Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod

tridentfly

Trident Fly Fishing
Reaction score
This year was full of great new product introductions. Great new rods came out from Winston, Redington, Hardy, etc. But I’m always waiting to see what comes off the bench of Jerry Siem from Sage. This year boasted two new releases: the Method, which replaces the TCX, and the all-new Motive, a “low” cost saltwater rod.

We talked about the Method’s release in an earlier post and many asked for a review… here it is – straight from iCast 2013.

For more information on Sage Method 8-weight rod please read Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod Review / Trident Fly Fishing

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Have you sampled enough Methods to ascertain if there is a "sweet spot" in this series? Like in TCX I felt it was the #7...never pulled the trigger though I fished one in the southern Bahamas once.

chipgerrard

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe they canceled the tcx. I own the 8 weight switch for steelhead and love it!

I still think it is the best looking rod out there. That green is amazing.

As for the method, I will not buy one just because its ugly.

krikau27

Reaction score
Love my TCX 9' 7wt. Even though Method will be a TCX with connetic technology, I wouldn't buy one cause the color is just too girly. :)

Oooh look at that guy. He's a world champion caster. It will be known as the gay rod. :)
Kim

chipgerrard

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Love my TCX 9' 7wt. Even though Method will be a TCX with connetic technology, I wouldn't buy one cause the color is just too girly. :)

Oooh look at that guy. He's a world champion caster. It will be known as the gay rod. :)
Kim
Hah. Couldn't agree more. You interested in selling that 9' 7wt. I'm looking for a 7 or 8 weight. If anyone has one let me know

Thanks

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea people would be so free to admit that they think the color of their fly rod says something about their manhood. :eek:

Edit to say: I'll rock a fluorescent pink rod with a Hello Kitty reel if that's the best gear to catch whatever I'm targeting.

Last edited:

krikau27

Reaction score
Hah. Couldn't agree more. You interested in selling that 9' 7wt. I'm looking for a 7 or 8 weight. If anyone has one let me know

Thanks
I love my TCX too much to sell it. :)

Kim

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Wow, I had no idea people would be so free to admit that they think the color of their fly rod says something about their manhood. :eek:

Edit to say: I'll rock a fluorescent pink rod with a Hello Kitty reel if that's the best gear to catch whatever I'm targeting.
It was ment more or less as a joke :)

Kim

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have thoroughly appreciated the specialized virtues of TCR and TCX models as super potent, super accurate specialty rods. If Method is lighter and more accurate with enhanced responsiveness, I will happily fish a red rod. These rods specialized nature targets them to a minority of fly fishers to begin with and apparently their color may further limit the elite cadre that ultimately take advantage of their [anticipated] tactical precision.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I cast a 6wt Method today. The picture they have on their site makes it way brighter red then it actually is. Its more of a maroon, its almost the same color as my truck actually, we compaired.

it casts nice, it was accurate, but it felt "soulless" There just wasnt anything there casting it. I mentioned that and Craig told me that he felt the same way...until you start aiming at 50+ feet, then it really starts to sing. i said I liked the Cira and TCX better ( especially since I was picking up my 7wt TCX ) and he agreed.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
I've been a long time sage customer and currently own 3 sage models, two z-axis rods and a VXP. I have to say I am very dissapointed that sage is moving away from number & letter designations such as tcx, txl-f, zxl, vxp, 99, Xi3. I don't think I'll ever be able to get on board with sage giving rods actual names. I wonder If I am the only one that feels this way :/

Its not a huge deal obviously, but for those of us that appreciate tradition in the sport, sage's number/letter designations for rod designs has always been a nice and unique feature of their rods charm. Anyway, my two cents.

winxp_man

Reaction score
I have a spey 9wt TCX and have yet to test the waters with it but I will during this years salmon season! Also have a 6wt switch and plan on getting the 5 and 7 wt TCX's before they are sold no more. Great fast action rods. I dont care about color I would even fish a pink rod if I had to, but I will be trying out the method when it comes out.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've been a long time sage customer and currently own 3 sage models, two z-axis rods and a VXP. I have to say I am very dissapointed that sage is moving away from number & letter designations such as tcx, txl-f, zxl, vxp, 99, Xi3. I don't think I'll ever be able to get on board with sage giving rods actual names. I wonder If I am the only one that feels this way :/

Its not a huge deal obviously, but for those of us that appreciate tradition in the sport, sage's number/letter designations for rod designs has always been a nice and unique feature of their rods charm. Anyway, my two cents.
I'm with you on this. I've always enjoyed the alphanumeric naming designations Sage has given to their rods over the years. Like you, not a deal breaker. I'm less concerned with the names as I am them continuing to make rods that I enjoy fishing. Lord knows I've got enough of the older models to keep me busy for a while :teef:

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I've always enjoyed the alphanumeric naming designations Sage has given to their rods over the years. Like you, not a deal breaker. I'm less concerned with the names as I am them continuing to make rods that I enjoy fishing. Lord knows I've got enough of the older models to keep me busy for a while :teef:
Just so I understand, it's a letters/symbols vs. words thing?

Sage & Abel

Reaction score

This isn't exactly new for Sage. You can go back and find rods such as the Launch, Flight and Vantage.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Just so I understand, it's a letters/symbols vs. words thing?
Probably more my OCD coming into play than anything else. While I'd prefer the older style naming convention, it's not in any way a deal breaker.

This isn't exactly new for Sage. You can go back and find rods such as the Launch, Flight and Vantage.
Good point. Those may actually be the first rods that started the trend.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
But at the same time with the vantage and flight they had the TCX, Xi3, 99, etc. Maybe they were priming us for the change

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
right, the ONE is the beginning and part of this new name designation trend. The z-axis seemed like the exception to the rule b/c its not just a name designation hence the Z-. Trying to get technical and spark an argument is silly sweetsalt. There are are simply some of us that don't appreciate the direction sage is going with their rod names, period.