Moderate/Fast Rod - But what line?

Schlick

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've ordered a St. Croix Reign rod - 9ft, 5wt, 2 piece. I'm new to the wonderful world lf fly fishing so could use your expert advise. I've been told the most important things are your rod and your line.... I chose the Reign, as it fit my budget and comes with a Lifetime Warranty.

Now for the line. What 5 weight would you recommend for a beginner hoping to entice a few trout and bass once the rivers open.

Am I right in assuming that any reel will really do for now (as a beginner). I'm looking for inexpensive - Love the look of the trion, but not comfortable with the price. I'll probably check out the Ross FlyCast, or the Okuma SLV series.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Jon.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I also almost bought a Ross Flycast. Absolutely nothing wrong with that reel for a beginner. I ended up with a Albright Bugati reel and got in the mail the other day. Fit my budget, looks good, has a great drag, large arbor, reputable smaller company.....I really like it.

Oh...about the fly line...I just picked up a SA Mastery series GPX trout line for 35 bucks at my local fly shop. They said SA is updating the series of lines and they wanted to get rid of these to make room for the new ones. I have heard a lot of good things about this particular fly line and decided to pick it up for 35 bucks. WF F 5wt.

Maybe if you ask around you could find a similar deal on these lines.

Good luck.

Curtis

Reaction score
Cortland 444 classic peach colored line. About the most supple line I have found and very easy casting. Get the double taper. You wont be carrying a lot of line but a DT is easier to learn on especially roll casting.

mojo

Reaction score
Cortland 444 classic peach colored line. About the most supple line I have found and very easy casting. Get the double taper. You wont be carrying a lot of line but a DT is easier to learn on especially roll casting.
Curtis and Schlick, you might just have to break down and give Rio a whirl. Gold, STII, or Grand. Can't go wrong with any of them. Plus they really float. No tip sinkers at all. I'll never go back to SA, Cortland, Wulff or Orvis either.
p.s. Airflo Ridgeline is one you might want to look at too.

GreatBay

Reaction score
Mojo,
Actually he can go wrong with some of the Rio's. especially the Grand. It's not rated at a 5 weight, it's actually a 1/2 size bigger, and depending on the action, specifically if the St. Croix is a medium action it may overload the rod at long distances.
Tricky stuff picking fly lines for a rod, especially when the rod manufacturers don't have a standard to follow, and that St. Croix may actually be a 4 weight or 6 weight depending on the grains needed to load the rod at 30 feet.

mojo

Reaction score
Mojo,
Actually he can go wrong with some of the Rio's. especially the Grand. It's not rated at a 5 weight, it's actually a 1/2 size bigger, and depending on the action, specifically if the St. Croix is a medium action it may overload the rod at long distances.
Tricky stuff picking fly lines for a rod, especially when the rod manufacturers don't have a standard to follow, and that St. Croix may actually be a 4 weight or 6 weight depending on the grains needed to load the rod at 30 feet.
You are absolutly correct. The Grand is made for fast action rods. My apologies for the screw up.:(

Schlick

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The rod is actually rated as Moderate / Fast - not sure if that means it's a fast action rod, or a medium rod that plays out a little fast.

I was thinking of an S/A trout line, or their GPX or XPS. I was also considering the Rio Trout or Windcutter lines.

I am after a floating line to use river fishing the Grand River and some of its tributaries in Ontario (fairly large rivers with smaller tributaries) for Trout and Small Mouth Bass.

I've looked at the Cortland Peach but worry as you don't get very much line - although I can use more backing I suppose.

Kit so far includes the St. Croix 9ft 2 piece rod (rated Moderate/Fast action) and a 5wt Pflueger Summit reel.

Any further line recommendations or direction would greatly be appreciated - trout season is almost upon us.

Thanks.

Schlick.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Schlick,

I have never seen or casted a Reign rod. The Reign is made with what St Croix calls SC11 graphite. I think you will find it a moderate action rod. If it was me I would be looking at the RIO Gold fly line. It just seems a good fit for your rod and fishing large and small waters. Hard to tell with out casting the rod.

Frank

Schlick

Reaction score
Thanks Frank.

I'll be checking out both the Rio Gold, and the Rio Selective Trout II. Any further feed back on either is always appreciated. The guy at the shop recommended the Gold also.

Schlick

GRN

Reaction score
Gold or Windcutter... and on a med/fast rod I wouldn't take Grand off the table, it was designed originally for beginners to enhance the feel and timing for casting skill development, and won't start to overload the rod 'til you have quite a bit of it out there. We line it up on new Launches (med/fast) for first timers all of the time, works out great and they usually don't outgrow it 'til they've worn it out anyway... YMMV :smile:

TL's~

burk48237

Reaction score
I've fished the Grand a lot. I usually get up there at least once a season with John Valk or Rob Heal of Grindstone Angler. It is a great trout stream. As far as Cortland lines, I'd recommend you try the Cortland Precision Trout Dyna Tip. As far as tip sinkers, if Mojo thinks all Cortland makes is tip sinkers he hasn't tried Dyna Tip as it floats like a Cork. The Dyna Tip material is lighter then water, thinner so it lands softer (we don't need to stick a loop and thicken the tip with micro bubbles to make it float). The line is real supple, a key to good presentations on the Grand's picky trout. The taper is not an aggressive "distance" taper and the line is not designed to overload your rod. Their are too many situations on the Grand when you are down to sz. 20-22 flies and 6X tippets and accuracy, and the ability to mend will be much more important then the distance you'll get in a parking lot.

As far as other companies lines, I have heard a lot of good about selective trout from Rio, And the SA GPX is a nice line. Stay away from Grand and Gold, both are overload distance lines, the same is true with ED from SA. Most of your fishing on the Grand will be within 40 feet.

For the record their are some nice fish in the Grand, this is from two years ago on a sz.20 Caddis with a 6X tippet:

BigCliff

Reaction score
As far as other companies lines, I have heard a lot of good about selective trout from Rio, And the SA GPX is a nice line. Stay away from Grand and Gold, both are overload distance lines, the same is true with ED from SA. Most of your fishing on the Grand will be within 40 feet.

I'm not disputing any of the rest of it, but I think you've got it a bit backwards on the SA lines. The GPX is the original "heavier for its weight to better load faster rods" line, while the Expert Distance is not heavy for its weight. Its designed to cast long by aerializing more line, not by shooting. (its also a bit stiffer than most, which is helpful in the hot months)

I think SA's Trout line would be a good option for the initial poster- a pretty presenting line that isn't heavy for its designated weight, but not as gentle as the XPS.

burk48237

Reaction score
CLIFF I'm not disputing any of the rest of it, but I think you've got it a bit backwards on the SA lines. The GPX is the original "heavier for its weight to better load faster rods" line, while the Expert Distance is not heavy for its weight. Its designed to cast long by aerializing more line, not by shooting. (its also a bit stiffer than most, which is helpful in the hot months)

I think SA's Trout line would be a good option for the initial poster- a pretty presenting line that isn't heavy for its designated weight, but not as gentle as the XPS.
Cliff, good point. I pulled my SA recommendations by memory. I haven't thrown one in a couple of years. I should have checked the catalog. Either way, that is not a river where distance is a priority. So I would stay away from lines designed fro throwing in the wind, most of it isn't real open, and concentrate on lines that will present a fly quietly to the fish. In the lower Grand about three years ago, I hit some of the most technical trout fishing I've ever hit in my life. We were working sz 22 Blue wing olive spinners (rusty) with 7x tippets in flat water over big Bows. I hooked two and broke of on booth. It is one of the best (if not the best) dry fly rivers in the East. The only other one in the same class is the Delaware in NY.

mojo

Reaction score
I've fished the Grand a lot. I usually get up there at least once a season with John Valk or Rob Heal of Grindstone Angler. It is a great trout stream. As far as Cortland lines, I'd recommend you try the Cortland Precision Trout Dyna Tip. As far as tip sinkers, if Mojo thinks all Cortland makes is tip sinkers he hasn't tried Dyna Tip as it floats like a Cork. The Dyna Tip material is lighter then water, thinner so it lands softer (we don't need to stick a loop and thicken the tip with micro bubbles to make it float). The line is real supple, a key to good presentations on the Grand's picky trout. The taper is not an aggressive "distance" taper and the line is not designed to overload your rod. Their are too many situations on the Grand when you are down to sz. 20-22 flies and 6X tippets and accuracy, and the ability to mend will be much more important then the distance you'll get in a parking lot.

For the record their are some nice fish in the Grand, this is from two years ago on a sz.20 Caddis with a 6X tippet:
Burk, I know you're a Cortland rep, and I respect that. No I haven't tried the Dyna tip yet. I would love to try it one day, but alas, I like my Rio. You are correct with the Grand being one half weight heavier, but the Gold is -what you see is what you get. A 5w is a 5w line. Are you by any chance going to the Idaho Fly Tying Expo in April or the ISE Show in Salt Lake this month?

burk48237

Reaction score
Burk, I know you're a Cortland rep, and I respect that. No I haven't tried the Dyna tip yet. I would love to try it one day, but alas, I like my Rio. You are correct with the Grand being one half weight heavier, but the Gold is -what you see is what you get. A 5w is a 5w line. Are you by any chance going to the Idaho Fly Tying Expo in April or the ISE Show in Salt Lake this month?
No, I cover MI, OH, IN, KY, and TN. I don't know which shows our Idaho and Utah reps are doing. If you like Rio thats fine, they make some fine lines. The Gold is still IMO a little to aggressive a taper for a stream like the Grand. the Selective trout on the other hand makes sense. You guys out west, even on your small streams have a lot more wind to deal with. It's those wide open spaces. The Grand is closer to a spring creek in presentation.

Yukon Jack

Reaction score
Greetings Shlick,
I just bought the same rod myself the St. Croix Reign 9' 5wt last weekend. I have been researching these lines Cortland, SA, and Rio. and I have decided to go with the "Rio Selective Trout II" in a weight forward. It is designed for a medium action rods. Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Selective Trout II Fly Line

I have read a lot of great feedback on this line on another forum that I check out. The only knock I read was one guy said he did not like the camo colored line, he had some trouble at times seeing the line while casting.

Good luck with your selection. Let us know what you end up getting.

Yukon Jack

Schlick

Reaction score
Yukon Jack.

That's so funny... I've decided to go with the Rio Selective Tout as well. It retails for about $60 here in Canada. I feel it may help with more delicate presentations.

How do you like the new rod? I haven't got mine yet - should be in this week or next. I kept going back and forth between the Reign and the Avid - please let me know your thoughts on your new Reign. I sure can't wait to have mine.

Schlick.

Yukon Jack

Reaction score
Hey Schlick,

When I first started reading your post I was like what the heck I don't remember posting this, I was even looking at the same reels that you were! They say that everybody has a twin somewhere, your not by chance 49 years old, 6'1", and 230 lbs? If so Mom called and she needs some work done around her place. I will tell her you will be over this weekend to do it. :D

I did sneak down to the river this last weekend for about a hour to try out my new rod, I had a old 5wt line on a reel from one of my old rods so I put that on the Reign to test it out.

Even though the wind was blowing pretty hard, I was very happy with the way it felt and cast, I really liked the way it roll casts. I think with the new line it should be a awesome rod for me. I called the local fly shop to see if he had the Rio Selective Trout II line but they were out of the 5wt wf so it will be a week or so before I get mine.

Let me know what you think of yours setup when you get it.

Yukon Jack

Schlick

Reaction score
Yukon Jack - that is too funny. Let me know if you're ever in southern ontario and want to go fishing. I ended up ordering the Reign, but because of a shipping mix up, the rod never showed up at my local shop. I bought the Avid 9ft, 5wt, 2 piece rod off of them instead. I got a Pflueger Summit 1565 (5wt) off of eBay for $50. I love the reel, but would have rather bought the Trion, just a little more than I wanted to spend on a reel though - I have a bunch of Pflueger spinning reels and find them incredibly smooth. I will totally be buying the Rio Selective Trout II (WF) line.

The rod is great - haven't had it out on the river yet, but works great in the driveway :). If I had to do it again, I may have got the 5wt in an 8.6 and definitely a 4 piece. I could see it getting left at home on a lot of family adventures as it chews up a lot of vehicle space (plus the wife already hinted at that).

Jon.

Yukon Jack

Reaction score
Hi Schlick,
It sounds like you have yourself a nice setup. If I ever get up your way I will be sure to give you a yell. Let me know how you like the Avid after you have had a chance to get it out on the water.

Our local river closed this weekend until June 1st. I might try out a couple lakes after all the ice is off in another week or so.

Yukon Jack