPONSE, but Response did it effortlessly and while im no expert caster, line would always go where i wanted it and in a very straight line. where other 2 rods not so much.
if i had to pick, i would have gone with Link over BVK i think.
one thing that stood out the most about Sage Response when compared to all other rods, is that it felt more like a 5WT in my hand, very very light swing weight and really does not hurt my arm, where after casting other rods for a bit, my arm would stiffen up and hurt a bit.